Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

16 hours ago, AKCJ said:

There are 24 points left and we have an 8 point lead.

Meaning if Man United win all their games we'd need 16 points to guarantee top 4.

5 wins and a point.

We have games against Brighton, Everton, Palace, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Spurs, Man United.

In the reverse fixtures against those teams we picked up 21 points.

I actually think Chelsea are likelier to drop out. Their fixture list is pretty tough. They have Liverpool and Man City to play while also playing Sheffield United away.

Edit; this is without considering the fact that 5th is pretty likely to be a Champions League spot.

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I reckon 64pts should do it but I think we'll get 65.

Brighton (H) Win

Everton (A) Draw

Palace (H) Draw

Arsenal (A) Draw

Bournemouth (A) Win

Sheff Utd (H) Draw

Spurs (A) Draw

Man Utd (H) Loss

I think we'll lose to Arsenal and Spurs. 

Predictor... 

Screenshot_20200623_093939_com.android.chrome_1.thumb.jpg.7b71908db917502293998dd6894ec602.jpg

After game 35 we were ahead of Chelsea and Man Utd on 64 points. They were on 61.

Then got to the last day and saw we play Man Utd and Chelsea play Wolves which could decide a lot! 

West Ham also play Villa on final day, again which could be a huge game. 

The results I went for:

Brighton - win

Everton - draw 

Palace - win

Arsenal - lose

Bournemouth - win

Sheff Utd - win

Tottenham - lose

Man Utd - win

This makes things a lot more difficult. We really need to find a win to get into a bit of rhythm. We just have no attacking power at the minute and are very sloppy. Let's hope the FA Cup game can give us a mental break from the league and kickstart something.

We are scrapping to stay in Top 4 and Man U and Wolves are flying, Chelsea will have us in no time. Let's hope we can hang on to 4th.

We’re gonna blow this aren’t we? It sure feels like we’ve been on a slippery slope for a while. Rogers needs to feel the heat now. No more love fest. Chelski and manu are within touching distance now. Quality of football and performances have been so poor. 2019 seems like a lifetime ago. Was that really us tearing teams apart? Hard to believe.

1 minute ago, cruzFOX said:

We’re gonna blow this aren’t we? It sure feels like we’ve been on a slippery slope for a while. Rogers needs to feel the heat now. No more love fest. Chelski and manu are within touching distance now. Quality of football and performances have been so poor. 2019 seems like a lifetime ago. Was that really us tearing teams apart? Hard to believe.

It's a good job we have this buffer. However, if we don't start picking wins up, that will evaporate very quickly. I think 63/64 points might be where we finish, which may "only" be enough for 6th.

Look it was a shambles of a performance but we've been here before and one win against villa changed things. We're still in a decent position but we need to pick up results and we must not lose to our rivals. All the other teams below us will lose points, quite simply, we can't lose more than them. 

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It's a good job we have this buffer. However, if we don't start picking wins up, that will evaporate very quickly. I think 63/64 points might be where we finish, which may "only" be enough for 6th.

You think Wolves and Man U are going to get more then 63/64 points?

No way are they are both taking 17 pts from 21 pts available points.

Team.    Max.    2pts.   1.5pts 

Leicester  76      69          65   

Chelsea    75      67          63.       

Man Utd   70      62          58.        

Wolves      70     62           58

Spurs        66     58           54      

Sheff Utd  68     60           56      

Maximum points for the chasing pack, Sheff United and Spurs would struggle to catch us, even with 2 points per game we would only need 5 more points to finish above them, they also still have to play each other. 

Some Key games:

Sheff United play all teams, and will have a big day on who gets the top 4 spots.

Last game of the season we ply United and Wolves play Chelsea.

38 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Wolves and United both play twice in the league again before we play Everton.... so both could be within 3 points! Squeaky bum time!

Wolves have Bournemouth and villa, united have Sheffield United and Brighton....

The one thing that’s unusual this season is how many teams have something to play for at the back end of the campaign ...

there are few straightforward fixtures 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

8 or 9 more points needed IMO. I just can't see where any of those wins are going to come from, we're so so poor.

We aren't going to go 9 games winless. We've been poor in these two games but it won't last forever. Arsenal, Everton, Palace and Bournemouth are four great opportunities for points, especially given the first three could well be on the beach by the time we play them. Same with Sheffield United in game no.36, who will probably be settled in the Europa League by then and have little to play for.

We only need to have a 7 point lead to seal this with two games to spare. Which we will at the very least have with 7 games to go. Maintain the gap for five games and we are there.

And despite the disappointment of these results, we only need Sheff Utd and Bournemouth to avoid defeats and we still actually have that 8 point lead we had before we started. I know both are unlikely results but it's not totally out of the question - and we know that Wolves and United won't win 8 on the spin either.

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

We aren't going to go 9 games winless. We've been poor in these two games but it won't last forever. Arsenal, Everton, Palace and Bournemouth are four great opportunities for points, especially given the first three could well be on the beach by the time we play them. Same with Sheffield United in game no.36, who will probably be settled in the Europa League by then and have little to play for.

We only need to have a 7 point lead to seal this with two games to spare. Which we will at the very least have with 7 games to go. Maintain the gap for five games and we are there.

And despite the disappointment of these results, we only need Sheff Utd and Bournemouth to avoid defeats and we still actually have that 8 point lead we had before we started. I know both are unlikely results but it's not totally out of the question - and we know that Wolves and United won't win 8 on the spin either.

You're probably right mate, I'm just so annoyed by this situation atm. We need to just fluke a win somehow to get 3 points on the point, but that's the only way I can see us winning, getting some luck rather than through being good ourselves and playing a team off the park.

1 hour ago, joachim1965 said:

I know, we were terrible last time, wouldn't want that to happen again.

The team that played in the champions league last time actually had a set of bollocks about them. That’s the difference. 

Realistically, the better squads come through towards the end of the season. The difficulty we have is that we have a good starting 11 but comparing our squad to Wolves, United and Spurs, we are not as good.

Genuinely thought we’d scrape a win today - it’s the results end of the season. Unfortunately, I think Everton away is never an easy place so we could drop out of the top four or at least be on equal points with Wolves or United come the end of the Everton game. That equals pressure and that’s where we falter. I think it’s inevitable that we fall away before the two pressure games at the end of the season. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see how we can turn it on against harder opposition (with the exception of Bournemouth) after essentially throwing away four points.