Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Take South Korea, somewhere which has this 'under control'. 1 guy went clubbing in Seoul on Friday, felt ill on Saturday, got tested and found to be positive. 40 people from within the nightclubs who he came into contact with have already tested positive today. That's just 1 person infecting 40 people. Now all bars and clubs in South Korea have been ordered to shut again. The way it's transmitted before symptoms appear make this absolutely impossible to control in obedient populations, let alone populations who think that envoking the spirit of the blitz and singing Vera Lynn gives you immunity against the virus.

I would submit that up until that point the Korean government had this "under control" as stated and this is an example of both a government jumping the gun (slightly) and people being daft. If they had waited another week or two, it's plausible that this would never have happened at all - take New Zealand as an example of a country that was able to successfully contain for the time being. Incidentally, the order to shut covers bars and clubs in Seoul only, as opposed to the entirety of Korea.

I'd certainly agree that such containment without a vaccine as a backbone of it is bloody difficult even with a population prepared to take the hit (as opposed to, say, a decent chunk of the UK population), but it has been shown that it is possible and as such it is alos possible we may be able to reduce this disease to a manageable level in a shorter time-frame than years. How well that works, however, is a matter for serious economic and social considerations.

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Honesty think it's impossible to stop the virus without a vaccine but it is possible to shield the vulnerable and just accept millions of healthy people will get it.

If they develop immunity then there are less potential carriers in the future.

Realistically, that's all we can do. Locking up everyone or stopping people entering the country only delays the inevitable.

30 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Random q -how is everyone's productivity in respect of jobs around the house? Have loads of small jobs to do but even in lockdown I cant be arsed doing any of them.

We’ve ran out of jobs to do now and boredom is really kicking in. Pleased with what we’ve done so far but finding things to still keep us occupied is proving more difficult now. 

Could do with a meaty ‘project’ to get my teeth into but with a small house and small garden there’s nothing left to do :unsure:

Guest Markyblue
6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Realistically, that's all we can do. Locking up everyone or stopping people entering the country only delays the inevitable.

Like flu at some point most people are going to get it and like flu to a certain extent most people will survive,  this is not to say the most vulnerable can't be protected. It's about managing the virus to protect the vulnerable but allow a degree of normality we cant lockdown for ever, there will be a time when more harm is done to the wider community than opening up.  The choices for the government are very difficult and i don't envy those making them.

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I have to admit - yesterday I reported the street of four houses behind me having a party and blocking the road with their bins. I counted at least a dozen people all milling around.

The thing is - I've been waiting since before March to get into hospital for my hearing disability and it keeps getting cancelled due to lockdown. When people flout the rules like that, it's the knock on effect to people like me who rely on the NHS but now can't access it.

Forgive me for being petty but between that my partner's father having Parkinsons that he is supposed to be able to go into hospital for check ups and treatment but can't due to current circumstances, it really just winds me up how people are just so happy to break rules so clearly and blatantly. 

We won't have any lockdown easing soon and that's at least another month I have to wait. 

It's not petty. You shouldn't have to beat yourself up for that when there's other people being utter bellends.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fktf said:

Evidence? I'd imagine there are over a million on the seriously high risk list, before we even start start counting elderly, pregnant, and others that have been told to be extra cautious. 

Some US states had exactly this confidence in the 1918 pandemic, and saw massive second peaks. Why is this one different? 

Oooo let me see.

Oh yeah, that's it. Different virus.

It's really staring to get bad in Brazil now. Cases are rising there rapidly - there was over 10,000 cases and over 800 deaths yesterday. So about where European countries were at their peaks.

Problem is twofold though- Brazil is one if the biggest countries in the world by population and also one of the most remote outside big cities and there's no way thryre catching all those cases in shanty towns on the outskirts of the big cities and in the tribes deep into the Amazon.

What makes it worse that is the country said yesterday they only have enough excess food for about 30 days and they'll be food shortages and economic collapse within 30 days if they have to keep the lockdown.

It's really sad in a country like that. Could easily end up devestating that country and there end being millions of deaths there both from the virus directly and a potential famine and economic collapse.

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Take South Korea, somewhere which has this 'under control'. 1 guy went clubbing in Seoul on Friday, felt ill on Saturday, got tested and found to be positive. 40 people from within the nightclubs who he came into contact with have already tested positive today. That's just 1 person infecting 40 people. Now all bars and clubs in South Korea have been ordered to shut again. The way it's transmitted before symptoms appear make this absolutely impossible to control in obedient populations, let alone populations who think that envoking the spirit of the blitz and singing Vera Lynn gives you immunity against the virus.

Came 'into contact' with 40 people? My guy.

In all seriousness though this is exactly why the app is pointless and why anybody thinking we will distinguish the virus by staying locked down for longer are misguided. 

It's too contagious and too undetectable. We're only making things worse for ourselves by imposing the hardship of lockdown at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Came 'into contact' with 40 people? My guy.

In all seriousness though this is exactly why the app is pointless and why anybody thinking we will distinguish the virus by staying locked down for longer are misguided. 

It's too contagious and too undetectable. We're only making things worse for ourselves by imposing the hardship of lockdown at this point.

It’s the app that managed to trace all of those positives and get a positive test way before any of them are symptomatic. Those 40+ can now quarantine and fortunately the fire will be put out. But I just can’t see that level of organisation working here. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It’s the app that managed to trace all of those positives and get a positive test way before any of them are symptomatic. Those 40+ can now quarantine and fortunately the fire will be put out. But I just can’t see that level of organisation working here. 

Yeah that's kind of my point. We're useless 😂 

But also what if he was an asymptomatic case?

Edited by Nod.E

41 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Yeah that's kind of my point. We're useless 😂 

But also what if he was an asymptomatic case?

37 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Exactly, it’s impossible isn’t it. 

My assumption is that the modelling is sophisticated enough to factor in asymptomatic spreaders and arseholes having parties ....

Guest Fktf
1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Oooo let me see.

Oh yeah, that's it. Different virus.

So no evidence it behaves any differently in terms of spread, just conjecture based on it being a different virus? Great.. 

Said a few pages back, garden centres and DIY stores ok to be open, certain businesses back to work and you can see another household of up to 4 people although I was told from 18th.

Mid June something else happens and then end of July hotels and campsites to open.

So garden centres can open, where there are tills to go through, isles to share etc.

But golf courses which are literally large expanses of land can't?

Makes sense.

What's so important about garden centres opening?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

So garden centres can open, where there are tills to go through, isles to share etc.

But golf courses which are literally large expanses of land can't?

Makes sense.

What's so important about garden centres opening?

I've read it's to do with mental health, it relaxs people and give them something to focus on. Also gets them outdoors, for vitamin D, exercise etc.

I know it's not possible for everybody but I've enjoyed this bank holiday weekend being able to enjoy the sun in the garden doing stuff with my boy and catching the rays. Getting a walk/run along the coast in too, experiencing what this area is like without tourists. 

A bank holiday in nice weather would usually cost me a fortune. 

• Like 3