Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

7 hours ago, twister said:

I would make changes for this lot its worked in previous weeks so why not again.

If they play like they did at Villa Park a few weeks back they are a serious danger, so two tought tackling players in the middle might be in order

Kasper

Ricardo   Evans Soyuncu  Chilwell

Albrighton  Hamza  Youri  Gray

Barnes Kelechi     

Keeping Chilwell in only because Fuchs cant play two games in three or four days against a hard pressing team, concerned how weary Maddison looked at the end there so giving him a rest  , see if Barnes can find some form against a team he played well against earlier in the season.

Vardy and his wife have had  their baby arrive and I might be willing to give him another rest to have him sharper later in the season, a big risk but might pay off with a full weeks training next week.

One or two players look like they have given a huge amount first half of the season so legs will be have to be managed in coming weeks.

> Two tough tackling players

> Tielemans

• Haha 2

Schmeichel

Rick Evans Soy Chil

Hamza

Praet Maddison

Perez

Nacho Vardy

These lot will park the bus again so let's pop 3 attackers on the pitch. Perez is better from the middle, Nacho is in hot form and Maddison can link up with everyone while Hamza and Praet do the dirty work. Rest/kick up da bum for Tielemans.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Schmeichel

Rick Evans Soy Chil

Hamza

Praet Maddison

Perez

Nacho Vardy

These lot will park the bus again so let's pop 3 attackers on the pitch. Perez is better from the middle, Nacho is in hot form and Maddison can link up with everyone while Hamza and Praet do the dirty work. Rest/kick up da bum for Tielemans.

No kick up da bum for Chilly too? 

• Like 1

Would like Brendan to pick as many of his energy players as possible for this one, especially Hamza, Albrighton, Vardy and possibly Barnes. Would also consider James Justin. Feel that we need to start winning the ball back quickly after losing it and lifting the whole tempo of both team and fans.

Could be a tricky one and a lot depends on the Southampton players. This might actually be the game they are most motivated for all season, as the 0-9 home loss has to be so scarring that they might come out fighting like lions for the whole match. Or it could go the other way and be a bit like when Watford play Man City and are mentally defeated before they kick a ball. 

An early goal for us in this one would be very welcome that's for sure!

Edited by StriderHiryu

This will be a lot harder than people think. They've been playing some great stuff lately while our form isn't as good as it was.

Somewhere along line our players have maybe started to believe the hype and maybe started to become over confident or complacent.  At the same time the opposition have become wise to our style of play and are figuring out ways to combat this.

This second half of the season is where Brendan and the players have to prove that we aren't in a false position in the league.  

I also thought some people were getting cocky thinking that we'll beat villa by 3 or 4 goal and that the match was a formality, thing rarely play out like that.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo - Evans - Soyuncu - Justin

Mendy

Perez - Maddison - Hamza - Barnes

Vardy

Bench: Ward, Fuchs, Chilwell, Benkovic, Tielemans, Gray, Iheanacho

Back to the formation that saw us do so well earlier in the season. After yesterday I'd drop Chilwell and Tielemans to the bench. Wasn't completely sold on Fuchs either if I'm honest, so I'd let Justin have another crack at LB (and see how well he links up with Barnes). With the two attacking full-backs I'd want extra protection for the CBs though, so I'd bring in Mendy in place of Ndidi. Hamza can take a more advanced role in place of Youri. Albrighton could easily be on the bench instead of one of the full backs or maybe Gray.

Was thinking this about Justin :thumbup:

Similar, but more Nacho!

Schmeichel

Mendy

Hamza - Maddison - Barnes

Nacho Vardy

We really need some more CBs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

How do we get Iheanacho in the team with Vardy, without playing the dreaded diamond or 3 at the back? Could we risk 4-4-2 and drop Tielemans? 

4-4-2 could work.

Schmeichel

Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Gray, Mendy, Choudhury, Barnes

Vardy, Iheanacho

Maybe Perez over one of Gray/Barnes. Wouldn’t want Tielemans or Maddison in a central 2, so it’s either Praet or Mendy. Both reliable players but haven’t seen Praet in a midfield 2 & the Mendy/Choudhury partnership was ok against West Ham.

edit: forgot about justin again. Could try him at LB instead of Fuchs who might need a rest

Edited by Shane

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Praet

Choudhury

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

Barnes

Little bit harsh on Perez maybe but Iheanacho deserves a start, play him slightly from the right but not too wide, Ricardo can handle it himself and Praet is in there to help out on the right if required. Chopping and changing Tielemans recently for rest purposes probably hasn't helped and he probably needs to play to return to form. Could probably play Perez instead of Barnes but I think that might make us too narrow again. Barnes offers direct running that no one else does, apart from maybe Gray.

Concerned about this, football tends to reverse results like we had there with a win defeat next time we play same opposition. They'll be determined, motivated and are in good form. Can see a 0-0. Key not to fall behind early, makes it so difficult.

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was thinking this about Justin :thumbup:

Similar, but more Nacho!

Schmeichel

Mendy

Hamza - Maddison - Barnes

Nacho Vardy

We really need some more CBs...

Works for me.

I went for Perez as he looked pretty fired up against Villa and was in contention for MotM. Perez for me is the better attacking midfielder whereas Iheanacho is the better finisher - if we could combine the two we'd be laughing. Nacho off the bench seems better than when he starts, so if we started with my formation I'm sure it'd end up as yours by the hour mark.

• Like 1

How do we get Iheanacho in the team with Vardy, without playing the dreaded diamond or 3 at the back? Could we risk 4-4-2 and drop Tielemans? 

I like this idea a lot and would seriously entertain it, it may also encourage Southampton to be more attacking knowing we will be weaker defensively. I don't think we lose a lot by dropping Tielmans from what I seen last night, an we gain a lot by playing Nacho, up to Hamza and Madders to take the extra responsibility (Madders looked like he was struggling at end tho). 

We should know by now Vardy doesn't work well with other strikers, for all of his scoring run he was the lone striker with Perez and Barnes wide. It admittedly worked once with Iheanacho in the diamond formation away at Villa but I don't see that working at home, it'll just mean Maddison and Tielemans occupying wide areas and Iheanacho in his space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark said:

We should know by now Vardy doesn't work well with other strikers, for all of his scoring run he was the lone striker with Perez and Barnes wide. It admittedly worked with Iheanacho in the diamond away at Villa but I don't see that working at home, it'll just mean Maddison and Tielemans occupying wide areas and Iheanacho in his space.

It worked last night in the space of ten minutes? And numerous other times when they have played together 

• Like 2