Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

59 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Downing Street has claimed it failed to take part in an EU scheme to source life-saving ventilators to treat coronavirus because it accidentally missed the deadline.

No 10 initially said it did not take part because the UK was “no longer a member” and was “making our own efforts”.

But after critics accused Boris Johnson of putting “Brexit over breathing”, a No 10 spokesman clarified that it had missed out because of an error and would consider participating in future. It is understood the UK claims not to have received an email from the EU asking it to participate.

We’re looking at parts sent over from McLaren for ventilators

Edited by yorkie1999

Heard via a friend who works there, Cambridge prison is in serious trouble.

5 confirmed cases, 1 death, over 160 inmates reporting to have symptoms, office staff being deplayed onto wings, minimal rest. 

I’m hoping it isn’t going to be as serious as it sounds. It sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. 

Also, the clapping at 8pm was not only extremely well deserved, I was genuinely took aback by just how many people were out on my street. Genuinely made me well up. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The USA is a total disaster, the figures in New York are astronomical and make Madrid and Lombardy look good.

If you want a job creating, low tax economy Trump is your man. For something like this you don't want him near the role - even worse he's got an election to try and win which will be clouding sensible judgement.

Steady on there Matt, as someone who lives in the states and not agreeable to Trump; the local governors are doing very well with what they’ve got. Remember there are many states that are much bigger than the U.K. on critical mass alone. My wife and I are very concerned for our families given the approach the U.K. has taken so far. Late to the party and by all accounts people not listening to guidance.

Walk the streets of New York at the minute and you’ll get shouted at from an apartment block to stay inside.

Wish this would fvck off for all of us but calling other countries out on how they are handling it when none of us are testing as much as we should be to get the real facts, is not the answer. 

Edited by KFS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Steady on there Matt, as someone who lives in the states and not agreeable to Trump; the local governors are doing very well with what they’ve got. Remember there are many states that are much bigger than the U.K. on critical mass alone. My wife and I are very concerned for our families given the approach the U.K. has taken so far. Late to the party and by all accounts people not listening to guidance.

Walk the streets of New York at the minute and you’ll get shouted at from an apartment block to stay inside.

Wish this would fvck off for all of us but calling other countries out on how they are handling it when none of us are testing as much as we should be to get the real facts, is not the answer. 

I'd call us out. We've absolutely dropped the ball on this one and will be seeing things in April that could make the most bitter and hardened among us weep.

Our national psyche isn't ready.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

I think it's possible to praise the local governors for handling it the best they can and then criticise Trump for being totally unready to give them the resources they need or supply any kind of national co-ordination to fight this thing and for thinking about all of this purely in the lens of how it will affect his re-election chances...which is all reflected in the numbers. If he wants to take praise for every good thing that happens in the US, he's got to be prepared to carry the can for the bad too.

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

@Parafox yes we listened thanks mate, whole neighbourhood made noise, while we dont need it at all it still felt so amazing to hear all my neighbours clapping after such a shitty few weeks.

Nice to see the club support it too

Guest Markyblue

The clapping was great, just a pity my misses has been told not to wear her nhs badge outside due to a couple being snatched. 

Guest MattP
6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think it's possible to praise the local governors for handling it the best they can and then criticise Trump for being totally unready to give them the resources they need or supply any kind of national co-ordination to fight this thing and for thinking about all of this purely in the lens of how it will affect his re-election chances...which is all reflected in the numbers. If he wants to take praise for every good thing that happens in the US, he's got to be prepared to carry the can for the bad too.

From what I've seen of Cuomo he seems as hopeless as Trump on the issue, his press briefing yesterday was bizarre. Rambling on and then openly saying he wasn't sure if a full quarantine was the right decision - you can't show that much public indecisiveness. It was like he is trying to cover all bases in the event of whatever happens.

Total contrast to Guliani who came across as competent and decisive after 9/11.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

From what I've seen of Cuomo he seems as hopeless as Trump on the issue, his press briefing yesterday was bizarre. Rambling on and then openly saying he wasn't sure if a full quarantine was the right decision - you can't show that much public indecisiveness. It was like he is trying to cover all bases in the event of whatever happens.

Total contrast to Guliani who came across as competent and decisive after 9/11.

Yeah, I was speaking in general as opposed to specific governors here. From what I've heard a lot of them are doing well, others less so. But, again, in the end, the buck does stop with the executive leader - that's what he's wanted all along, after all.

NB. Such a shame to see ol' Rudy turn out the way he has, really. :D

59 minutes ago, Sly said:

Have some countries stop counting cases / deaths. Or am I being cynical??

12BC8984-F906-4DA8-AA71-0F603FDF30B9.jpeg

Trump "that's a beautiful table. Really great!  America is NUMBER ONE!  Everyone else - losers! Believe me!"

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, goose2010 said:

Germany's figures don't sound right to me on that. 4 times the amount of the UK cases but around half the deaths? 

How's that even possible? Their health care that good? 

Could be genetics. 

I know we like to pretend that everybody is absolutely equal down to a cellular level at the minute, but Germans have been fairly homogenous in breeding over the last century, in comparison to other countries. The Berlin Wall and Ww2 fall out etc. 

Maybe the Germanic bloodline has some natural resistance. 

Looking at the logarithmic plot of deaths in Italy, it was pretty much exponential (straight line on a logarithmic scale) until about 2 weeks ago, and then starts levelling off. I estimate that if that exponential trend had continued they’d have clocked up about 100,000 deaths by now instead of the less than 10,000 actual mortalities. Hopefully this is a sign that their lockdown measures are working.

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Germany's figures don't sound right to me on that. 4 times the amount of the UK cases but around half the deaths? 

More testing

3 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Perhaps their testing regimen is spot on and as such they're spotting cases that lots of other places might be missing? If so, that's good news because it implies that actual mortality rate of this thing is much lower than expected, depending of circumstances of course.

• Like 1