Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Xen said:

The whole panic around toilet roll baffles me. People are still using it at the same rate, the supply chain is still pretty intact so supermarkets are still getting deliveries, and its not even close to selling out in most places anyway.

Went to tesco earlier and the only things sold out were hand sanitiser (and every type of wipe that could possibly substitute for it) and all the pasta. Except linguine, so if you like linguine I guess you're okay? No-one had even touched any of the other staples like rice though, strangely.

Oh, and no Ben and Jerrys either. Guess people are comfort eating whilst in isolation? Different people have different priorities, I guess...

Psychologically when we feel scared / helpless, the natural reaction is to do something, anything.

People want to get enough essentials in case their whole family needs several weeks of isolation. Also to avoid going in stores and coming into close contact with others once this becomes more widespread.

Toilet paper is bulky so a few people buying an extra pack or two each translates visually into rapidly emptying shelves.

The pictures get picked up by the papers / social media / word of mouth, and people who initially had no intention of stocking up now realise that if they don’t buy some, they might not be able to get any when they genuinely run out and need some (This has already happened). That then adds to the demand and compounds the shortage.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

If you’re desperate for Toilet Roll just go to Funland in Bridlington :thumbup:
8-E94-C9-BB-D446-4-D7-F-81-B8-2-AAE892-A

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’d rather catch Corona and have to wipe my arse with my hand than go to Bridlington.

Meanwhile, in Southend...

0A39EC07-C6C6-4D5D-8B7C-37821C092FA0.jpeg

• Haha 1

133 deaths in one day sort of tells you everything you need to know about it’s potential....it’s not like the Italians aren’t doing a lot to prevent the spread either. It’s ok saying seasonal flu kills a couple of thousand a year, at that rate corona would do 50,000 in a year.

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Genuinely don't think we'll be capable of effectively doing it. 

I think we’ve got no chance, essentially why I think they should start implementing some more severe actions before we are at the stage where we are getting 100s of new cases everyday.

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

I think we’ve got no chance, essentially why I think they should start implementing some more severe actions before we are at the stage where we are getting 100s of new cases everyday.

Agree with you, for once we should take a leaf out of China's book. The way they contained and reduced the infection was incredible.  We need to start being stricter with isolation and quarantine of cases, stricter policies etc. 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Agree with you, for once we should take a leaf out of China's book. The way they contained and reduced the infection was incredible.  We need to start being stricter with isolation and quarantine of cases, stricter policies etc. 

What’s the point if the rest of the world doesn’t follow suit? We could be in isolation, with no international travel allowed for indeterminate amount of time.

Just let it happen, and deal with the aftermath.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What’s the point if the rest of the world doesn’t follow suit? We could be in isolation, with no international travel allowed for indeterminate amount of time.

It’s a case of delaying it for a couple of months in the hope the warmer weather allows the NHS to better cope.

You’re spot on with this having to be more of an international effort.

Edited by Wet Trump

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Absolutely we are an island ffs, no good saying coulda shoulda woulda.

This sh#t is getting serious now the rise of deaths in Italy shows this is a seriously dangerous virus, it is not the same as seasonal flu it has the potential to decimate families.

Time to start taking grown up decisions and fcuking quick.

Guest MattP
58 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I have more fear of the mass hysteria and panic caused by people than I do this virus. 

35 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Agree with you, for once we should take a leaf out of China's book. 

:unsure:

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Care to elaborate?

How can you not be worried about it but at the same time want a Chinese style crackdown on movement to prevent it?

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

How can you not be worried about it but at the same time want a Chinese style crackdown on movement to prevent it?

Didn't say i wasn't worried, it's not a good situation at all. But a panic and hysteria filled public can arguably cause just as much damage.

China stopped all of that by cracking down on isolation and quarantine, which also hugely contained the infection. 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

There's quite a difference between a European Liberal democracy and the Chinese authoritarian surveillance state. Its a completely different society, see the actions of people in Italy as Exhibit A. China literally barricaded people into their homes and allowed one person per household to leave every 3 days to get supplies whilst completely shutting down half the country. 

The models to follow are South Korea and Singapore but even then they're culturally better set to deal with such matters

• Like 1