Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

The two things aren’t related in any way. I don’t really get involved with anything war related and love being at home - I hope the lockdown stays for as long as possible - but I have no idea why the two are being compared. 

One was four generations ago and one is right now. 

There are clear parallels - a dangerous climate, imposed sanction of movement, lowered income, increased unemployment. 

And as a nation we've spent nearly a century lauding this as a core quality of the British identity. This mythical stiff upper lip in the face of adversity that we no longer seem capable of showing. 

Just interesting is all. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

There are clear parallels - a dangerous climate, imposed sanction of movement, lowered income, increased unemployment. 

And as a nation we've spent nearly a century lauding this as a core quality of the British identity. This mythical stiff upper lip in the face of adversity that we no longer seem capable of showing. 

Just interesting is all. 

The War ended mass unemployment and we were still allowed to pop around to each others house and go down the pub.

3 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Out doing deliveroo today, literally every single street had about 50% of households sitting round on the road or outside their driveways, lots of mini gatherings where it blatantly wasn’t just one household either. Don’t think I’ve ever seen as many people mixing on streets as I did today.

didn't you go to the parade in 2016?

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

Yeah i’m on your side Deb but this is a terrible argument. 

Everyone made redundant off the back of the lockdown should think about people without a job at all and they'll realise how lucky they are lol

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

No, we didn’t have a pandemic .........  (yes, there were street parties ) 

The peak was achieved off the back of locking down .... how much higher would it have gone without that ?? Obviously a lot is the answer .... unless you mean we had  a peak because we enforced measures but the next peak with relaxation of lockdown would be a more suppressed one as we would be relaxing from a lockdown situation ??

Yes it would have gotten higher had we done nothing. The peak was almost exactly 2 weeks after we locked down.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have locked down. We did so in order to bring numbers down to a manageable level and it has worked. The plan was never to lockdown for months on end. Nobody is expecting it to just disappear.

Point remains that less people will become infected in any post lockdown scenario because people will still social distance and we won't have large gatherings. 

Add to that the fact that the virus has already claimed many of the most vulnerable in society, and the fact that other vulnerable quarters of society are likely to self isolate regardless of whatever government guidelines there are until there is a vaccine or a drug, and you can surely understand my confidence that any second wave will be considerably less pronounced.

Granted any increase adds to my 73k number. But my point is even if it were 100k, it's still broadly in the neighborhood of the Alzheimer's number. I don't remember a 500+ page thread on here for Alzheimer's. I don't remember people giving even half a fvck about Alzheimer's, in fact.

But it's all over the news so people are scared, aren't they?

Guest Fktf
3 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Ok, I was 100% correct at the start.Fact.My info was given to me by someone you wouldn’t question.

Not posted a thing since and I know why now.Cant be arsed with the questioning. 

Have I accidentally stumbled into the transfer forum?? 

Guest Fktf
1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Yes it would have gotten higher had we done nothing. The peak was almost exactly 2 weeks after we locked down.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have locked down. We did so in order to bring numbers down to a manageable level and it has worked. The plan was never to lockdown for months on end. Nobody is expecting it to just disappear.

Point remains that less people will become infected in any post lockdown scenario because people will still social distance and we won't have large gatherings. 

Add to that the fact that the virus has already claimed many of the most vulnerable in society, and the fact that other vulnerable quarters of society are likely to self isolate regardless of whatever government guidelines there are until there is a vaccine or a drug, and you can surely understand my confidence that any second wave will be considerably less pronounced.

Granted any increase adds to my 73k number. But my point is even if it were 100k, it's still broadly in the neighborhood of the Alzheimer's number. I don't remember a 500+ page thread on here for Alzheimer's. I don't remember people giving even half a fvck about Alzheimer's, in fact.

But it's all over the news so people are scared, aren't they?

Evidence? I'd imagine there are over a million on the seriously high risk list, before we even start start counting elderly, pregnant, and others that have been told to be extra cautious. 

Some US states had exactly this confidence in the 1918 pandemic, and saw massive second peaks. Why is this one different? 

UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

I thought people were already being asked to do this and if it's now compulsory how are they going to enforce it?

Confused :dunno:

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

I thought people were already being asked to do this and if it's now compulsory how are they going to enforce it?

Confused :dunno:

I believe that the request to stay quarantined for 14 days was dropped ahead of the lockdown because the lockdown over rode this advice.  I can’t understand why they dropped it tbh. perhaps it was still being announced on the flights arriving into the country ...... the vast majority of people flying into the U.K. last month or so have all been returning home.  and I can’t see many ‘tourists’ heading this way next couple months either ........

At the moment, everyone is SUPPOSED to be staying at home unless they have essential business outside the house for food, medical or their work. (1 hour exercise apart). And they must observe 2m distancing when outside. 

Anyone arriving in the U.K. has to observe this - so they are effectively quarantined. If they feel ill then they mustn’t leave the house at all for seven days - just like all of us. 

once the lockdown is relaxed to the extent that we are allowed out for as many hours as we like, then the rules need to be amended for those entering the country. hence the change ........

the elephant in the room is how one gets from the airport to your place of quarantine.......  I’d like to know how other countries that have imposed two week restrictions have deal with that?

6 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I mentioned that ages ago @StanSP and sad that nothing has changed since

I know mate. Plenty have said it way before today. I'm sure there'll be some praising it in a 'better late than never/government can do no wrong' stance though!

For a country as advanced and supposedly prepared in every singly way fathomable as us, it's a bit embarrassing we didn't have any kind of airport checks in place and have only just been able to make the decision to implement them now :(

• Like 2

Temperature checks at airports will catch only a few people ......... everyone getting on planes to fly here are checked so only those that develop a fever on their way over would be picked up at U.K. airports. how many people do you think this is?  Once arrived, they have to isolate under our rules for two weeks as they have a temperature .......

the issue as stated in my previous post is how do they get from the airport to where they live.  does anyone know people who have flown in over past few weeks and what instructions they are given during the flight re procedures over here ???

Interesting how the BBC will quite happily ignore people breaking the lockdown in their "feel good" stories, like the old lady having a party at the care home with her family "resisting the temptation to hug each other", I'm pretty sure all five generation don't live there.

Is it just the lock down driving me nuts or anyone else feel the same?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Once arrived, they have to isolate under our rules for two weeks as they have a temperature .......

And how is that being monitored or tracked? 

It kind of skips the point of having to quarantine if having a temperature? Quarantine being not to go out at all for 2 weeks. Hence the need for the airport check to contain them as soon as possible. As is stay inside and don't fvcking go anywhere! Self isolating is slightly different. 

Agree with the point of getting from airport to home - not sure and haven't heard about how they're instructed to do it with minimal contact with anyone. 

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Oh ffs?! Wtf is this?! 

Surely they just breathe in the air of the person in front of them given they move so quickly after lol

I remember going for a walk early on in lockdown and it was quite windy. I saw dog walkers and people that knew each other having a chat but keeping the 2 metre distance. Couldn’t help but think the strong breeze would probably mean the 2 metre distancing would need to be extended. There’s probably more science to it and it doesn’t really make much difference, but a conga in which people are breathing more heavily because they’re bouncing around like idiots and then jumping into someone else’s space is just stupid.

Nothing quite says VE Day celebrations like a conga, either. I wonder if there’s a Cha Cha Slide clip doing the rounds too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And how is that being monitored or tracked? 

It kind of skips the point of having to quarantine if having a temperature? Quarantine being not to go out at all for 2 weeks. Hence the need for the airport check to contain them as soon as possible. As is stay inside and don't fvcking go anywhere! Self isolating is slightly different. 

Agree with the point of getting from airport to home - not sure and haven't heard about how they're instructed to do it with minimal contact with anyone. 

Almost everyone coming into the U.K. past seven weeks  live here ...... they’re coming home.   Just as we are told to isolate if we have symptoms, so are they.  No one is checking you out to make sure you abide by the rules ......given our position in global CV league, people coming in from abroad are statistically less likely to be carrying the virus than those living here ! 

20 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Interesting how the BBC will quite happily ignore people breaking the lockdown in their "feel good" stories, like the old lady having a party at the care home with her family "resisting the temptation to hug each other", I'm pretty sure all five generation don't live there.

Is it just the lock down driving me nuts or anyone else feel the same?

No, the anomalies are pretty nauseating at times ........

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The more we learn, the more we are finding that we're going to be stuck with this for a long, long time (years). 

May I ask why? Is it the mutations and strains ideas that are a concern?

It's very early days yet but evidence from some countries has shown that this virus can be at least contained given the right procedures and a little luck. There's no reason to think that it can't be isolated place by place.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

May I ask why? Is it the mutations and strains ideas that are a concern?

It's very early days yet but evidence from some countries has shown that this virus can be at least contained given the right procedures and a little luck. There's no reason to think that it can't be isolated place by place.

Take South Korea, somewhere which has this 'under control'. 1 guy went clubbing in Seoul on Friday, felt ill on Saturday, got tested and found to be positive. 40 people from within the nightclubs who he came into contact with have already tested positive today. That's just 1 person infecting 40 people. Now all bars and clubs in South Korea have been ordered to shut again. The way it's transmitted before symptoms appear make this absolutely impossible to control in obedient populations, let alone populations who think that envoking the spirit of the blitz and singing Vera Lynn gives you immunity against the virus.

Edited by Lionator

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Random q -how is everyone's productivity in respect of jobs around the house? Have loads of small jobs to do but even in lockdown I cant be arsed doing any of them.

Did a lot with my dad in the first stages of lockdown. Especially outside. Painted driveway gates, railings, garage door. 

Had a big clear out in my room and got rid of a lot of clothes. Got so many football shirts that don't fit me or are just old so gonna donate those to charities whenever that's possible. Also gotta make room for the missus moving in after the wedding so had to start some time! 

Feel like I've not done anything in ages though even though lots has been done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Take South Korea, somewhere which has this 'under control'. 1 guy went clubbing in Seoul on Friday, felt ill on Saturday, got tested and found to be positive. 40 people from within the nightclubs who he came into contact with have already tested positive today. That's just 1 person infecting 40 people. Now all bars and clubs in South Korea have been ordered to shut again. The way it's transmitted before symptoms appear make this absolutely impossible to control is obedient populations, let alone populations who think that envoking the spirit of the blitz and singing Vera Lynn gives you immunity against the virus.

Honesty think it's impossible to stop the virus without a vaccine but it is possible to shield the vulnerable and just accept millions of healthy people will get it.

If they develop immunity then there are less potential carriers in the future.

• Like 4