Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Southampton (H) pre-match thread

This month is going to be important to us because we have a very difficult February ahead of us. Would really benefit us if we get the ball rolling (no pun intended) with a win tomorrow. However, Southampton are in good form and have a prolific stiker in form too. I am not expecting a win here, but I hope we have enought o get over the line and grab 3 points. Don't care how.

Guest An Sionnach

I would expect 65% possession tomorrow and that means most of our chances will come from pressure against their centre backs . We will need quick, one touch play to create openings and , please god , accurate goal attempts , make their goalkeeper work hard for his money.

Southampton have regrouped brilliantly since we tore them a new one. This has been based on getting the basics right; high press and hunting as a pack with quick transition. Hamza will I suspect be the engine room for our performance tomorrow, but we need that hunger and urgency throughout, otherwise it will be a long afternoon. I fully expect Rodgers to drum this into them and kick their butts at half-time if things aren't going to plan. Most importantly, a plea to our fans to be that 12th man. That's what got us our Greatest Escape and we showed that through the title winning season. Stay off their backs and back them loud throughout the match and the rewards will come. COYB :scarf:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KingsX said:

A few stats with implications for this rematch.

154273024_1-9pdpa.JPG.5bbbb3a391f2925f8e5f291d64784ce0.JPG

This means Saints are out-pressing even ourselves and Liverpool, which (along with a settled back four) accounts for significant defensive improvement.  We’ll need a more direct approach and adept ball handlers, which points toward the likes of Tielemans and Praet for me.

1393876301_1-9goals90.JPG.a0de14b1f03aa5b2d60f0f1adcb3ed45.JPG

Stopping Ings is the key, but easier said than done.  Not sure how we could mark him without both Hamza and Wilf though.  I don’t want Hamza and Mendy both starting against that press.  Oh, by the way …

701818670_1-9assists90.JPG.42157d90a9bb1afdf40d91570516324d.JPG

(Iheanacho is not ranked, as Fbref only qualifies players who’ve played half their team’s minutes.)  But think we should be getting the lad more minutes?  FFS figure it out, Brendan!  If Vardy scores a few less, but Leicester City score more overall, that's fine.

With regard to this I've just had a scary thought;-

Ings can only get better!

(I'll get me coat...)

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

Player for player we are better , we have home advantage , its Vardy's birthday , so should really be a goal or two victory, just gotta take all golden chances - for once🙏🙏

Kasper

Ricardo        Evans          Soyuncu         Chilwell/Fuchs

Mendy

Choudhury

Perez                Maddison                Barnes

Vardy

Brendan, this is it mate. Take heed  :thumbup:.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Kasper

Mendy

Choudhury

Vardy

Two DMs at home to Southampton? As if any manager of a Leicester side would....oh wait. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Kasper

Mendy

Choudhury

Vardy

Close but no cigar, Praet for Mendy then you have it.

11 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Kasper

Mendy

Choudhury

Vardy

Is Puel back in charge? 

On 09/01/2020 at 11:33, SexyGammonFox said:

We need to start quickly. To often at home we have ambled through the 1st half, allowed defensive teams to settle into a pattern and find their confidence.

That said we have generally been very good in the second half of games. But we do seem to heap pressure on ourselves by starting slowly. 

Id love to see what the split is between goals scored in the first and second half at home is. 

Someone posted one somewhere i think and we were right near the top on both (or it could have been home and away tables - interesting if someone could help or you are inclined to search, but could also be a wild goose chase based on the ramblings of an idiot 😂)

Guest An Sionnach
9 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Hamza has been more attacking recently. He pushes on to support JM and HB. So not really as defensive as it seems.

Tielemans needs a rest (or just plain dropping :huh:).

Subs: Gray, Praet, Albrighton, Justin, Chilly/Fuchs, Ian

Guaranteed 2-0 win with this approach. :scarf:

Hamza can do Wilf or Youri , Mendy only Wilf so yeah both could play.

3 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Someone posted one somewhere i think and we were right near the top on both (or it could have been home and away tables - interesting if someone could help or you are inclined to search, but could also be a wild goose chase based on the ramblings of an idiot 😂)

The week before the Villa away league game, I read that in the first 30 mins our GF/GA was 5/6, and in the 60 mins thereafter, 30/3.

That was few weeks ago though. And I didn't check it out tbf.

Not surprised to see many go with different formations and player selections, this is the first time this season where I really have no idea what Rodgers will go with.

Perez and Iheanacho have been in decent form; however I don't want to see Perez as a winger, he has proved he is much better in a 3-5-2. If we go back to our usual 4-2-3-1 then fvck knows who will be on the wings, all our wingers have been in average form. Then you have the central midfield selection to worry about, Tielemans has been in poor form, does he get dropped for Praet or Mendy? Then the left-back situation, Chilwell also deserves dropping but I just don't see it happening.

I'd stick with 3-5-2 but change some personnel...

Schmeichel

Soyuncu - Evans - Fuchs

Ricardo - Praet - Choudhury - Maddison - Justin/Albrighton

Perez - Vardy

Guest An Sionnach

If there is one thing that Grealish illustrates is that most teams operate best with one principal playmaker and ours is Maddison . He should be on the ball as much as possible. So maybe Youri's problem is he finds it hard to play second fiddle. We need to find a different role for him .