Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Well if that was the case surely the hospitals would have been under the cosh much earlier. 

Hospitals are always somewhat under the cosh to be fair mate. I just don’t buy that those two people in York were the first two in the UK considering this was probably around in about November in China and the huge numbers of people who travel from the UK to China and back (as well as Italy), with a Christmas period in the middle of it too with people going home to see family members. It just doesn’t add up that it got here when it supposedly did. 

Also, think how many people could have died at home from this illness without ever really realising that’s what it was? My mum and dad were both debilitatingly unwell at the end of Jan. same for my partners grandad. Who knows what that was. 

Edited by Manini

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It seems that the more we learn about this evil thing, the less we seem to really know. Even the so-called experts are now littering their information about it with caveats. Looking back a few weeks, that hand-washing advice may have well-intended, but was it really enough? Like Japan, we are an island nation, but they seem to have it under control, whereas we don't.

Japan has been notorious for not testing at all during this and have been heavily criticised by South Korea especially.

I really wouldn't be sure Japan has it under control.

42 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

My mate’s dad works for a chemical engineering company and they’ve told them all staff are to come in, even non-essential staff. If you’re showing symptoms you’re expected to come in. They’ve been threatened with the sack for calling in sick apparently.

Trying to clarify this is definitely the situation. If so, what’s the government policy? Surely there must be fines or legal action to take on such action.

Get him to email his company, saying that he feels unwell and is considering self isolating...making sure he gets a written response from them of what he should do. 

I reckon there will be a fair few unfair dismissal tribunals once this is all over! 

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

Hospitals are always somewhat under the cosh to be fair mate. I just don’t buy that those two people in York were the first two in the UK considering this was probably around in about November in China and the huge numbers of people who travel from the UK to China and back (as well as Italy), with a Christmas period in the middle of it too with people going home to see family members. It just doesn’t add up that it got here when it supposedly did. 

Also, think how many people could have died at home from this illness without ever really realising that’s what it was? My mum and dad were both debilitatingly unwell at the end of Jan. same for my partners grandad. Who knows what that was. 

To be fair my parents were too. May be you're right. 

If they can role this test out to see if you've had it might be an eye opener. 

Just saw on Twitter that Sky are still sending engineers into peoples homes to install/fix tv. Shocking- how is this an essential service? Making people go from house to house to install a box then potentially bringing a life threatening disease into their own homes. 

30 minutes ago, Manini said:

Good question. Don’t think it’s the 50% that Oxford have mentioned, but I reckon close to a few million. Still nothing in the grand scheme of things though if that is to be the case so should have re-phrased my other post. Even if it’s 6 million people (just picked a number at random) that’s still nothing really, so yeah...long way to go. 

I'd be surprised if its any more than 1% currently, but we'll see! Might be far more by the time they actually get round to doing it.. 

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Having zero access to internet/TV right now would mean zero access to any news, any government advice etc. Could also be extremely limiting if you're unable to leave the house as you wouldn't even be able to get online delivery.

I'm not sure of the exact circumstances so I wouldn't be surprised if they could be carrying this work out in a safer manner than currently, but it is an essential service and one that needs to continue (albeit under strict conditions for the safety of both workers and customers).

I'm pretty sure Sky Internet & TV are different engineers. Broadband I can understand, but the TV engineers being essential is nonsense imo, unnecessary risk to both the homeowner and the engineers. 

5 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

I'm pretty sure Sky Internet & TV are different engineers. Broadband I can understand, but the TV engineers being essential is nonsense imo, unnecessary risk to both the homeowner and the engineers. 

They're an essential part of the communication network.

13 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Just saw on Twitter that Sky are still sending engineers into peoples homes to install/fix tv. Shocking- how is this an essential service? Making people go from house to house to install a box then potentially bringing a life threatening disease into their own homes. 

it’s probably essential for people who are going to be stuck at home for the next few weeks

1 hour ago, brucey said:

What do you reckon is a 'huge' percentage? 

I think people will be disappointed at the percentage when the antibody tests come out, really hope I'm wrong though! 

I hope you are wrong but I don't think you will be. Looking at the infection rates now and the levels of hospitalisation it is near on impossible to imagine thousands of infected people in January who showed no symptoms or very mild ones. If so why are so many now in hospital and dying and not then. We knew the make up of the virus very quickly so I'm sure we would have seen man more people identified with it in hospital.

Need those anti body test very soon now for all health workers as a priority.

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We're all trying to stay alive right now.

Let's worry about the nightmare tax scenario a long way down the line please lol

Rishi will need his bottomless pit topping up at some point!:D

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

My mate’s dad works for a chemical engineering company and they’ve told them all staff are to come in, even non-essential staff. If you’re showing symptoms you’re expected to come in. They’ve been threatened with the sack for calling in sick apparently.

Trying to clarify this is definitely the situation. If so, what’s the government policy? Surely there must be fines or legal action to take on such action.

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

You can't legally be dismissed for catching a virus and calling in sick. As I'd imagine you can't be sacked for self isolating at government orders. You can't stop them being cvnts and trying though, but it would be an easy bitch slap at the employment tribunal. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We're all trying to stay alive right now.

Let's worry about the nightmare tax scenario a long way down the line please lol

I reckon that there will be huge incentives for people and companies to pay into pension funds which will top up the coffers (not coughers).

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Soon, the government will be running out of people do to the daily press briefings. Raab for PM?

They'll be fine.

Boris saw off a far more grotesque virus than this back in December.