Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 hours ago, reynard said:

Can't see any reason Thee Times would wade in without proper cause. They are basically a Tory supporting paper. The very fact the Governement had to come out and point out "errors" probably indicates there is a certain amount of truth in the article.

There are obvious areas that have not gone that well. The provision of PPE is obviously one and the breadth of testing is another. Several weeks into the crisis and PPE is still not with care workers for eg.

As to testing we are still nowhere near the required level and frankly it doesn't look like we will ge there.My cousin works in the big testing station in London and is still saying that whatever ministers say there simply isn't the necessary stuff to allow for anywhere near 100k tests per day.

It sort of helps to remember that Murdoch and The Times' horse for ages was Michael Give whereas the Barclay brothers was Boris. The Telegraph suddenly produces a deluge of Boris will be our saviour stuff and the ST goes with what it did. Not that I know if that really affects it but my point is it's overly simplistic to just label it Tory supporting. 

It was also dogshit journalism, proper modern gotcha bollocks that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny even without privileged information. As if Boris not being at a meeting on the 24th January mattered. 

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 1

Perhaps a promising treatment here for the most severe cytokine storm affected patients. As far as I understand it’s (slightly counter intuitively) based on an immunosuppressant to stop the body’s own immune system from destroying organs.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-13/coworkers-save-coronavirus-doctor

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Time to start with the michael caine The Italian Job stuff. "Theres 400,000 kebab shops in England, if you don't send us the face masks, every single one of them gets it." 

Gets it...??  What a free Kebab,und a Falafel for the veggies...

Oh just a small point Not all Kebab shops,are ran by One nationallity...

Worth mentioning that the Department of Health and Social Care appear to used a marketing firm which created over 100 fake NHS staff twitter accounts to ‘promoted’ herd immunity. 

It’s no little surprise that the re-hiring of the election winning campaign team has occurred for the purpose of communications in relation to the crisis. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth mentioning that the Department of Health and Social Care appear to used a marketing firm which created over 100 fake NHS staff twitter accounts to ‘promoted’ herd immunity. 

It’s no little surprise that the re-hiring of the election winning campaign team has occurred for the purpose of communications in relation to the crisis. 

I mean the bloke is proper into it and thinks he's onto something, idk I guess the chances are >0 but that bio doesn't exactly scream plausible government approved operation and more @MattP taking the piss

Edited by Kopfkino

15 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I mean the bloke is proper into it and thinks he's onto something, idk I guess the chances are >0 but that bio doesn't exactly scream plausible government approved operation and more @MattP taking the piss

I ain’t going to convince you otherwise or most others on here judging from your post.

Government and political parties have been using astroturfing like this on social media to influence public opinion for five years or more now. There’s clear patterns when it occurs. It was happening on Saturday evening in reply to the Sunday Times article which celebrates and popular journalists were picking up on. 

The bio is a way of targeting a different audience and the use of such tags means more retweets from bots. Someone looks at it and thinks ‘what a joke’...retweet and it has a new audience. It’s the same way Katie Hopkins will get a completely different audience look at her tweets.

That the Department of Social Care and Health has now gone around replying the same words in defence at the exact same time to anyone whose retweeted it and has a significant number of followers is an indicator of whose taken over communications on this. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I ain’t going to convince you otherwise or most others on here judging from your post.

Government and political parties have been using astroturfing like this on social media to influence public opinion for five years or more now. There’s clear patterns when it occurs. It was happening on Saturday evening in reply to the Sunday Times article which celebrates and popular journalists were picking up on. 

The bio is a way of targeting a different audience and the use of such tags means more retweets from bots. Someone looks at it and thinks ‘what a joke’...retweet and it has a new audience. It’s the same way Katie Hopkins will get a completely different audience look at her tweets.

That the Department of Social Care and Health has now gone around replying the same words in defence at the exact same time to anyone whose retweeted it and has a significant number of followers is an indicator of whose taken over communications on this. 

Probably best to just avoid twitter and Facebook type places and it’s much more difficult to be manipulated. It’s funny how there are never any left wing/remain bots reported 🤔

I still have absolutely no idea how hashtags work and to what their point is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Singapore managed to control it's small first wave. Now it's second wave has properly exploded. A result of overcrowded dorms of foreign workers mostly.

Same with Japan.

So, maybe our government are doing the right thing by being cautious with their lockdown rules. 

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

Singapore managed to control it's small first wave. Now it's second wave has properly exploded. A result of overcrowded dorms of foreign workers mostly.

Same with Japan.

But away from the overcrowded foreign worker dorms there are few cases ...... it seems that govt is quite happy for the foreign workers to undergo their own herd immunity study away from the indigenous population ..... I’m pretty sure that everyone apart from some of our less intelligent cousins across the pond appreciates that if given an unchecked opportunity, this virus will head straight back to R=3 and the resulting demands on health/care sectors will be excessive. 

I saw an interesting interview on CNN last evening where a Doctor was peddling a theory that women cope with disease better than men on the basis of their two X chromosomes. Apparently there is some evidence that the X chromosome contains proteins that help your immune system to fight virus’.  it was something like that anyway. hence, another reason that women live longer than men and why a disproportionate number of men are dying from CV despite there being no evidence that more men are catching the virus. infact it’s possibly the opposite. 

well I was sold but does anyone know if this theory is in any way accepted in mainstream medicine??

33 minutes ago, l444ry said:

assuming that jenrick and his advisers have no experience of importing goods from countries outside the EU and the issues with exporting such items as PPE from places like turkey, we could be generous and give him the benefit of the doubt that if he thought the consignment was available to be handed over on Sunday, then he wouldn’t necessarily appreciate that it couldn’t just be here by Sunday late evening ....

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

assuming that jenrick and his advisers have no experience of importing goods from countries outside the EU and the issues with exporting such items as PPE from places like turkey, we could be generous and give him the benefit of the doubt that if he thought the consignment was available to be handed over on Sunday, then he wouldn’t necessarily appreciate that it couldn’t just be here by Sunday late evening ....

Or maybe, he could have just kept his mouth shut and then there wouldn't have been an issue.

• Like 2

I don't have an opinion whether this is right or wrong, but this is a great interview. 

As somebody posted on here yesterday, the fact that Sweden are taking this approach is teaching us so much more about this disease that it is likely to consequentially save lives regardless.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Genuinely interested in light of some of your contributions to this thread...

Without either a) simply copying and pasting the government’s PR response or b) using a broad brush term about the media or a political belief - can you explain what you have been particularly happy about with the government’s response to coronavirus and why none of the findings in The Times report particularly concern you?

I am particularly happy that the government is following the advice of the best experts available to them. I don't expect them to get everything right obviously, as we are experiencing a never seen before event. But yes, I'm happy that they believe without doubt that they are making the right decisions. 

I'm not concerned by anything written in a paper owned by Murdoch, most of which has been shown to be rubbish since. I definitely wouldn't refer to anything they printed as 'findings'. 

Hope that answers your questions

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

Those satellites coming over again in 15 mins. 10:58

12 hours ago, BeardyFox said:

Kept an eye out but haven't seen them 

11 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

seen about six but all spaced out not like in the youtube video

11 hours ago, Collymore said:

I didn't see them actually but few people have text and said they did. 

11 hours ago, Kopic said:

I saw about 10 of the satellites, was pleasant sat in the garden with no noise around, just watching them go over.

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah same, was expecting to see them very close together.

4DA3AB83-DAC8-416F-AA31-9C0AC155F9A7.jpeg

• Like 1