Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

1 minute ago, UPinCarolina said:

I think that we'll need Nacho on the pitch, as the interplay between him and Vardy might help us to breakdown their press.

Either way, this will be a stouter test than we might have expected after the absolute drubbing we put on them earlier this season.

Agree. I think Nacho and one of either Perez or Barnes in the front three with Vards.

5 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This month is going to be important to us because we have a very difficult February ahead of us. Would really benefit us if we get the ball rolling (no pun intended) with a win tomorrow. However, Southampton are in good form and have a prolific stiker in form too. I am not expecting a win here, but I hope we have enought o get over the line and grab 3 points. Don't care how.

Think that is it in a nutshell, 2 winnable games (first against a side with something to prove).  6 pts from Saturday & Burnley away and it becomes very tough for Manure, Wolves & Spuds to catch us and puts us much closer to 70pts with plenty of games to get there.  At the point where have no concern about the performance whatsoever, (see Everton H), just fall over the line anyhow and get the 3pts.

Question - who or what is a stiker??:D

5 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This month is going to be important to us because we have a very difficult February ahead of us. Would really benefit us if we get the ball rolling (no pun intended) with a win tomorrow. However, Southampton are in good form and have a prolific stiker in form too. I am not expecting a win here, but I hope we have enought o get over the line and grab 3 points. Don't care how.

Think that is it in a nutshell, 2 winnable games (first against a side with something to prove).  6 pts from Saturday & Burnley away and it becomes very tough for Manure, Wolves & Spuds to catch us and puts us much closer to 70pts with plenty of games to get there.  At the point where have no concern about the performance whatsoever, (see Everton H), just fall over the line anyhow and get the 3pts.

6 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

A sticker of a striker? Unfortunately not the only error in my post either. No time to proof read in life.

36 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Oh yeah - as everybody seems a bit nervy about this one (me included!!!).

Anybody know if Mike Dean is at Stockley Park for us tomorrow??

Lee Mason is ref.

Darren Bond is VAR. 

Lee Mason did 3 games for us last season (Fleetwood, Man City, Bournemouth). First 2 odd as he is from Lancashire... 

Darren Bond has only refereed EFL Cup or Championship games this season. 67 yellows and 1 Red in 18 games. 

Edited by StanSP

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

KS

RICKY

CHILLWELL 

EVANS 

SOY

HAMZA

MADDISON 

TIELEMANS

PEREZ

VARDY

BARNES 

Worth a try that , Benny's right foot wouldn't be so necessary at centre back.🙃🙃

With Ndidi out and Madders potentially missing this and Chilwell, Barnes, Gray and Tielemans, being terrible and championship standard (I would of included Perez but he seems to be back in favour) things are looking bleak, is there anyone else who can make the numbers up, we’re in dire straits.

We all love a stat don’t we 

• Leicester earned the biggest away win in English top-flight history in the reverse fixture against Southampton, winning 9-0 at St Mary's in October. They last did the Premier League double over Saints in 1999-2000.
  • Southampton won this exact fixture 1-0 last season - they've never won back-to-back away league games against Leicester before.
  • The most goals a team has scored against an opponent in a single Premier League season is 12 - Blackburn against Nottingham Forest in 1995-96 and Tottenham against Wigan in 2009-10.
  • Since losing 9-0 to Leicester, Southampton have conceded just 13 Premier League goals in 11 games - in this time, only Liverpool (7) and Leicester (11) have conceded fewer.
  • Southampton have collected 16 points from their last eight Premier League games (W5 D1 L2), one more than in their previous 20 games in the competition (W3 D6 L11).
  • Ayoze Perez has scored a hat-trick in last two Premier League appearances against Southampton, including in the Foxes 9-0 win in October. No player has ever scored 3+ goals in three consecutive games against an opponent, with Luis Suárez against Norwich the only player to score three hat-tricks against a side in the competition.
  • Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals against Southampton, with all these coming at St Mary's (including a hat-trick in October's 9-0 win). He's faced Saints more often without scoring at home in the Premier League than he has any other side (5).

7 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

• Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals against Southampton, with all these coming at St Mary's (including a hat-trick in October's 9-0 win). He's faced Saints more often without scoring at home in the Premier League than he has any other side (5).

Time for Vardy to break that home duck on his birthday! 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2020 at 04:27, RowlattsFox said:

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Praet

Choudhury

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

Barnes

Little bit harsh on Perez maybe but Iheanacho deserves a start, play him slightly from the right but not too wide, Ricardo can handle it himself and Praet is in there to help out on the right if required. Chopping and changing Tielemans recently for rest purposes probably hasn't helped and he probably needs to play to return to form. Could probably play Perez instead of Barnes but I think that might make us too narrow again. Barnes offers direct running that no one else does, apart from maybe Gray.

Concerned about this, football tends to reverse results like we had there with a win defeat next time we play same opposition. They'll be determined, motivated and are in good form. Can see a 0-0. Key not to fall behind early, makes it so difficult.

“Chopping and changing recently”? Youri missed a grand total of ONE game (vs West Ham).

Guest An Sionnach

We had 70% possession against Villa and 21 goal attempts and drew, Man.City would have had a much better conversion rate. We simply must do better tomorrow.

On 09/01/2020 at 11:25, Foxxed said:

Only Liverpool have better form than Southampton. It won't be easy.

How did you reach that conclusion?

Since we trashed them, apart from losing to Manchester City (which is to be expected), they have lost to Everton, Newcastle and West Ham in the league. Frankly, their only result of any real significance is beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge - and that they curiously seem to have a better away form than home.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that it will not necessarily be an “easy” game (and frankly I do not think any of the remaining league games will be easy). Still I would expect a relatively comfortable win for us, and would be sorely disappointed with anything other than one.

>

Edited by NaijaFox

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

• Leicester earned the biggest away win in English top-flight history in the reverse fixture against Southampton, winning 9-0 at St Mary's in October. They last did the Premier League double over Saints in 1999-2000.
  • Southampton won this exact fixture 1-0 last season - they've never won back-to-back away league games against Leicester before.
  • The most goals a team has scored against an opponent in a single Premier League season is 12 - Blackburn against Nottingham Forest in 1995-96 and Tottenham against Wigan in 2009-10.
  • Since losing 9-0 to Leicester, Southampton have conceded just 13 Premier League goals in 11 games - in this time, only Liverpool (7) and Leicester (11) have conceded fewer.
  • Southampton have collected 16 points from their last eight Premier League games (W5 D1 L2), one more than in their previous 20 games in the competition (W3 D6 L11).
  • Ayoze Perez has scored a hat-trick in last two Premier League appearances against Southampton, including in the Foxes 9-0 win in October. No player has ever scored 3+ goals in three consecutive games against an opponent, with Luis Suárez against Norwich the only player to score three hat-tricks against a side in the competition.

They beat us 2-1, not 1-0 

15 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

How did you reach that conclusion?

Since we trashed them, apart from losing to Manchester City (which is to be expected), they have lost to Everton, Newcastle and West Ham in the league. Frankly, their only result of any real significance is beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge - and that they curiously seem to have a better away form than home.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that it will not necessarily be an “easy” game (and frankly I do not think any of the remaining league games will be easy). Still I would expect a relatively comfortable win for us, and would be sorely disappointed with anything other than one.

>

Didn't they beat Spurs last week?