Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Isn`t this just a commercial decision on part of that company supplying said PPE?

It could be that they can get a higher price in the EEC but it could well be that they cannot get hold of anyone at NHS procurement. If you have something that’s it big demand and you offer it out across the whole EU then you don’t wait for all the replies to come back if you get the price you’re after 

all stocks needs to be paid for upfront from China so no one is hanging around sitting on stock waiting for a few quid more. 

Just now, l444ry said:

The article states that their offers of help were ignored by the government. 

Ah ok - sorry didn`t read it fully, my bad. Has it also been "debunked" by the Government?

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s amazing isn’t it 

I guess these PPE suppliers have found customers all over Europe whereas in this country, it’s either big care home groups, medical supply wholesalers or the NHS procurement who are attractive for decent volumes.  Being huge  (as per the NHS ) isn’t always the best thing - especially given the logistics of enormous warehouses and lots of drops to make. 

I suspect some smaller customers are willing to pay up front, whereas the NHS procurment process probably takes at least 45-60 days to onboard a new supplier, get the invoices approved and paid.  If you are worried about your cashflow it would be very tempting to take the money.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's fair enough.

Personally, as I said above I'm hoping that this isn't all that but it was shared and explained by someone whose views and expertise I respect hugely on the matter and who is not normally prone to dire speculation - at least the possibility is being taken seriously for now, I guess.

Of course, and it's better to be overcautious with this. It's certainly something that needs to be explored in more detail and it's possibly quite frightening. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ah ok - sorry didn`t read it fully, my bad. Has it also been "debunked" by the Government?

Don't know if it's been *debunked*. Wouldn't be surprised as they never seem to admit any mistakes.

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

From what I can tell, against the viral load of the strains we had identified up until now.

Honestly, I sincerely hope that what is being read into things by that article isn't accurate, for everyone's sake.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/d9dc2d05-0dd3-4b3b-9f2d-00849257e587

Might be worth reading this article about the loaded phrase of the word "strain" too.

There's a scientist there explaining they've already seen well over 1,000 strains 

What he's saying about how these strains can change how the virus interacts differently might not be said to be true but it's more a case of saying the word "strain" is loaded and you shouldn't feel panic by the numbers of different strains. Viruses are all slightly different genomes which is what classifies a strain so a virus found within a few different people are likely to be classed as a few different strains as standard.

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I suspect some smaller customers are willing to pay up front, whereas the NHS procurment process probably takes at least 45-60 days to onboard a new supplier, get the invoices approved and paid.  If you are worried about your cashflow it would be very tempting to take the money.

Good point 

15 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Perhaps what they are offering isn't what is needed.  Not all PPE is the same.

What?

Ive just sent my wife to the frontline with my sanding mask.

My understanding is that there aren’t and haven’t been any issues with PPE at the LRI.

16 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Perhaps what they are offering isn't what is needed.  Not all PPE is the same.

It is a revelation that will fill NHS frontline workers with despair. Millions of pieces of vital protective equipment are being shipped from British warehouses to Germany, Spain and Italy despite severe shortages in this country. We can disclose that lorries are being packed with masks, respirators and other personal protective equipment (PPE) to supply hospitals in the EU. With the Government facing growing criticism over the crisis, Bill Gardner has spoken to UK firms who say they have "no choice" but to sell the gear abroad because British officials have repeatedly ignored their offers of help. So why is the UK so ill-equipped? Read the inside story on Britain's PPE shortages.

13 minutes ago, l444ry said:

It is a revelation that will fill NHS frontline workers with despair. Millions of pieces of vital protective equipment are being shipped from British warehouses to Germany, Spain and Italy despite severe shortages in this country. We can disclose that lorries are being packed with masks, respirators and other personal protective equipment (PPE) to supply hospitals in the EU. With the Government facing growing criticism over the crisis, Bill Gardner has spoken to UK firms who say they have "no choice" but to sell the gear abroad because British officials have repeatedly ignored their offers of help. So why is the UK so ill-equipped? Read the inside story on Britain's PPE shortages.

Filling NHS frontline workers with despair is a great strategy!  Well done the media, again.

For all we know there is stuff coming in from EU countries only becuase we have agreed to keep normal movements open.  on Sunday everyone got upset about 250k items to China, while they have sent us 12M plus.

Edit:  According to Twitter Veenak were asking £2.30 for something usually costed at £0.10 ea.  

Edited by Jon the Hat

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Filling NHS frontline workers with despair is a great strategy!  Well done the media, again.

For all we know there is stuff coming in from EU countries only becuase we have agreed to keep normal movements open.  on Sunday everyone got upset about 250k items to China, while they have sent us 12M plus.

Edit:  According to Twitter Veenak were asking £2.30 for something usually costed at £0.10 ea.  

Awaits the who cares about money, no life is worth saving £2.20 comments:whistle:

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

That is a scandal if so - oh to live in a dictatorship eh

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Awaits the who cares about money, no life is worth saving £2.20 comments:whistle:

Well if they were the only ones offering fine, but if they had the claimed 6000 offers then it makes sense to prioritse those not taking the piss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We had sh*t loads of austerity, what the f%ck was the point of the savings if not for this!! :mad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BBC Rolling News

Posted at 16:4916:49

Flight containing 19 tonnes of medical equipment to land in the UK shortly

While we wait to hear more about the consignment of PPE that is expected to leave Turkey for the UK, there's news that another consignment of personal protective equipment from Shanghai, China, is expected at Heathrow Airport shortly.

The cargo-only Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787-9 flight contains 19 tonnes of medical equipment and PPE and 28,000 individual items including approximately 6,000 protective gowns and more than 20,000 ventilators.

The airline says it is operating eight cargo-only flights this month, in partnership with the NHS and Department of Health and Social Care. Since 3 April five flights have already arrived, carrying more than 80 tonnes of PPE, including 3.5 million individual items.

Virgin Atlantic says the consignments have included 50 ventilators, 1.8 million face masks, 600,000 face shields and visors, a million disposable gloves, 38,000 items for eye protection, and 75,000 protective coveralls and isolation gowns.

36 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Who really wants to wear a mask from China at the moment

Looks to me more like a machine's gone wrong and a shed load of stuffs ended up on the floor, or a box full has fell of a shelf hence the footstool.

• Haha 1

Caught the back end of hearing some stats on the radio that new cases have remained around the same and thats with increased testing to around 35'000 in the last 24 hours? 

Is that right or did I completely hear something else? 

Edited by EastAnglianFox

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Explain more if you would! 

Matt Hancock just said they have given 20 million to the Oxford lab, and after working with the NHRA (sp?) to get certification, they begin human trials on Thursday...