Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

And then consequently blew up.

That I did not know. When was that?

It's been donkey's years since I was down that end. I've seen Westcotes a couple of years ago. Family and family friends with property round there. Getting over 20 years since I lived around Leicester. 

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

From what I've seen (if it's true), the rules aren't allowing partners from different households to see each other until August.

Where have you seen this? 

9 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

That I did not know. When was that?

It's been donkey's years since I was down that end. I've seen Westcotes a couple of years ago. Family and family friends with property round there. Getting over 20 years since I lived around Leicester. 

Its a vacant piece of land now, it blew up years ago killing one person I believe. 

19 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I mean if I didn't live with my gf now I'd probably still be seeing her. I'll openly admit that. 

Only issue is her dad is high risk, but I'm starting to feel that way now, it's been a long 2 months.

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Where have you seen this? 

I usually hate posts like this but I genuinely can't say incase it gets someone into trouble. It'll all come out tomorrow anyway.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Yes it would have gotten higher had we done nothing. The peak was almost exactly 2 weeks after we locked down.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have locked down. We did so in order to bring numbers down to a manageable level and it has worked. The plan was never to lockdown for months on end. Nobody is expecting it to just disappear.

Point remains that less people will become infected in any post lockdown scenario because people will still social distance and we won't have large gatherings. 

Add to that the fact that the virus has already claimed many of the most vulnerable in society, and the fact that other vulnerable quarters of society are likely to self isolate regardless of whatever government guidelines there are until there is a vaccine or a drug, and you can surely understand my confidence that any second wave will be considerably less pronounced.

Granted any increase adds to my 73k number. But my point is even if it were 100k, it's still broadly in the neighborhood of the Alzheimer's number. I don't remember a 500+ page thread on here for Alzheimer's. I don't remember people giving even half a fvck about Alzheimer's, in fact.

But it's all over the news so people are scared, aren't they?

I can categorically state it hasn’t claimed many of the most vulnerable in society, the government sent shielding letters to those most vulnerable, 1.5 million of them. Add the care home population of 418,000 to that it’s not even the tip of the iceberg. The Alzheimer’s comparison is also terrible but I really can’t be bothered to trawl through the ins and outs of a non contagious disease that is outside of early onset a unavoidable result of old age acutely speaking.

I agree the numbers are coming down enough to consider some relaxing of lockdown if handled properly and you’ve made some great contributions to this thread but no need to make sweeping statements and daft comparisons like that.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Only issue is her dad is high risk, but I'm starting to feel that way now, it's been a long 2 months.

I usually hate posts like this but I genuinely can't say incase it gets someone into trouble. It'll all come out tomorrow anyway.

That's fair enough. Being apart from your partner must be awful, I really feel for you 

Edited by FoxesDeb
Typo
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I can't be the only one that remembers the toilets by the bookies on the corner with Hinckley road got turned into a fvcking kebab shop?

So basically I’ve just met a time traveller?

57 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

From what I've seen (if it's true), the rules aren't allowing partners from different households to see each other until August.

Where have you seen this? Do you have a source or just speculating? 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well that is seeing each other (though how you also avoid physical contact v unlikely )

Ok maybe I should have worded it better, you can see your partner from across the garden or opposite end of the living room, but you can't touch them or go anywhere near them until August.

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Ok maybe I should have worded it better, you can see your partner from across the garden or opposite end of the living room, but you can't touch them or go anywhere near them until August.

That’ll work then .........

I hope this part of the modelling wasnt written and designed  by some twenty something whose never had a girlfriend !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Like flu at some point most people are going to get it and like flu to a certain extent most people will survive,  this is not to say the most vulnerable can't be protected. It's about managing the virus to protect the vulnerable but allow a degree of normality we cant lockdown for ever, there will be a time when more harm is done to the wider community than opening up.  The choices for the government are very difficult and i don't envy those making them.

It’s been forgotten that lockdown is also there to protect the NHS.

As a result of the precautions it’s not been overwhelmed but that’s without the majority of its services running. Due to the NHS success in coping, I kind of feel this is been forgotten. 

• Like 1

stay alert, control the virus, save lives. .....

really???? 

where’s the social distancing message ?  Surely ‘stay apart’ would be better than alert???  And ‘control the virus’ is a bit of a nonsense .... Couldn’t they think of another three words  ....keep  ‘help the NHS’? People can relate to that . ‘save your granny’ , ‘save your loved ones’,  make it understandable to the more mentally challenged out there .....

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s been forgotten that lockdown is also there to protect the NHS.

As a result of the precautions it’s not been overwhelmed but that’s without the majority of its services running. Due to the NHS success in coping, I kind of feel this is been forgotten. 

On a bit of a semi related point, I hope after all this the general public are more sensible about using the NHS in an appropriate manner to give A&E / out of hours services a bit of breathing space.

Our eldery neighbour had a bad fall last week and said A&E was more or less empty, as you would imagine anyway.

You get some using A&E like some sort of doctors surgery and likewise you get out of hours surgeries sometimes being used out of convenience because people dont want to book time off work or its something a pharmacist can assist with.

The NHS need more money from the government but the public have to play their part too. 

• Like 1

I’m finding this quite tough at the moment. I have no issue with self isolating and social distancing. What I am finding is that people I know - good friends are not doing this. And when on zoom chats and the like, it’s me that appears like the pedantic arse...

Ive got another mate who drives a cab - he rents his and the company offered him half price rates whilst business is slow. He turned them down and continues to pay full price. He told them that if they go out of business so does he - fair play, amazing show of integrity.

Then I’ve got other friends that are in retail and are getting 25k grants for each of their outlets, refinancing existing debt with gov loans and are profiting- actually making money from the help that’s out there. And I’m struggling to pat them on the back whilst watching others go to the wall in the knowledge that it will be the rest of us paying back that money whilst they tell everybody how clever and what good businesspeople they are.

And don’t get me started on stay alert but let’s see if the r number can be kept down - let’s hope it works and doesn’t spike and cost lives.

• Sad 2

Guest MattP

Just been to get the papers and first thing I heard in the shop was someone saying "back to normality then" - some people think lockdown is coming to an end.

Looking at footage of the weekend we'll do well not to have another spike.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Not. What you want to read when you have a mouthful of bacon and eggs ...   :)

Was in The Times by the way ...   in case you were wondering ...

D6B218D1-861D-4256-A15B-EE882FC9D04C.jpeg

But Paul the Octopus was accurate was he not?

12 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Same. Plus my missus has asthma so there's no way I'm wanting to put her at risk given she's more susceptible to it. 

It's actually so painful not being able to see each other. Some days I get by, others are much more difficult. 

• Like 2

Also that new slogan is actually bollocks too. So wishy-washy and doesn't really clarify much. 'stay alert'. It's a bit woolly. 

And seeing it this morning is also the first time Sturgeon has heard about it. I know many don't like Scotland or the devolved nations or whatever but surely while the UK is still as it is, the leaders of other countries should probably be kept informed of such changes :dunno:

• Like 4