Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Norwich Post Match Thread

Last night was a massive disappointment. Poor finishing from Nacho and Perez in the first half despite some good approach play  and getting themselves in good positions. Barnes final ball usually too short and to a yellow shirt. Chilwell not accurate or quick enough with crosses plus being so left footed it’s obvious which way he is going to go.

i missed Nachos goal as I was finishing my pint (takes even longer to get served than the KP). 
Didn’t threaten at all after they scored. I can’t believe we are still third after three wins out if eleven. Hamza looked too scared to put a tackle in and when Youri came on he just passed it square ir behind him.

1 hour ago, frany104 said:

He picked out the crowd about 5 times when he came on. One good cross very 8 weeks doesn’t make you a good crosser of the ball. Gray runs at players and commits them. Something that apart from Barnes we don’t have in the team. Your comment about gray not defending is odd too, we were losing 1-0, we need a goal. His job wouldn’t be to defend. 

Yes he would, we were being caught on the counter. If you go all out, you concede again. Albrighton is a good crosser of the ball, full stop. Move on. 

I've already, along with several other people, explained why Gray wouldn't have been able to run into the gaps, there were none. They had 11 men behind the ball. 

It’s bemusing that one area in which I thought we would be strongest, midfield, is starting to look devoid of useful movement and vision. If we want intricate passing,  we have to play Perez all the time. Unfortunately, Barnes was the anti-thesis of subtle yesterday.

2 hours ago, Le Renard said:

Ok so lets get Neil Warnock in and go route one then!!  It is not FM or Fifa.  The players are trying to get it forward but there is a lack of execution and poor choice with the final ball.  Lumping the ball forward is not the answer. 

Where did I say anything about lumping it forward or route one?

It is possible to pass forward, dribble forward, make runs and movement forward though.

It is possible to go forward with out lumping it forward or go route one, you do realise that don’t you?

This is the problem with this passive shite, I think people have been brainwashed or maybe hypnotised by Pep and his ‘this is the way to play football’ bullshit.

It not rugby, you can pass forward without have to pass sideways and backwards.

There is a time and place for that style but not exclusively for 90 minutes, every single ****ing game, especially when it quite clearly not working.

It’s just all so ****ing predictable.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

Rodgers seriously needs to lay in to the players and tell some home truths but  I don’t know even know if he is capable of giving them a bollocking. Maddison, Chilwell, Perez, Tielemans all need a rocket up the arse and need to pull their fingers out. There is absolutely no excuse to lose to the team bottom of the table who have conceded over 50 goals and who hadn’t scored a goal from open play for like 700 minutes. Really starting to worry now about top 4 because I can’t see where the first win is coming from. Oddly enough though, I honestly think when we do win a game, we will go on a little run.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

Where did I say anything about lumping it forward or route one?

It is possible to pass forward, dribble forward, make runs and movement forward though.

It is possible to go forward with out lumping it forward or go route one, you do realise that don’t you?

This is the problem with this passive shite, I think people have been brainwashed or maybe hypnotised by Pep and his ‘this is the way to play football’ bullshit.

It not rugby, you can pass forward without have to pass sideways and backwards.

There is a time and place for that style but not exclusively for 90 minutes, every single ****ing game, especially when it quite clearly not working.

It’s just all so ****ing predictable.

First of all we did play this type of football, but confidence has gone!  Players have stopped passing on instinct and are making the wrong choices in the final third!  The low block and forcing the likes of Perez out wide just highlights why we need a fast right sided winger/attacker. 

I don't think people have been hypnotised by Pep, it is just that he has 2 world class teams at his disposal for every match!  I would argue Klopp style will be more influential in this country!

• Like 1

Looking back to the Crystal Palace away game where we passed the ball so quickly through the middle and caused chaos every time we attacked. 

Wasn’t a vintage performance by any means but our speed of movement made us a defensive nightmare and pretty good to watch.

Many non Leicester fans, that I know, would comment that they'd rather watch Leicester on tele  than any other team. 

Our slow and, in many cases, boring football is now the total opposite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bevan said:

Rodgers seriously needs to lay in to the players and tell some home truths but  I don’t know even know if he is capable of giving them a bollocking. Maddison, Chilwell, Perez, Tielemans all need a rocket up the arse and need to pull their fingers out. There is absolutely no excuse to lose to the team bottom of the table who have conceded over 50 goals and who hadn’t scored a goal from open play for like 700 minutes. Really starting to worry now about top 4 because I can’t see where the first win is coming from. Oddly enough though, I honestly think when we do win a game, we will go on a little run.

Bang on.

I saw a post earlier, think it was @Corky who was saying the players have no excuses now, Puel was almost universally hated and the players could hide behind that, they were given a free pass because by and large everyone (Me included) simply blamed Puel for everything, everyone seems to say Rodgers is this fantastic man-manager, well it's time to prove this an earn his corn, equally its time for the players to stop hiding.

Just realised I said last night I was going to mention Puel again as this is Rodgers problem, Rodgers tactics, but it's oh so familiar.

13 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

First of all we did play this type of football, but confidence has gone!  Players have stopped passing on instinct and are making the wrong choices in the final third!  The low block and forcing the likes of Perez out wide just highlights why we need a fast right sided winger/attacker. 

I don't think people have been hypnotised by Pep, it is just that he has 2 world class teams at his disposal for every match!  I would argue Klopp style will be more influential in this country!

Hmmm, i'm not sure we did, I think we've played well at times this season but alot of it has been pissing about at the back, slow and laboured, early season form and winning masked alot of it though, I seem to remember saying earlier in the season we weren't playing fantastically but doing enough and saying that 'winning without playing great is a sign of a good team'.

Following our league winning season our fast, counter attacking football was 'found out', fair enough, we needed to adapt, but this passive, slow build up, laboured approach has never worked, ever, so when do we **** this off?

What is our main strength? Pace, correct? So why wouldn't you use this? Why would you adopt such a slow, laboured, ineffective (Negative imo) style? I just don't get it, I never got it under previous mangement and I don't get it now.

As for the last part of your post, Good, because as much as I dislike Liverpool and think Klopp is abit of an idiot, it's damn sight more exciting that keeping ball for keeping balls sake.

The sooner Pep ****s off out of this league with his boring style the better. I do think alot of people have been hypnotised by him, mainly his fanbois but that's a different discussion.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Looking back to the Crystal Palace away game where we passed the ball so quickly through the middle and caused chaos every time we attacked. 

Wasn’t a vintage performance by any means but our speed of movement made us a defensive nightmare and pretty good to watch.

Many non Leicester fans, that I know, would comment that they'd rather watch Leicester on tele  than any other team. 

Our slow and, in many cases, boring football is now the total opposite. 

I agree except for the fact stalling is normal. 

I can't stress it enough. Maintaining the same performance level throughout a season is as good as impossible. 

Teams have to develop. They Learn how to work through a sticky patch. Develop a mental toughness when total.shite like Norwich score an undeserved goal. 

Liverpool's current team wasn't born (borne?) overnight. It took three seasons or so of setbacks to create their monster. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I agree except for the fact stalling is normal. 

I can't stress it enough. Maintaining the same performance level throughout a season is as good as impossible. 

Teams have to develop. They Learn how to work through a sticky patch. Develop a mental toughness when total.shite like Norwich score an undeserved goal. 

Liverpool's current team wasn't born (borne?) overnight. It took three seasons or so of setbacks to create their monster. 

Which we havn't and havn't for a while.

We persist on this passive game that just makes us tread water without going anywhere, usually resulting a mistake and I don't see it changing whilst playing in this slow build up style.

There is a time and place for this style, but we also need to mix it up with other styles, it's just all so predictable, boring and needs changing up.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Which we havn't and havn't for a while.

We persist on this passive game that just makes us tread water without going anywhere, usually resulting a mistake and I don't see it changing whilst playing in this slow build up style.

We'll, time will tell. You might be right that we'll never reverse this tailspin and crash out if the PL next season. 

Or, it.  Could my theory, and we'll work through this in the next 2/4 games and come.out of it a more streetwise outfit

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

We'll, time will tell. You might be right that we'll never reverse this tailspin and crash out if the PL next season. 

Or, it.  Could my theory, and we'll work through this in the next 2/4 games and come.out of it a more streetwise outfit

Don't think i've quite said that but I have said we've become a very boring, very predictable team in the last 2.5 years (?) by adopting such a style that is quite the opposite of what suits the players we have at our disposal just to suit the 'in' style of play.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

I feel a bit better today. 

I think this week could see the first time this season where the players will start having words with each other and get their heads sorted as something seems to have been brewing for a while with a few of them. 

6 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I feel a bit better today. 

I think this week could see the first time this season where the players will start having words with each other and get their heads sorted as something seems to have been brewing for a while with a few of them. 

I do hope so, I hope last night works in the way our 9-0 did for Southampton.

No disrespect to Norwich but last night was an embarrassment and both players and management need to take a look at themselves.

It's the only positive I can try and take out of last night is that hopefully it'll act as a kick up the backside.

However this has all been going on since December and I can count on one hand how many times we've play well in that period, how they havn't took a look at themselves, woke up and realised, failed to take any responsibility to try and change things (Instead they've just plodded on doing the same things, the same style, the same old pissing about at the back, sideways and backwards) and lacking self respect with poor performances concerns me and I have question marks over whether last night will change anything at all.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

What I find more positive is that Brendan is clearly unhappy with the level of performance and isn't using VAR as a scapegoat to mask a more foreboding issue. Hopefully the game against Birmingham can restore some confidence in our players - clearly they're lacking in self-belief. The difference Ndidi made when he came on was huge and hopefully we can have him fully fit for the run in - we desperately need him and it's clear that Hamza is nowhere near that standard. I personally think we need the experience of Fuchs in the key defensive areas for the run-in; he's far more physical and I really do believe that the ball doesn't get across our box if he's there instead of Chilwell - playing both might be the only way forward as so many teams are exposing the left-flank. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It's like we think we deserve to beat teams so it'll just happen rather than going out on the pitch and proving we're better. 

Haven't even noticed maddison for a while now, I dont think his heads here anymore. I really hope I'm wrong but hes just getting stuck in anymore or commanding the ball and driving forward. 

We obviously need wilf back and the summer needs to bring in proper wingers that know when to release the ball and when to shoot. We have one winger that doesnt want to be out there and one that is only really interested in shooting. Demari gray mk.2. 

.. I think calling them wingers are where we have gone wrong!! 

Perez and Barnes are playing out of position and we have to judge them as such.

Barnes, prior to coming back to us he was excelling in a central role in a 10 position . To then choose to stick him  on the left hand side has given him exposure to the Premier league but is not developing him, in what will be his favoured position, in his formative years. Funnily enough had he stayed at the Baggies he would be an excellent option for a aspiring Prem team to bring in playing that role. I will say right now we are holding him back. 

As for Perez, he doesn't want to play in the wide role, he is ineffective within this role and needs to be central but they are too many options for the position and I can forsee major changes next season in respect of our roster. 

Hard to know what is the best team/formation to get us out of this slump we are in. We could try resting chillwell for Fuchs Perez for Justin and put Ricardo further forward. Hopefully wilf is fit for the rest of the season as with out him we have struggled. Unlucky again last night with var as I think if we are 1-0 we would have got another couple need a few results to go our way again this weekend but we can not keep relying on that any more 

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

We havn't had one in this period of poor form and performances since December so why would this be the catalyst for an upturn, we can hope though.

I agree but in previous games we seem to have had our excuses ready made, injuries, tiredness, VAR etc. Last night you could see they were starting to get fvcked off with each other and long term last night could end up being a blessing in disguise if it ends up being the straw that broke the camels back and finally some truths were told behind closed doors.

Edited by EastAnglianFox

4 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I agree but in previous games we seem to have had our excuses ready made, injuries, tiredness, VAR etc. Last night you could see they were staring to get fvcked off with each other and long term last night could end up being a blessing in disguise if it ends up being the straw that broke the camels back and finally some truths were told behind closed doors.

I agree the tension was obvious between them. Johnny actually came off his line to pretty much shove chilly into the right position. Evan's, soy and schmeichel looked really fed up with most of them. I bet it was an "interesting" atmosphere on the journey home! Hopefully tensions will be aired and they can move on. I've not seen that obvious tension before on the pitch.  Hope the dressing room isnt becoming divided.