Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest MattP
Just now, murphy said:

Oh no...not a.... 'unity government'?

Imagine Corbyn and Abbott at the helm.  :o

Get well soon Boris! 

Can you imagine Diane Abbott doing the press briefings.

She would be cancelling Casualty to send the Doctors to the front line.

2 hours ago, Manini said:

I 100% reckon that a huge proportion of the population has had the virus and it’s been in circulation in the uk well before it was first reported as being here. 

Only about 10% of the tests that have been performed in the UK have been positive. As only those who have a good reason to be tested are being tested, it is likely that this is an upper limit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Well if that was the case surely the hospitals would have been under the cosh much earlier. 

Not if it takes longer for the virus to take effect in a large number of people. Without testing of people who not in hospital, no-one has any real idea of the scale of infection.

Think we're slowly getting closer to a possible government of national unity. Apparently being openly discussed by some MPs. Think the Tories also want some cover for the huge failings in their tactics and communications so far once the numbers start really growing.

I'm still working, as a grounds maintenance manager for a town council.  It's just me & a couple of other lads.  We're just cracking on.   It's in North Nottinghamshire & it's proper rural.  Our town doesn't even have a gas supply.  I'm just trying to gauge if everywhere is the same.

So we're out & about all day, every day.  After the 'lockdown' on Monday evening - Tuesday & Wednesday we barely saw anyone.  A bit busier yesterday, but today there must be at least 50% of the normal traffic.

It is a town full of simpleton in-breds, but I get the feeling they think the virus won't bother with somewhere in the middle of nowhere, or they're just bored of the lockdown already.

Does it seem a lot busier outside near you?

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

Just saw on Twitter that Sky are still sending engineers into peoples homes to install/fix tv. Shocking- how is this an essential service? Making people go from house to house to install a box then potentially bringing a life threatening disease into their own homes. 

They’re allowed;

From the government website;

Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. Again, it will be important to ensure that Public Health England guidelines, including maintaining a 2 metre distance from any household occupants, are followed to ensure everyone’s safety.

It goes on to say that they aren’t allowed to enter houses where the occupants are self isolating however. I personally think if people can continue to work safely, then they should. 

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Not if it takes longer for the virus to take effect in a large number of people. Without testing of people who not in hospital, no-one has any real idea of the scale of infection.

I’m not buying that the virus was all over the country months ago - it’s simply a scientific and medical  impossibility 

No doubt there were some isolated cases which for any number of reasons were kept that way. Of course, when we finally get vast swathes of the country checked for the antibody, many who have them will muse when they must have contracted the virus - the answer will be March and first half April.  It if they want to believe it was January then it won’t matter ! 

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Tell Twitter there is nobody to take the calls due to the high volume of calls, caused by the corona virus. Please email instead.

And then wait a year, for someone to reply saying it will take another year. Then Twitter goes bust and we are back to square 1 and he gets away with it. Disgusting.

16 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I also think that people that Guardian readers that think twitter is representative of the country are gonna be in for a shock when they realise yet again they've forgotten the world outside their bubble. I am yet to speak to any actual people that has been particularly critical of the government. All anecdotal of course but just got off the phone with someone whose spent the last 3 years that I've known him telling me how all Tories are scum and don't care about people like him who now loves Boris and Rishi. 

Interesting, I’ve noticed the opposite. Lifelong self-employed Conservative voters who feel totally let down by the fact they’re expected to survive until June with no help. Generally there’s little change in opinions though. 

Edited by Finnaldo

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Interesting, I’ve noticed the opposite. Lifelong self-employed Conservative voters who feel totally let down by the fact they’re expected to survive until June with no help. Generally there’s little change in opinions though. 

Yeah that'd be a gripe I could imagine being prevalent but not come across it myself because people I've spoke to accept its all very difficult for the government. 

My personal view is the criticism of the government over the self-employed is ludicrous but its obviously tough if you're affected. But otherwise, in most conversations I've found myself the one being most critical of the government for a lack of planning when they could have and the unclear comms.