Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Aston Villa - League Cup semi final 2nd leg - 28/01/20

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We're the better team, of that there is no doubt. But I've felt we've not stopped up in our biggest games so far and that's my main worry.

Its a fair concern I reckon. Do you think that is a consequence of the youthful nature of many of our players? :unsure:

32 minutes ago, Onions said:

They’ll have to attack tonight, they can’t sit back and bore they’re own crowd. 

Which mean, easy win, 3-0. 2 up within 15 and a relaxing night ahead. 

That’s what I’m telling my heart anyway so it relaxes 😂

Agreed that the crowd wont be content with them sitting back - especially if they have their new striker on the pitch. Could make for an interesting match, as its pretty clear that when we're on form it'd suit us more if they tried to bring the game to us. If we get the first goal I think we've got a decent chance of running away with it like the league game at their place. If they get the first early on I'd be reasonably confident that we could pull one back. The longer it stays level, though, or if they take the lead late on then I worry they'd probably be able to hold us off.

That being said penalties wouldn't surprise me at all, but I don't even want to begin contemplating what might happen in that scenario. I'll probably end up having to walk out the room as I'm not sure I could watch...

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Could say the same about Maddison to be fair...

Grealish just tends to get the free kick far more often. Most fouled player in the league It's almost like his primary objective when he gets the ball is to draw the foul.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Agreed that the crowd wont be content with them sitting back - especially if they have their new striker on the pitch. Could make for an interesting match, as its pretty clear that when we're on form it'd suit us more if they tried to bring the game to us. If we get the first goal I think we've got a decent chance of running away with it like the league game at their place. If they get the first early on I'd be reasonably confident that we could pull one back. The longer it stays level, though, or if they take the lead late on then I worry they'd probably be able to hold us off.

That being said penalties wouldn't surprise me at all, but I don't even want to begin contemplating what might happen in that scenario. I'll probably end up having to walk out the room as I'm not sure I could watch...

I'm really hoping for a win and a trip to Wembley but if the worst happens and we lost I'll tell myself "at least I don't have to watch us get stuffed 6-0 by Man City in the final"

• Like 4

Guest An Sionnach
Just now, Livid said:

Grealish just tends to get the free kick far more often. Most fouled player in the league It's almost like his primary objective when he gets the ball is to draw the foul.

Jimmy should ask him for acting lessons he would love a few free kicks on the edge of their area.

Just now, Livid said:

Honestly I think Grealish and Maddison are very similar. Grealish just gets fouled more because the shitey team around him look to get him on the ball with literally every pass they make on accounts of their lack of creativity, so it's at his feet for them far more.

Put Madders in that team instead and he'd be the most fouled player in the league instead.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Am I right in thinking we're the only club ever to still be in all 3 cups at this stage?

I take it you're counting semi finals of the FA Cup, League Cup and Football League Trophy and if so then we're not the only club, no.

Leeds, Forest, Southampton have both done all three. Probably more but I'm just thinking off top of my head.

I know Southampton won the Football League Trophy while in League One, they won the FA Cup in 76(?) and played in a couple of League Cup finals most recently under Puel.

Hang on, we didn't even get to the semi finals of the Football League Trophy so I'm assuming you weren't talking about that. Ignore me. Pftt.

Maybe it's just the nerves, I'm talking ****.

Edited by Fox92

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I take it you're counting semi finals of the FA Cup, League Cup and Football League Trophy and if so then we're not the only club, no.

Leeds, Forest, Southampton have both done all three. Probably more but I'm just thinking off top of my head.

I know Southampton won the Football League Trophy while in League One, they won the FA Cup in 76(?) and played in a couple of League Cup finals most recently under Puel.

Hang on, we didn't even get to the semi finals of the Football League Trophy so I'm assuming you weren't talking about that. Ignore me. Pftt.

Maybe it's just the nerves, I'm talking ****.

This he's talking about the Leasing Trophy or whatever that is.

Guest An Sionnach

They tried to play football with us in the league , bad mistake , reverted to choking us in the First leg , got a result , so expect more of the same tonight.

11 minutes ago, twister said:

I think Vardy would be better coming off the bench for this one

He is carrying a injury and it will be a cold night

My sense he will go five at the back again with concerns about villa at set peices.

Not according to Sean

Edited by WigstonWanderer

This tie should really be out of sight already. Going into the first leg of their semifinal against Aston Villa, Leicester were imperious, with only Manchester City and Liverpool having beaten them in the previous three months. For Villa on the other hand, that game was sandwiched between a defeat to Championship side Fulham in the FA Cup and that 6-1 hammering at the hands of City in the league. They didn't have a recognised striker, meaning they had fudge to a forward line together from three wingers and had their third-choice keeper between the sticks.

But Brendan Rodgers fiddled unnecessarily with his formation, playing a 3-5-2 and erring (by his own admission) by picking an out-of-form Youri Tielemans in the heart of midfield in place of the injured Wilfred Ndidi, instead of Hamza Choudhury. They could have won comfortably and made the second leg at Villa Park a formality, but the final scoreline was 1-1 and now Villa are a different proposition.

They have a goalkeeper of experience and calibre in Pepe Reina, plus new signing Mbwana Samatta is set to start up front, allowing Jack Grealish to revert to a more comfortable position. They have been able to settle more with the three-at-the-back system still in comparative infancy in the first leg, and come into this game having taken four crucial points from games against Watford and Brighton.

And furthermore, Leicester have doubts over Jamie Vardy, who missed their FA Cup win over Brentford with a glute strain, and while Kelechi Iheanacho is a fine deputy Rodgers is clearly desperate to have Vardy available.

"Will he be 100%? He might be 80%," said Rodgers this week. "But I'd rather an 80% Jamie Vardy [than none at all]."

In short, a draw in that first leg looked like a missed opportunity at the time, but it does even more so now, with Leicester in a weaker position and Villa stronger. That might be bad news for the Foxes, but it's terrific news for neutrals because this is a tie poised beautifully, the scores equal but with the better side playing away, both side desperate to get to their first major final in years.

Leicester last played such an occasion in 2000, when they won this tournament, and while Villa got to the 2015 FA Cup final, so much has happened to them since that it feels much longer ago. If the other semifinal is a foregone conclusion, this should be a thriller.

Prediction: Aston Villa 1-2 Leicester (2-3 on aggregate after extra-time).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-carabao-cup/story/4041946/carabao-cup-preview-any-chance-of-an-upset-in-manchester-derby