Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

0-2 to them. Both goals in the last 5 mins. Mass exodus and boos all around for a team sat 2nd in the league.

entitled cockwombles

Sounds like you’re all geared up for this. The patient pass-pass-pass probe pass-pass-pass can become tiring but at least we can entertain ourselves by a bit of fellow fan baiting.

• Like 1

We need width, a diamond plays into their hands.

Kasper 

Ricardo  Evans  Soyuncu  Chilwell

Choudhury 

Perez     Praet     Maddison  Barnes

Vardy

• Like 3

With one or two injuries I would like to see:

Kasper 

Ricardo   Evans      Soyuncu     Chilwell 

Choudhury 

Albrighton   Perez   Tielemans  Barnes

Vardy 

Subs: Ward, Justin, Benkovic, Praet, Gray, Mendy, Iheanacho 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2020 at 22:41, Devonfox1884 said:

Genuinely tempted to drop Chilwell for a game.

I am genuinely tempted to sack solskjaer(sp?) 

Unfortunately, as I suspect is the case with you, I have no power to make it happen. 

(unless that's you brendan, in which case, feel free) 

• Like 1

Had a feeling when Madders stayed down as long as he did he had a concussion.  Under normal circumstances he would have dragged himself upright and kept the game moving, given how much that stoppage helped Villa.

This will be a real test, no question.  I would imagine Perez slides into the #10 role here.

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thought he looked a bit groggy after that bang to the head at the end? Maybe concussion fears? I know mercury says he limped off but I didn’t notice it??

On 08/01/2020 at 22:45, twister said:

I would make changes for this lot its worked in previous weeks so why not again.

If they play like they did at Villa Park a few weeks back they are a serious danger, so two tought tackling players in the middle might be in order

Kasper

Ricardo   Evans Soyuncu  Chilwell

Albrighton  Hamza  Youri  Gray

Barnes Kelechi     

Keeping Chilwell in only because Fuchs cant play two games in three or four days against a hard pressing team, concerned how weary Maddison looked at the end there so giving him a rest  , see if Barnes can find some form against a team he played well against earlier in the season.

Vardy and his wife have had  their baby arrive and I might be willing to give him another rest to have him sharper later in the season, a big risk but might pay off with a full weeks training next week.

One or two players look like they have given a huge amount first half of the season so legs will be have to be managed in coming weeks.

A well reasoned and thought out post. 

I agree e that mixing it up isn't a bad idea, which means it could be almost any formation atm but sticking with your choice I'd make a few  changes. 

I don't know where I stood with maddison and hopefully your observations were a result of what brendan has just told us about him being Injured. I would have played him otherwise but probably mostly because I thought they were all just shit last night so didn't notice anything specific with him. 

After villa I'd be tempted to try fuchs anyway and risk it, or even Justin (but I've made my thoughts perfectly clear in the Chilwell thread so ill leave it at that here) 

My main difference of opinion is that I think vardy has had a longer break than he has had for a long time and needs to be played Into form now imo, and with our "favourable" run of fixtures we should have enough to see us through and have him back on it in time for the tougher games. 

Kelechi seems the obvious choice up front alongside him with his current form but as above, with our run of fixtures (very likely over optimistic as we haven't been all that since Norwich) I don't see him as the future even in his good form so would like to give Barnes or gray a chance with 2 up top and alongside vardy, and the other on the wing. 

Having said that I would love us to play 2 up top as our main formation and as long as vardy is one of them, think any one of perez, gray, Barnes and Kelechi could do a job and wouldnt be unhappy with any of them. Kelechi does seem the obvious choice in the short term if we went that way but my choice is obviously tainted by my overriding belief that Kelechi is not the future, no matter how much we want him to be. 

23 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Just had the weirdest dream that we were 2nd in the league and in the semi final of the cup. Came on here though and soon realised all of our players are shit and we're in fact in a relegation dogfight 

I honestly think it's a superstition for some that genuinely think of they are optimistic (or dare I say even justifiably confident) then they have jinxed us and it will be all their fault if we lose. 

There's no easy games in the Premier league, except those that were obviously easy games (and in the premier league) 

I'm really enjoying all this squad rotation, makes the team announcement box office.

100% agree Southampton are coming for us in this game, I still feel we've got enough to take them though.

After Brendan's admission of his selection error on wednesday, I'm sure he's been up early working on this game.

I'd also go,

Schmeichel

Perez Choudhury Maddison Barnes

Iheanacho Vardy

totally 4-4-2'em 

Wary of this game, but if we're on it we can do this.

I'd go for...

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Choudhury

Tielemans Maddison

Perez               Vardy             Barnes

Tough to leave Nacho out of the starting line up, but we need to get back to this formation to find some consistency. Nacho to come on at 60' and bag another too 😉

9 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

I am genuinely tempted to sack solskjaer(sp?) 

Unfortunately, as I suspect is the case with you, I have no power to make it happen. 

(unless that's you brendan, in which case, feel free) 

If I was Brendan then we’d more likely be headed for relegation than champions league... hence why I now expect Chilwell to start and score on Saturday ;) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Interesting take.

Chelsea have lost at home to West Ham, Bournemouth & Southampton. Should they not be challenging for a competition they're already in?

Tottenham have lost at home to Newcastle, drew with Watford, lost away to the side we beat 9-0...should they have no right to challenge for CL?

Man City lost at Norwich and drew with Newcastle away. Do they have no right to challenge?

By your logic, only Liverpool have the right to challenge for a CL place because they pretty much beat anybody.

Stan, you're an intelligent guy and you know how to read.

So from your own admission Liverpool and Man city haven't lost to poor teams at home. Those are the teams we are comparing ourselves with this season as we sit in second and look for a CL spot, they have 2 of the 4 spots and we are fighting for the last 2. It surprises me that a team as weak as Spurs have only lost at home to Newcastle, hopefully the loss of Kane can remove them from the equation. 

If we want top 4 we HAVE to beat the mid table and poor teams when we are playing at home - especially when we aren't doing so well against the elite clubs. If we can't beat these teams at home, logic dictates that we can't beat these teams away from and we can't beat better teams at home or away. The inabaility to beat them means we would end up in the lower reaches of the division.

I didn't state that we will beat them, I stated that we should and must if we wish to compete for CL. It would be very easy to drop away from the top 4.

28 minutes ago, FIF said:

Stan, you're an intelligent guy and you know how to read.

So from your own admission Liverpool and Man city haven't lost to poor teams at home. Those are the teams we are comparing ourselves with this season as we sit in second and look for a CL spot, they have 2 of the 4 spots and we are fighting for the last 2. It surprises me that a team as weak as Spurs have only lost at home to Newcastle, hopefully the loss of Kane can remove them from the equation. 

If we want top 4 we HAVE to beat the mid table and poor teams when we are playing at home - especially when we aren't doing so well against the elite clubs. If we can't beat these teams at home, logic dictates that we can't beat these teams away from and we can't beat better teams at home or away. The inabaility to beat them means we would end up in the lower reaches of the division.

I didn't state that we will beat them, I stated that we should and must if we wish to compete for CL. It would be very easy to drop away from the top 4.

Were 14 points ahead of 5th spot. I know we shouldn't get complacent and a win is expected tomorrow but we won't be dropping out of the top 4 if we were not to win... 

You say we are comparing ourselves to Liverpool and Man City but should we be? They have far better squads and are where they should be, regularly fighting for top 4/titles. We can still get top 4 without comparing ourselves to those 2 who have spunked hundreds and hundreds of millions of pounds on their squads 

It's gonna take a collapse of epic proportions for us not to get top 4 given where we find ourselves right now. Not to mention the fact we have no European commitments right now and the other challengers for CL do. We're in a great position and I don't think Rodgers is the kind of manager to let the players 1) lose focus of that but at the same time 2) get complacent about it. 

The logic you state seems misguided. We didn't beat Norwich at home but beat better sides in Spurs and Arsenal at home? Also, and I know I said we should forget about the 9-0, but by your comment, 'If we can't beat these teams at home, logic dictates that we can't beat these teams away from' that logic wouldn't make sense... 

• Like 2