Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wonder if there was some way we could start Perez, Vardy, and Iheanacho at the same time.

Ahem allow me to introduce

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Cags Fuchs

Hamza

Maddison     Praet

Perez

Iheanacho    Vardy

• Like 1

4141 please. Go back to what got us to 2nd in the 1st place. Let's get some swagger back, play to people's strengths.

Kasper

Ricky, Evans, Cags, Chilwell

Hamza

Perez, Praet, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

Wouldn't be against Gray and Tielemans starting either. 

Edited by wardyfox86
TBJ-fox beat me to it.
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Tuna said:

They'll set up to frustrate us like Villa did and I expect them to be successful, like Villa were.

Will be a tricky encounter, if we can be clinical in front of goal we will win.

Weirdly I don't think they'll sit back as much as Villa did. 

There was valid reason for Villa playing like they did given there's a 2nd leg.

Southampton, being only 5 points above relegation, don't have that luxury unless they come here playing for a point. 

Perhaps they'll be defensive but not as ultra defensive as Villa were. Being so defensive essentially nullifies their in-form striker in Danny Ings. 

These are on a good run, but that just means they're due a loss!

Back to 4-3-3 for me: 

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Choudhury

Praet Maddison

Perez Vardy Gray

Ward, Justin, Benkovic, Tielemans, Albrighton, Barnes, Iheanacho

I'd be interested to see how Youri could affect the game off the bench - if he's fresher and there are some tired legs in an opposition midfield, will that suit his ability to seek out and play those defence-splitting balls?

Southampton are back to that 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 that Hasenhuttl played at Leipzig, so they will likely have four pacey attacking players (take your pick from Ings, Adams, Djenepo, Redmond etc.) coming at us. That should give us a little bit more space to manouevre as long as we get the ball, and we should win a 3v2 in midfield.

A few stats with implications for this rematch.

154273024_1-9pdpa.JPG.5bbbb3a391f2925f8e5f291d64784ce0.JPG

This means Saints are out-pressing even ourselves and Liverpool, which (along with a settled back four) accounts for significant defensive improvement.  We’ll need a more direct approach and adept ball handlers, which points toward the likes of Tielemans and Praet for me.

1393876301_1-9goals90.JPG.a0de14b1f03aa5b2d60f0f1adcb3ed45.JPG

Stopping Ings is the key, but easier said than done.  Not sure how we could mark him without both Hamza and Wilf though.  I don’t want Hamza and Mendy both starting against that press.  Oh, by the way …

701818670_1-9assists90.JPG.42157d90a9bb1afdf40d91570516324d.JPG

(Iheanacho is not ranked, as Fbref only qualifies players who’ve played half their team’s minutes.)  But think we should be getting the lad more minutes?  FFS figure it out, Brendan!  If Vardy scores a few less, but Leicester City score more overall, that's fine.

Edited by KingsX
corrected a table

2 hours ago, Slab Edd said:

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Cags Fuchs

Hamza

Maddison     Praet

Perez

Iheanacho    Vardy

Would be better if Kasper was actually in his goal but other than that I rate itlol

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Justin

Choudhury

Albrighton

Praet

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Subs: Ward, Benkovic, Chilwell, Mendy, Tielemans, Perez, Iheanacho 

Quite like that, Barnes can nearly match Vardy for pace so in theory they should work well together while Perez is a better fit with Iheanacho who provides him with more room in the box.I think we should use them as two pairs.Of course Harvey needs to start upping his goal count.

If we can't beat a relegation threatened team at King Power then we've no right to be challenging for a CL place.

People calling for fuchs ahead of Chillerz are just crazy and should return to 2016.

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Hamza

Praet

Maddison

Perez

Barnes

Vardy

Leicester 4 Saints 1  Vardy 3, Evans

Too many comments overthinking this tie, and proffering all manner of bizarre changes and lineups.

Sure, they’ve recently had a fine run of form and will be gunning for a measure of redemption (if not revenge), but if we get back to our settled starting lineup with Hamza in for the injured Ndidi there’s no reason we shouldn’t come away with a reasonably comfortable victory. 

Edited by NaijaFox

3 hours ago, Slab Edd said:

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Cags Fuchs

Hamza

Maddison     Praet

Perez

Iheanacho    Vardy

That's what I was thinking too. Only problem is Norwich had a lot of fun against that formation, so maybe our midfield doesn't have enough steel for it.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

If we can't beat a relegation threatened team at King Power then we've no right to be challenging for a CL place.

Interesting take.

Chelsea have lost at home to West Ham, Bournemouth & Southampton. Should they not be challenging for a competition they're already in?

Tottenham have lost at home to Newcastle, drew with Watford, lost away to the side we beat 9-0...should they have no right to challenge for CL?

Man City lost at Norwich and drew with Newcastle away. Do they have no right to challenge?

By your logic, only Liverpool have the right to challenge for a CL place because they pretty much beat anybody.

• Like 3