Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

will be interesting if we could get an early breakthrough 

my take is that their professional integrity was called into question that night and they will be so up for it this afternoon that (unless they have a man sent off) a win by more than a couple of goals is pretty well out of the question. They also won’t have been impressed by fellow professionals sticking the knife in like we did down there. (Moreso given that we aren’t a ‘top club’). it should be a very tough afternoon indeed. 

expecting a draw .........

I think you're right, it will be a tough afternoon and N'Didi is a big loss.

Southampton might be extra motivated for this one but I don't think that they'll go for it.  I think that lower half teams have sussed that the best way to play us at the KP is to park the bus.  Need to score first.

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think we're giving Ralph Hasenhüttl enough credit for the amazing turnaround he's overseen.  How many people would have predicted Southampton could come back from that complete capitulation the way they have?

Most thought he’d be fired the morning after. 

• Like 1

Tough game today, if we nick an early goal we will win, the longer the game goes on I can see a Southampton 1.0 win, if their players can’t get ‘up’ for this game then I don’t know where they will.... Birthday goal for Vardy please...

I wonder if those predicting an easy win will be the first on the post match thread slating the usual scapegoats, Rogers tactics, Chilwell, Barnes and Perez, IF we were to lose or draw. I would have added Youri but sounds like he will be rested today.

This will be a completely different animal of a game today and we will need to put in a professional performance, let's remind ourselves that there are no 'gimmies' in the EPL and continue to support for 90+mins and not get on their backs if we aren't 3 nil up within 30minutes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, holyfox said:

Southampton have regrouped brilliantly since we tore them a new one. This has been based on getting the basics right; high press and hunting as a pack with quick transition. 

I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on more apart from "they are in good form and we don't expect an easy ride" so I'm going to "state the bleeding obvious"

Kudos to southampton for sticking with their manager after we spanked them. Similar to newcastle as well and now both look much better placed to stay up.

It's easy to pull the trigger and draws easy comparisons to our great escape when it would have been easy to go the standard route of twisting with the manager and losing the man who did so well to get to the premier league.

Fair play to them both and hope it works for them.

Norwich look dead and I'm now personally hoping that bournemouth go down and destroy the myth of the great eddie howe who has still spent shitloads albeit with low attendances.

Would also enjoy west ham or even everton going down for comedy value but villa look most likely and wont make me lose any sleep.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Just woke up so haven't read anything else yet (apart for mr @NaijaFox clarifying that my essay got a low grade 😂) but the first thing that came to mind was what someone else posted earlier, if vardy scores 2 and is on for a hat trick, think of the team and swap him for iheanacho regardless around 60.

Yeah I wrote that.

21 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Please free to explain his DIFFERENT role in each of those games.

Trust me, I am a very patient dude who’s always willing to learn! 

If you can’t understand that it’s different playing as an 8 in a diamond to playing as an 8 in a 3-5-2 or an 8 in 4-1-4-1. Then the amount of time I’m prepared to put into this won’t help my argument.

You can see the difference between Maddison’s role as an 8 and Youri’s though right?

Matches between now and the end of the season that should be tougher than Southampton at home:

Burnley Away

Chelsea home

Wolves Away

Man city home

Norwich Away

Villa home

Watford Away

Everton away

Palace home

Arsenal away

Bournemouth away

Sheffield home

Spurs away

Manure home

Matches we've lost this season which should have been easier than Southampton at home:

um!

Must win.

I’ve always disagreed with the notion of changing a winning formation and style to fit in ‘form’ players.

Play the same formation and style which is your first choice and select the best players for each position. Use the in form players as subs, trust them and give them game time when you feel able and rest the others. If going two up front means playing JM and YT wide it’s just not worth it for me unless it’s a tactical first choice decision based on the opposition set up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think we're giving Ralph Hasenhüttl enough credit for the amazing turnaround he's overseen.  How many people would have predicted Southampton could come back from that complete capitulation the way they have?

It was really strange how their fans weren't universally baying for blood after the 9-0, maybe they could see the good work he was doing and saw the result as a freak, he seems a popular bloke down there.

• Like 1

The resurgence of Southampton is mainly down to Hasenhüttl given time to establish his vision and learning from his mistakes, and then there's Danny Ings in the form of his life.

Him, Ward-Prowse and Redmond the players to watch out for right now.

Yes, we beat them 9-0 away, this match today will be different. I expect a much stronger and more coherent Southampton display.

I do hope Vardy starts and finds back to his scoring ways.

Also, dear Maddison - be less greedy, pick out your teammates instead.

2-1 or 3-1 to the Foxes would be nice.

46 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

True dat. How many people saw Southampton in mid-table at this point in the season after our game?

they looked absolutely screwed mainly because you couldn’t see where the goals were going to come from. Ings has been fantastic for them ever since. A bit like villa though they seem very reliant on one player to keep them up. One of the relegation places could well be decided on who gets injured over the next two months.

Think Perez will have so much confidence in this one that another multi-scoring outing from him is a possibility. Madders is the class on the pitch, give him the ball as often as possible and he'll orchestrate an easy win.

19 hours ago, kingfox said:

Not surprised to see many go with different formations and player selections, this is the first time this season where I really have no idea what Rodgers will go with.

Perez and Iheanacho have been in decent form; however I don't want to see Perez as a winger, he has proved he is much better in a 3-5-2. If we go back to our usual 4-2-3-1 then fvck knows who will be on the wings, all our wingers have been in average form. Then you have the central midfield selection to worry about, Tielemans has been in poor form, does he get dropped for Praet or Mendy? Then the left-back situation, Chilwell also deserves dropping but I just don't see it happening.

I'd stick with 3-5-2 but change some personnel...

Schmeichel

Soyuncu - Evans - Fuchs

Ricardo - Praet - Choudhury - Maddison - Justin/Albrighton

Perez - Vardy

.. are you sure you haven't got Justin /Albrighton mixed up with Maddison? 

I really can't understand the fixation with Maddison out wide. He doesn't want to be there and we are adjusting a settled team to accommodate a whim!! 

nb. 

Just noticed the display on my phone wrapped the text. My bad!! 

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. are you sure you haven't got Justin /Albrighton mixed up with Maddison? 

I really can't understand the fixation with Maddison out wide. He doesn't want to be there and we are adjusting a settled team to accommodate a whim!! 

nb. 

Just noticed the display on my phone wrapped the text. My bad!! 

Yes, I fell for that one two. 🤣

Never has a post switched so quickly between reasonable and complete insanity just by the tilt of a phone. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, FIF said:

Matches between now and the end of the season that should be tougher than Southampton at home:

Burnley Away

Chelsea home

Wolves Away

Man city home

Norwich Away

Villa home

Watford Away

Everton away

Palace home

Arsenal away

Bournemouth away

Sheffield home

Spurs away

Manure home

Matches we've lost this season which should have been easier than Southampton at home:

um!

Must win.

I really hope you have passed this certainty for the form of all our future opponents onto Brendan. It will be super useful to know when we can save our 100% effort for.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I think you're right, it will be a tough afternoon and N'Didi is a big loss.

Southampton might be extra motivated for this one but I don't think that they'll go for it.  I think that lower half teams have sussed that the best way to play us at the KP is to park the bus.  Need to score first.

N'Didi will be a big loss but Mendy has been impressive imo and should start if he is match fit.

Southampton's turn of form has been pretty remarkable with not just their results, but some of teams of whom the results have been against. 

Our last few performances have been far from convincing despite, for the most part, grinding out wins. 

We beat Newcastle and West Ham whilst playing poorly merely because they were shockingly bad. 

Unless we play at our best today, we will get turned over. 

Edited by adejo92

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Southampton's turn of form has been pretty remarkable with not just their results, but some of teams of whom the results have been against. 

Our last few performances have been far from convincing despite, for the most part, grinding out wins. 

We beat Newcastle and West Ham whilst playing poorly merely because they were shockingly bad. 

Unless we play at our best today, we will get turned over. 

Bit of an overreaction. At West Ham, we won away with our second team and would’ve won by more if we had finished our chances. At Newcastle, we battered them for the whole game and were 3-0 winners, calm down.

Just now, Matt_Lcfc said:

Bit of an overreaction. At West Ham, we won away with our second team and would’ve won by more if we had finished our chances. At Newcastle, we battered them for the whole game and were 3-0 winners, calm down.

.... Because West Ham were embarrassingly bad and Newcastle were also terrible. 

Either of those performances against a team that didn't play like a Sunday League team would have resulted in a loss. 

Southampton ain't going to roll over and we need to be at our best to get a result. Its no over reaction. 

Just now, adejo92 said:

.... Because West Ham were embarrassingly bad and Newcastle were also terrible. 

Either of those performances against a team that didn't play like a Sunday League team would have resulted in a loss. 

Southampton ain't going to roll over and we need to be at our best to get a result. Its no over reaction. 

Yes it is. You’re right in what you’ve said at the end but I quote “our last few performances have been far from convincing.” 
We won 0-3 regardless of whether they played like a Sunday league team lol

• Like 1