Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

14 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

masochism
/ˈmasəkɪz(ə)m/

noun

1. the tendency to derive sexual gratification from one's own pain or humiliation.
    "with things such as bondage and masochism, it's all right if you both go for it"
    • (in general use) the enjoyment of an activity that appears to be painful or tedious.
      "there's plenty to do when the weather turns moorland walks into exercises in masochism"

Well the lockdown is giving us all a bit more time for...err...'self help' so he might actually be on to something lol

• Haha 1

For me the government are just about doing ok. Yes there are some pretty big mistakes along the way but this is an extreme and unprecedented situation.

The biggest and most glaring mistakes was stopping testing except to hospitalised cases. And 10 years of cuts to the NHS leaving us with one of the worst placed health services to cope in Europe. including scrapping the nursing bursary which has resulted in a huge shortfall in nurses for a tiny saving.

This was of course Cameron, Osbourne and May with previous Tory governments. But most of this lot were part of those governments either as MPs or in cabinet so need to shoulder some of the blame.

14 hours ago, don_danbury said:

that's a brilliant video. also found this 

https://engnews24h.com/russian-government-documents-virus-is-not-naturally-formed-天然-apollo-news-network/

long stuff but really interesting 

Precisely the 'join the dots' junk that I was referring to yesterday. Factoid, anecdote, speculation, false equivalence and a loaded title. 

4 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

For me the government are just about doing ok. Yes there are some pretty big mistakes along the way but this is an extreme and unprecedented situation.

The biggest and most glaring mistakes was stopping testing except to hospitalised cases. And 10 years of cuts to the NHS leaving us with one of the worst placed health services to cope in Europe. including scrapping the nursing bursary which has resulted in a huge shortfall in nurses for a tiny saving.

This was of course Cameron, Osbourne and May with previous Tory governments. But most of this lot were part of those governments either as MPs or in cabinet so need to shoulder some of the blame.

Have they not re introduced the bursary,

the latest nhs adverts for nurses mentions 5k a year for training.

24 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Corona virus bingo anyone?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Perhaps the only good thing that will come out of this. While the NHS has long been a political football kicked around by all political parties. Once this is all over, surely there will be a unified political initiative, driven by a massive public will & desire, to build a health service fit for the 21st century.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

China lied people died 

I find the idea that the west didn’t realise that this virus was a serious problem ludicrous. It was quite clear from towards end of January that this was a real potential problem for the whole world. Western leaders spent February in denial when they could have been preparing and trying to ensure that community spread was kept under control.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I find the idea that the west didn’t realise that this virus was a serious problem ludicrous. It was quite clear from towards end of January that this was a real potential problem for the whole world. Western leaders spent February in denial when they could have been preparing and trying to ensure that community spread was kept under control.

Don't let facts of the matter get in the way of a well trodden and easy to posit narrative - where's the fun in that?

47 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The trouble was it was already here by February, @Toddybad says our first death was in feb (I’ve not seen it confirmed yet but it wouldn’t surprise me).

Whilst western leaders haven’t painted themselves in glory, the plans in all countries has been to manage this, not eradicate it, stop it or contain it. That’s on China. China are an absolute disgrace and should be made pariah’s when this is all over.

We might not have acted soon enough but China knowingly let this out of their borders and that’s unforgivable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The trouble was it was already here by February, @Toddybad says our first death was in feb (I’ve not seen it confirmed yet but it wouldn’t surprise me).

Whilst western leaders haven’t painted themselves in glory, the plans in all countries has been to manage this, not eradicate it, stop it or contain it. That’s on China. China are an absolute disgrace and should be made pariah’s when this is all over.

We might not have acted soon enough but China knowingly let this out of their borders and that’s unforgivable.

I'm genuinely curious to know opinions on why not and why would they, in that bolded order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

Have they not re introduced the bursary,

the latest nhs adverts for nurses mentions 5k a year for training.

How recent were these adverts? I know a girl in her 2nd year of studying Nursing at birmingham, who has basically been drafted in to work on the frontline of this. Not only is it unpaid but because of the lack of a bursary she is basically paying for the privilege.

They may have re-introduced it recently, I don't know but even if they did it will be 4 years till we see a significant increase in qualified nurses. And if they have re-introduced it, it basically shows the conservatives acknowledge what a stupid, short sighted idea it was in the first place. 

Just now, The whole world smiles said:

How recent were these adverts? I know a girl in her 2nd year of studying Nursing at birmingham, who has basically been drafted in to work on the frontline of this. Not only is it unpaid but because of the lack of a bursary she is basically paying for the privilege.

They may have re-introduced it recently, I don't know but even if they did it will be 4 years till we see a significant increase in qualified nurses. And if they have re-introduced it, it basically shows the conservatives acknowledge what a stupid, short sighted idea it was in the first place. 

These adverts are running on tv at the moment, but I totally agree, too little too late.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Maybe there was some early complacency because previous outbreaks like SARS and MERS never really touched the west?  Four SARS cases in the UK I believe and was successfully contained.

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well the Wuhan local govt were negligent in the extreme in the early days but the national govt did not allow Chinese nationals to leave the country once they realised what was going on. Are you condemning european govts for allowing people to pass between countries through second half feb when they could see cases already appearing in their counties ???  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

These adverts are running on tv at the moment, but I totally agree, too little too late.

My wife is a nurse and honestly the whole profession knew at the time what a terrible idea it was and how many nurses it was going to cost the NHS. 

But the government ploughed on regardless, trying to save a few penny's more from an already criminally underfunded service. 

It's sadly a decision that will now cost the country billions. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm genuinely curious to know opinions on why not and why would they, in that bolded order.

They deemed it impossible as it was already here and rife.

On the second point I can assume they felt it was the best option for them to keep it hidden at that time.
This began at the latest in November, to call western governments out for slow reactions and to remove China from any blame is a bit strange.

I’m not saying they released a biological weapon or that this was intentional but they knew early on and they’ve been lying ever since.

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well the Wuhan local govt were negligent in the extreme in the early days but the national govt did not allow Chinese nationals to leave the country once they realised what was going on. Are you condemning european govts for allowing people to pass between countries through second half feb when they could see cases already appearing in their counties ???  

I’m saying the Chinese authorities were aware when things were very much business as usual.

Of course we could have all stopped international travel, or quarantined new arrivals but it was here already.