Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Norwich Post Match Thread

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm guessing @foxinsocks missed the 2 saves, 1 of them an excellent one, he made before the goal was scored.

Schmeichel has had many goals he could've done better with but on this occasion no chance. He'll have had to have been well over to that side of the goal which isn't natural for a keeper who will usually remain central in that position. The ball swerved back in too, it was a great finish.

I'm no master tactician, but to me, B. R lost us that match. 

The Ndidi substitution did it for me. If we would have bought Tielemans on at that point we would have pressed them and I'm confident we would have scored. 

Instead, we bring on a defensive player, in Ndidi, and that bought pressure on us and limited us in attack. 

We bought pressure on ourselves, conceded and had nothing to offer. 

It seemed as though the Ndidi substitution was B. R trying to hold onto a draw. 

The Albrighton sub was a strange one for me too, hes arguably one of the best crossers in the league but we have no one will take advantage of it. 

I think (for my sins) Gray could have put pressure on their tiring defence. 

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Yes he would, we were being caught on the counter. If you go all out, you concede again. Albrighton is a good crosser of the ball, full stop. Move on. 

I've already, along with several other people, explained why Gray wouldn't have been able to run into the gaps, there were none. They had 11 men behind the ball. 

Regardless if it’s 1-0 or 2-0 you’ve still lost. Albrighton doesn’t get at people. There’s more chance of Gray making something happen than Albrighton. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Regardless if it’s 1-0 or 2-0 you’ve still lost. Albrighton doesn’t get at people. There’s more chance of Gray making something happen than Albrighton. 

We'll never know if Gray would have made any difference but the choices from the bench highlight the problem Rodgers has. We could have started with Gray and Albrighton and he'd probably have had to bring on Perez and Barnes. The game and result would very likely have been the same. Our wide players just don't consistently carry enough threat. Surely a run of games with three at the back has to be worth a shout? 

Guest An Sionnach

Liverpool yesterday got out- muscled by Watford which is unusual for them . Our midfield has plenty of skill but little physicality. This was known at the beginning of the season and for the first three months skill trumped muscle but it seems to be catching up with us now.

6 minutes ago, l444ry said:

We'll never know if Gray would have made any difference but the choices from the bench highlight the problem Rodgers has. We could have started with Gray and Albrighton and he'd probably have had to bring on Perez and Barnes. The game and result would very likely have been the same. Our wide players just don't consistently carry enough threat. Surely a run of games with three at the back has to be worth a shout? 

And that's why we should have gone out and got a winger or an attack minded player in January either on loan or permanent. 

2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

The Ndidi substitution did it for me. If we would have bought Tielemans on at that point we would have pressed them and I'm confident we would have scored. 

Instead, we bring on a defensive player, in Ndidi, and that bought pressure on us and limited us in attack. 

The Albrighton sub was a strange one for me too, hes arguably one of the best crossers in the league but we have no one will take advantage of it. 

He brought on a cdm for a cdm ???  

how is that defensive ???  We weren’t losing at that point. 

Just seems to be the players have taken the foot off the gas and complacency has set in, for Rodgers and the players. 

During the long winning run when we got the ball we looked to drive forward with it immediately, and several players made sprints forward and we created chances and scored lots of goals. 

Now it's all sideways and backwards ponderous passes and general slow play allowing opponents to get back into shape, rather than those frighteningly quick attacks. 

It doesn't make sense that we win all those games playing that vibrant attacking football and now seem to have stopped playing that way, I don't think it's a coincidence the form has gone completely since Rodgers got his massive payrise and new contract either. 

Chilwell can go in the summer he is truly a dreadful defender but he's playing so badly now Chelsea might not even come in for him. 

Edited by maddog
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, maddog said:

Just seems to be the players have taken the foot off the gas and complacency has set in, for Rodgers and the players. 

During the long winning run when we got the ball we looked to drive forward with it immediately, and several players made sprints forward and we created chances and scored lots of goals. 

Now it's all sideways and backwards ponderous passes and general slow play allowing opponents to get back into shape, rather than ethose frighteningly quick attacks. 

It doesn't make sense that we win all those games playing that vibrant attacking football and now seem to have stopped playing that way, I don't think it's a coincidence the form has gone completely since Rodgers got his massive payrise and new contract either. 

Chilwell can go in the summer he is truly a dreadful defender but he's playing so badly now Chelsea might not even come in for him. 

There were plenty of spells of sideways and backwards in our winning run .....it’s a bit like reminiscing that all summers were long, sunny and hot when you were a kid ........perhaps some of you should have a look at some of those games - not the highlights ..... all of it. You might be a little surprised ....

we are missing the bravery and confidence at the moment .....just need a couple of results to bring that back 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Liverpool yesterday got out- muscled by Watford which is unusual for them . Our midfield has plenty of skill but little physicality. This was known at the beginning of the season and for the first three months skill trumped muscle but it seems to be catching up with us now.

The Physical problem has been evident for a couple of seasons. At the start of the season everyone is fresh so the Skill usually wins out. But as the season goes on the lack of physicality shows it head.

Firstly the players are not strong enough, So the knocks hurt a little more which slows you down. After a while you're just going through the motions of looking like a footballer.

We need to bring in a strong physical player to play alongside NDiddi. A physical Center Forward who is also quick and can play football. And one or two Wingers who can deliver an end product.

Then and only then will we compete regularly in the top 6.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He brought on a cdm for a cdm ???  

how is that defensive ???  We weren’t losing at that point. 

Because we weren't winning either!

At 0-0 against the worst team in the league, who haven't scored for hours upon hours, when you are dominating, why bring on a CDM for a CDM....

If Tielemans would have come on instead of Ndidi we would have had a more attacking set up and they would have eventually crumbled under the pressure.

Brendan failed to take advantage of the game and so our shambolic run continues - Maintaining a CDM showed to me that B.R was happy for a draw.

Edited by adejo92

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

There were plenty of spells of sideways and backwards in our winning run .....it’s a bit like reminiscing that all summers were long, sunny and hot when you were a kid ........perhaps some of you should have a look at some of those games - not the highlights ..... all of it. You might be a little surprised ....

we are missing the bravery and confidence at the moment .....just need a couple of results to bring that back 

Think the difference is we moved the ball a bit quicker in those games, now it's all very slow and pedestrian, it really is like watching puel ball. Brendan seems very reluctant or just doesn't want to have a plan b. We could definitely do with someone we can get the ball up to and play off, instead we have 3 forward players isolated because our no 8 and 10 are coming deep to get the ball of the cbs then just give it them back anyway.

Whatever happened with claudio you have to say. He changed things a few times during the season we won the league, he didn't like the 5-2 v arsenal and the lack of clean sheets so he brought in 2 more defensive full backs. He also once teams had worked out how to play against us a little, made us even more resilient. That run of 1 nils is something we look unable to repeat right now. But we could certainly do with it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Because we weren't winning either!

At 0-0 against the worst team in the league, who haven't scored for hours upon hours, when you are dominating, why bring on a CDM for a CDM....

If Tielemans would have come on instead of Ndidi we would have had a more attacking set up and they would have eventually crumbled under the pressure.

Brendan failed to take advantage of the game and so our shambolic run continues - Maintaining a CDM showed to me that B.R was happy for a draw.

0-0 

away from home

You don't suddenly change to playing with no CDM unless you’re changing to three at the back 

The fact you said we were dominating tells me that we shouldn’t be changing too much - they wanted to get half an hour into wilf and hamza wasn’t paying v well

33 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Think the difference is we moved the ball a bit quicker in those games, now it's all very slow and pedestrian, it really is like watching puel ball. Brendan seems very reluctant or just doesn't want to have a plan b. We could definitely do with someone we can get the ball up to and play off, instead we have 3 forward players isolated because our no 8 and 10 are coming deep to get the ball of the cbs then just give it them back anyway.

I still don’t see much difference apart from the midfield not showing for fear of being under pressure and the defence not willing to make the brave pass into

midfield when it’s on in case it goes wrong 

One of the main points of playing It side to side at the back is to open up those spaces but if the team lacks the confidence to exploit the openings created then it is indeed fairly pointless - but it was right to do it earlier in the campaign and it still is if the players sort themselves out upstairs 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

0-0 

away from home

You don't suddenly change to playing with no CDM unless you’re changing to three at the back 

The fact you said we were dominating tells me that we shouldn’t be changing too much - they wanted to get half an hour into wilf and hamza wasn’t paying v well

I still don’t see much difference apart from the midfield not showing for fear of being under pressure and the defence not willing to make the brave pass into

midfield when it’s on in case it goes wrong 

One of the main points of playing It side to side at the back is to open up those spaces but if the team lacks the confidence to exploit the openings created then it is indeed fairly pointless - but it was right to do it earlier in the campaign and it still is if the players sort themselves out upstairs 

Are you forgetting that it was the worst team (by far) in the league... 

Such a negative set up before and during the game. 

7 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Are you forgetting that it was the worst team (by far) in the league..

Such a negative set up before and during the game. 

There isn’t really a worst team by far in the  prem 

if  Liverpool didn’t have the quality of mane on their bench a coupe weeks ago they may well have only drawn there 

it’s arrogant to think we just go there and attack without any care about the defensive side of the game - the fact we play with only one holding midfielder away from home is a more attacking set up than most teams have 

• Like 1

A passion and desire was sadly lacking against Norwich.

Apart from the effort that hit the post, every shot on goal from Leicester was like a pass back to there keeper. Too many players off form, maybe wholesale changes are needed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adejo92 said:

You cannot attack without winning the ball first, defensive midfielders tend to be misunderstood and under appreciated players.

18 hours ago, nettle said:

And that's why we should have gone out and got a winger or an attack minded player in January either on loan or permanent. 

I and many others may agree as probably does Rodgers but, your can't just pluck one out of thin air. Can you name one that was a significant upgrade on what we've got who was available and willing to come at a non ridiculous price? Why do we assume that only us wised up expert armchair supporters have a clearer vision of what's required than our highly paid professionals? It's glib and pretentious particularly as we have absolutely no idea of what enquires if any were made and who is currently being scouted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 29/02/2020 at 07:34, Matt said:

I just hope this acts in a way it did for Southampton getting embarrassed when we beat them 9-0.

No disrespect to Norwich but that was an embarrassment last night and perhaps might act as a wake up call to where we are as a team and give them all a kick up the backside.

I'm sick of hearing the excuses from management, players and fans since December, we're been awful during these last few months, take some responsibilty, have a little bit of honesty, stop papering over cracks and burying your heads in the sand otherwise we'll continue to be poor.

On the other hand are certain players really bothered? Hear me out. The type of players who are using us as a stepping stone and want these nig dream moves to Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, if we make Champions League it makes it harder for them to justify a move and god forbid them having to stay at Leicester.

Agreed. 

I wrote a post in December early January where I said ‘something has gone on’ or has happened behind the scenes which has changed the dynamic. Body language changed almost over night and the total transformation of the work ethic that was, disappeared to never return. As you can imagine, I was slaughtered on here for being a heretic, but here we are two months later.

Maddison may not want to be here next season. Is it a coincidence that as soon as the transfer window was on the horizon it all turned to shit?

No contract signed as yet, which we have been told for months now, would be. He needs dropping.

Chilwell - he thought the ‘big clubs’ were after him (I know not why because he’s never been any good at defending or passing the ball), maybe it’s that that made him get worse? He needs binning.

And then as others have said, the interview with Rodgers on Vardy’s ‘injury’ didn’t look convincing at all. It was like he was making it up on the spot. JV’s face is often telling; he’s not cracked a smile in months.

Its a queer situation (1940’s meaning that is) and I have to believe there has been some bust up. 

That aside can’t understand why the manager continues to pick woeful / out of form players, and cannot seem to get them to at least run around more. I think he’s Mr Nice guy who’s too soft with them and they are basically taking the piss. They need to be told that if they are not flat out they don’t ****ing play.

The End

• Like 2

On 01/03/2020 at 10:27, Bert said:

Agree with this. Albrighton is good for games where more cover is needed as he puts in a good defensive shift, we don't have anyone to take advantage of his crossing ability so as an attacking threat he's limited as he's not fast and rarely beats his man. Gray whilst inconsistent and sometimes wasteful does have pace and dribbling ability and he will always keep the opposition guessing, which is key at a point in the game that they are tiring.