Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Wolves (A) - Pre-match Thread - 14/02/2020

18 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

If we can get a win here, it will be a massive result- that effectively puts Wolves out of the race to catch us.

Hopefully the winter break has done us good and we come back refreshed, energetic and lively again. If we turn up like we did at Villa, we've got no chance.

What you mean if we have about 4 shots on target in the 1st ten minutes??? Mate we started well at Villa if it wasn't for 3 World class saves and a counter attack we would have had the tie won at half time. 

• Like 2

This will be tough no doubt, but clubs like Newcastle and Southampton and Burnley have got results at their place, no reason why we can't. The difference between our winning run and recently is our lack of ability to keep clean sheets. We are creating chances playing decent stuff but conceding at the other end, a lot from set plays recently too, if we can cut that out and be solid again we have enough quality to win games again. 

18 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

We had 2 10-15 minute spells where we looked good and created a few chances, the rest was absolutely horrendous. Wolves are a far more competent side than Villa too.

To be fair we would’ve been out of sight if their goalie didn’t have the best game of his career in the 1st Half

16 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Surprised at so many fearing Wolves. 

They are a good team but still reliant on counter attacks. You have to be clever and really on with a game plan. 

We fcuked up finishing 7th last year by being in drawing positions and losing games. Wolves away being one of them. That was a result of poor decisions. If we don’t lose, that’s maintaining a gap on Wolves and another game is chalked off. 

They do rely on counter attacks, hence why so many are fearing this game.

Our style at present could very much play into their hands; added to which our miserly defensive play has fallen off a cliff.

58 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

What you mean if we have about 4 shots on target in the 1st ten minutes??? Mate we started well at Villa if it wasn't for 3 World class saves and a counter attack we would have had the tie won at half time. 

I agree we had a couple of good spells, but the rest of it was so bad that I didn't leave the game thinking we'd been hard done by, even with the blatant handball.

26 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I agree we had a couple of good spells, but the rest of it was so bad that I didn't leave the game thinking we'd been hard done by, even with the blatant handball.

We had 20 odd efforts they had 3 on target mate we could easily have had 3 or 4 1st half

15 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Wilf being doubtful is a huge, huge blow. He'd be vital in stopping their counters and winning the battle in the middle of the park. I think Wilf could be the difference between victory and defeat against these. Hope I'm proved wrong!

Have we fuucked him up by rushing him through his meniscus injury?

Not saying this is the case but seen a sky interview recently with Jamie Redknapp saying this ruined his career. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11908062/off-script-the-mental-toll-of-early-retirement-with-jamie-redknapp-and-alan-smith

"We were losing 1-0 at home, Souness was the angriest man on the planet, he's giving a team talk and slaughtering all of us, and now I have to tell the team doctor and Souness that I can't play any more. I had surgery the following day, and I played 10 days later against Southampton. It was complete negligence from everyone's point of view. I should have waited three or four months. I had no cushion on my knee, but I ended up playing after 10 days, and the damage it did was irreparable.

Edited by les-tah
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Realjimbo said:

Looks like we have, a "reaction" is usually code for back too soon, now thinking I'd bite off hands offering a draw!

id take draw they are a good team... that is not being defeatist but our form hasn't been the best.

Edited by les-tah

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Looks like wilf is still out ....

on the plus side, matty James is now considered for first team squad selection ......once he has got himself fit enough ...... but then he’ll probably be injured again ....

oh that's good news that matty is back. title challenge accepted then

4 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

They do rely on counter attacks, hence why so many are fearing this game.

Our style at present could very much play into their hands; added to which our miserly defensive play has fallen off a cliff.

Yeah decent team - but I'd be worried for any ambitions of the forthcoming few months, if it's Wolves causing us sleepless nights. 

• Thanks 1

From the press conference. Big news is Ndidi is out for the match:

How to challenge big boys?
You have to find your own way because you know you don’t have the resources.

We all have a clear way of working and our own identity.

You have to have honest players, who have spirit.

Message to the team?
There are still 39 points to play for, which is a lot.

We don’t want to change. We can’t be thinking about being in the top four.

We just need to concentrate on the next game.

We want to be the best we can be.

We finished ninth in the previous two seasons. We find ourselves in the top four and deservedly so. Can we sustain that?

Matty James?
In the first part of the season, he wasn’t fit enough to play.

We didn’t want to put him under pressure.

Now, we were able to include him in the squad and he’s getting fitter all of the time.

To have him is a possibility, that makes us happy.

He’s sustaining his fitness. We’ll see how that works between now and the end of the season.

Injuries?
Wes is back in the squad. He’s come through that.

Ndidi is going to be doubtful for this game. He came back very quickly. He had a little reaction to his operation. We’ll see how he is.

Mendy is still out.

Only a few bookings?
We go into every game to be a sporting team.

We want to play with aggression, but I don’t monitor the cards.

We’re an honest team that works hard.

Ricardo top for tackles?
He’s an outstanding player.

When he first came into the country, everyone knew how good he was going forward.

He can get in contention with people, he stays on his feet, his positioning in the main is very good.

He can travel with the ball, go inside, outside.

He’s very low maintenance. He trains hard and gets on with the game.

He’s a brilliant signing by the club.

How did Rodgers spend the winter break?
I went skiing for the first time.

I fell over a few times, but it was good fun.

It’s nice to have a break.

It’s very difficult to do as a player, and having experienced it, I certainly wouldn’t let any of them do it.

Barnes for England?
Any young player that’s playing in the Premier League, Gareth will be interested in.

I thought he was outstanding in our last game up against Reece James.

It’s a continuation of how he’s been. He’s got power and pace, but his tactical idea is better, he looks like he’s going to score in every game.

He works very hard. He’s a very calm boy.

If he keeps up with his form, then I’m sure he’ll be very close to the squad.

Champions League?
We go into every game and give it our best.

We know what we want to achieve.

The players have been brilliant.

In the last numbers of games, we’ve made some mistakes.

There’s lots of learning that they will continue to make.

It’s a very competitive league.

Results before the break?
There’s improvements to be made, no doubt.

The number of games and the number of changes we had to make, we will now regain a bit of stability.

Traore?
He’s a very dangerous player.

I’ve seen the improvements he’s made. Once he’s away, he’s very difficult to stop.

He’s improved his end product and you know he’s going to create something.

But they’ve got other good players, Jota, Jimenez, and then two players who can pass the ball in midfield.

Lallana?
He’s a fantastic player.

He’s done brilliantly there and I’m sure he will be weighing up his options.

But I don’t need to speak about that now. We’ve only just had the January transfer window, I don’t need to speak about the summer.

But he’s a top-class player.

Maddison contract?
It’s still the same.

The club and his representatives are still in negotiations.

Would you like to see Poch back?
He’s an outstanding manager.

He’ll benefit from a break and he’ll be enjoying a breather.

He’ll do a great job wherever he goes.

Want Bennett permanently?
We said we’d bring him in.

Within the contract, there’s stipulations based around appearances.

We’ll see how we go over the next three months.

He’s a top-class guy who will help us.

Bennett?
I was delighted to get Ryan in. I tried to get him at Swansea.

He’s had a really good career.

Jonny and Cags have been outstanding. We wanted to get Filip some loan time.

Ryan fits the bill, he’s a warrior, he knows the game, he’s got experience.

He can play in a couple of different systems as well.

Why give them a holiday?
It was my decision that the players had seen enough of each other, so we gave them a total break.

The families need a break too.

We’ve very much in each other’s pockets the rest of year.

Winter break?
We knew in advance where they were going.

Lots of them went away with families, some went away with friends.

It was definitely something that will benefit them. It breaks the cycle and allows them to be refreshed.

They enjoyed their time away and they’ve trained really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I know we should not be counting chickens and all that but are we going to have this miserable, "its all going to go wrong" attitude before every game? FFS WE ARE A GOOD TEAM. we should be looking up not down. My god, if the management and players thought like some of you lot then we may as well start looking at train times to Doncaster and Yeovil now.

• Like 2