Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

47 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I wonder how long it will take for widespread refusal to pay lockdown fines? The precedent is set really.

Whatever I was doing was for the best of my family. Boris came out and said that’s fine on Sunday. How can you prove I wasn’t? Other people clearly don’t need to so why should I? 

There is basically no basis for the fines anyway.  This is a big game of encouragement - it was never expected that everyone would play ball.

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Was it ?   The rate was assumed to be below 1 % and generally agreed to be 0.5% - check back three hundred pages ....

we shut down the country to protect  the NHS .... we could have shielded the vulnerable and let the majority catch this thing  ..... the number dying would have been grim but if we had the hospital capacity to deal with the tens of thousands requiring intensive treatment every day and sufficient PPE to protect the frontline staff then I’m sure we wouldn’t have locked down and followed the Swedish model of responsible social distancing 

Rate was ‘assumed’. It wasn’t factually known. Herd immunity was blasted on this very forum, it was never an option for a lot of people. 

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If the virus isn't as deadly as we first thought, how is it that we've now seen double the number of deaths in the UK in just 2 months that were predicted by Vallance in his 'good outcome' (20k) overall scenario? 

‘Good outcome’ 

Next. 

9CA73B38-7B63-437F-88F2-B37B9A454746.jpeg

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth mentioning sad news coming from a hospital in Weston Super Mare where they’ve had a spike of CV19 patients as a result closed admissions for other issues. 

I sincerely hope this isn’t an outbreak 

Is a tad worrying... Sure just a coincidence that 2 1/2 weeks ago it was VE day and WSM was rammed with out of towners (e.g. Brummies) as it no doubt is again today.  Just people relying on their instincts though I'm sure, so all good. 

We have had relatively low Covid numbers thus far in the South West so there has always been a slight fear that there would at some point, particularly as we head towards the summer, be some sort of spike. Fingers crossed this isn't that though. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth mentioning sad news coming from a hospital in Weston Super Mare where they’ve had a spike of CV19 patients as a result closed admissions for other issues

I sincerely hope this isn’t an outbreak 

Did they say what they mean by this, not sure if I follow why this correlation would result in a spike? Could just be me not undestanding!

But yes, hopefully not an outbreak.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Na not having that, if this second case is a fit up, I don’t any issues of how it’s been handled.

Like someone has said before on here, evidence shouldn’t be hard to find with cctv and anpr cameras. So we wait.

The first case was wrong in my opinion, but if the kid does genuinely have autism, his care needs are far more than that of your average child and I can understand the need of heading to a safe environment. 

It is true regarding autism and familiarity and I’m sorry if anyone on here felt I was being disingenuous about that. However there were no guidelines specifically for autism and all parents of children with autism will have not had that leeway that DC has had. 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Rate was ‘assumed’. It wasn’t factually known. Herd immunity was blasted on this very forum, it was never an option for a lot of people. 

‘Good outcome’ 

Next. 

9CA73B38-7B63-437F-88F2-B37B9A454746.jpeg

Any percentage stat that ends 'of those tested' and used in comparison to other countries must be taken with a bowling ball sized lump of salt.

Entirely dependent on the level of testing in each country.

5 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Any percentage stat that ends 'of those tested' and used in comparison to other countries must be taken with a bowling ball sized lump of salt.

Entirely dependent on the level of testing in each country.

100% mate. That was my point though, we had absolutely no idea how many people had it or the fatality rate. I think herd immunity required about 80% of people to get it? Thankfully the fatality percentage is looking smaller and smaller by the day. 

Bored of it all now anyway, I just want a nice cold pint down the pub!

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

25 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not true, the deputy chief medical officer made it clear that if both parents are ill they can leave home to ensure appropriate childcare.  You might decide this drive wasn’t appropriate, but you can’t argue it was either illegal or against the non legally binding guidelines.

Well Durham Police have been asked to investigate, so I guess we'll find out.

Accept your point on the deputy CMO's advice. Not sure it's an excuse which would have washed with the coppers had most of the public opted to undertake a similar journey mind.

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It is true regarding autism and familiarity and I’m sorry if anyone on here felt I was being disingenuous about that. However there were no guidelines specifically for autism and all parents of children with autism will have not had that leeway that DC has had. 

Of the 260,000 confirmed covid cases, how many of them had 2 homes 100s of miles apart. Were living in the home away from their family but the other one was close. And had a child with autism and didn’t do what Cummings did?

If the autism is true and the second trip is bollocks, that small group of people probably have a right to be upset.

I think this will all make a macabre but rather fascinating study in epidemiology for future researchers, to be honest. There's so much we don't know about how this particular virus has spread, but given the wealth of data we're going to have when it's all done, perhaps what we can analyse from it will help going forward.

Statement and questions later 

the second trip must be bollux as he would know he will be found out if it was true ...

and the walk at barnard castle whilst probably being on the wrong side of what was allowed would not be a sacking offence once isolation was completed. 

so it looks like he’s hanging on in there and trying to draw a line underneath it with a possible display of ‘contrition ’???

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dominic-cummings-to-make-rare-statement-as-resignation-calls-grow-11994374

Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings to make rare statement as resignation calls grow

It’d be wonderful if a few ended up with egg on their faces after this, I already get the feeling the witch hunt momentum is seriously declining.

#benice :devil:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Statement and questions later 

the second trip must be bollux as he would know he will be found out if it was true ...

and the walk at barnard castle whilst probably being on the wrong side of what was allowed would not be a sacking offence once isolation was completed. 

so it looks like he’s hanging on in there and trying to draw a line underneath it with a possible display of ‘contrition ’???

But the spotter a retired teacher no less states that Dominic Cummings is a unique character and he is fairly certain that it possibly could have been him at Barnard Castle 

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think this will all make a macabre but rather fascinating study in epidemiology for future researchers, to be honest. There's so much we don't know about how this particular virus has spread, but given the wealth of data we're going to have when it's all done, perhaps what we can analyse from it will help going forward.

There’s a lot of situations we’re very complacent with in the 21st Century, especially in regards to disease and general pestilence. Considering in the UK so many deadly infectious diseases were eradicated and we haven’t had any real hardships since WW2. No wonder the public and governments were so unprepared for this, but I think we can all agree having suffered this, the upside I guess is it’s extremely unlikely anything like this will catch us or the rest of the world off guard again: it’s a kick up the arse to be vigilant for these events, and thank God this wasn’t particularly more deadly or more consequential to younger and healthier folks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

There’s a lot of situations we’re very complacent with in the 21st Century, especially in regards to disease and general pestilence. Considering in the UK so many deadly infectious diseases were eradicated and we haven’t had any real hardships since WW2. No wonder the public and governments were so unprepared for this, but I think we can all agree having suffered this, the upside I guess is it’s extremely unlikely anything like this will catch us or the rest of the world off guard again: it’s a kick up the arse to be vigilant for these events, and thank God this wasn’t particularly more deadly or more consequential to younger and healthier folks. 

Agreed. On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of damage a disease could potentially cause to the fabric of society, this likely rated somewhere around a 5 or 6 IMO. It is good nothing stronger came along instead.

Though speaking of "something stronger" and being prepared, this deserves a repost:

xwHtR8k5PNX2t5vHufjViaj8L5aCOjZ4S2QHOMCA

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

With the increasing population growth in rural areas, there’s going to be way more opportunity for zoonotic diseases to jump into humans. 

Countries in Asia who dealt with SARS and MERS were way more prepared and it’s looking like Africa are fortunately dealing with this very well due to past procedures which still remain in place for Ebola. 

It’s really been Western Europe and the Americas who have been caught with their trousers down here. 

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52795447

Good to see that the UK isn't alone when it comes to self-defeating behaviour on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Honestly, why would any expert even want to be involved with the US response? Anything you recommend will be undermined. And ultimately, after China you know the absolutely duffers will throw you under the bus. I honestly think I’d rather fvck off and let them dig their own grave at this point. The Republicans and scores of their support are just beyond help. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/832599/201612_Code_of_Conduct_for_Special_Advisers.pdf

Point 14 of the Code of Conduct for Special Advisers. 

''Special advisers must not take public part in political controversy, through any form of statement whether in speeches or letters to the press, or in books, social media, articles or leaflets. They must observe discretion and express comment with moderation, avoiding personal attacks, and would not normally speak in public for their Minister or the Department.''

Halcyon days 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

That fact checker looks totally legit.

The autism line being spun this morning is morally disgusting. It's like everything else has failed so lets use autism as an excuse. It's not. 

You're sucking up any old crap. He messed up, Boris has messed up, you know it deep down so wake up and stop denying it. You can still support their political aims without having to defend every single cock up.

I don't deny for one second the optics were/are bad. 

I also conceded that if there was clear and real evidence that he broke rules/laws then he should go immediately.  However none of that has happened.  He relocated his family from lockdown in London to lockdown in Durham.  That's it.  Perfectly acceptable under guidelines that have already been discussed.

For sure he is EXTREMELY privileged in regards to having access to a property close to his support network.  It's a privilege that 99% of the country doesn't have so I can accept it will rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

But from what I understand of the case so far, I am simply not going to condemn a man for doing what I myself would have done under similar circumstances if given the opportunity.