Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

Cant see us beating man utd currently even if we had a sizable upturn and regardless of how good we are and how bad they are we will never ever win away at Arsenal. Winning the other 4 games 'should' be enough but our room for error will be absolute zero.

Funny thing is we could of had this locked if we were just average it’s so frustrating.

Chelseas loss at West Ham has given us at least a small chance, huge result for us.

Chelsea will get at least to 65 with their fixtures and so will Utd. I think we need 10 points to stand a chance and so we probably need to get 4 points out the next 2 and then 2 big games vs Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd where if we can’t get 6/6 from them, we really don’t deserve top 4 anyway!

The way Newcastle destroyed Bournemouth and Utd destroyed Sheffield Utd, there’s no excuse on the opposition.

The next 2 results are crucial, we have slight chance but we need to pick pull something out of nothing it seems!

3 points ahead of 5th. Superior goal difference at +9. We need to win FOUR of our six remaining cup finals to GUARANTEE the Champions League. Everybody needs to chill out. 

We have been shocking since Christmas, but the lads need us more than ever in this run in. Turning on them on social media isn't going to help confidence. 

Guest bennytwohats
2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can someone do the maths? I hope we aren't reliant on a certain result in the Wolves vs. Chelsea game on the last day.

There are too many permutations still in play to be able to say whether or not we'd be reliant on that game or not.

Ultimately, 4 wins would virtually guarantee top 4. 3 wins would likely be enough, but in question. Anything less and we'd need some pretty good fortune in other games to stay top 4 I would guess.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can someone do the maths? I hope we aren't reliant on a certain result in the Wolves vs. Chelsea game on the last day.

If Man City ban is upheld, 5th will get CL.

Wolves currently in 6th on 52 pts - maximum points they can get is 67

Arsenal currently in 7th on 49 pts - maximum is 64

Sheff Utd currently in 8th on 47 pts - maximum is 65

Tottenham currently in 9th on 45 - maximum is 63

We're on 58 pts so 3 more wins should do it I imagine.

Teams in that bunch, including us, that still have to play each other so points will be taken off them anyway

Arsenal vs Leicester
Leicester vs Sheff Utd
Tottenham vs Leicester
Sheff Utd vs Wolves
Tottenham vs Arsenal

I've discounted Chelsea & Man Utd as I think they're in such good form they'll get several more points anyway.

Plus, according to you, Chelsea play Chelsea anyway :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

I thought a few weeks back (was just after the Brighton game actually, feels like ages ago) 9 points would be enough, we've got 3 so far, but that depends if 5th gets CL, if it does then another 6 will be enough IMO.

If only top 4 gets CL, then I reckon we could need another 8 or 9 points, but a lot will depend on the United result.

Week of 13th July they reckon the decision for the CL ban will be announced.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

In reality we should be out of sight, Its annoying that we could still throw away CL football.

If Man City ban stands then I think we will make it. If not, then we are in trouble as Chelsea and Man Utd are in such good form.

The fivethirtyeight model sees the top five as nearly done and dusted.  But predicts a photo finish for third/fourth/fifth.

I believe that is correct.  With only five games left, fifth place is a huge ask for Wolves (still to play SHU, Everton, Burnley, Chelsea) or Arsenal (us, Spurs, Pool, Man City).  Arsenal would have to run the table, and Wolves take at least four from five.  Their fixtures don't set up for that.

We're nearly home and dry unless Man City are reinstated and it becomes a top four race.

CLchancesJul4.thumb.JPG.91dacaa7db7cc478ec6233222b9262cb.JPG

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 1

We need that spirit of 15/16 season back when spuds said they were coming for us.

have a photo of manu &. Chelski plastered all over the place to remind the players until their sick of seeing it. That will fire Them up!

67 points should be enough (3 wins) providing one of those wins is against Utd. Then it will likely come down to goal difference.  Ours is +9 better than Utd at the moment, could be very close come the end of the season though.

All the teams that can catch us and their Maximum points. Keeping in mind that many of these still have to play each other.

Leicester     73

Chelsea       72

Man Utd      70

Wolves        67

Arsenal        64

Sheff Utd     65

Spurs           63

Burnley        63

Everton        62

Newcastle   60  

With the fixtures coming up a win against Arsenal makes all but certain of a top 6 finish.

9 points and top 5 is mathematically certain, that’s without the chasing pack dropping any points. 
3,4,5 will be who holds their nerve. 
6 points in the next 4 ensures at very worst a CL will go to the final day.

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

All the teams that can catch us and their Maximum points. Keeping in mind that many of these still have to play each other.

Leicester     73

Chelsea       72

Man Utd      70

Wolves        67

Arsenal        64

Sheff Utd     65

Spurs           63

Burnley        63

Everton        62

Newcastle   60  

With the fixtures coming up a win against Arsenal makes all but certain of a top 6 finish.

9 points and top 5 is mathematically certain, that’s without the chasing pack dropping any points. 

****s sake now I'm worried about Newcastle.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Leicester     73

Chelsea       72

Man Utd      70

Wolves        67

Arsenal        64

Sheff Utd     65

Spurs           63

Burnley        63

Everton        62

Newcastle   60  

I think the last bunch of results have shown that the top teams in form can easily slip up. Chelsea vs West Ham and Wolves vs Arsenal. Most of the scenarios I'm thinking of have Chelsea, Man U and Wolves all getting over 10 points for the last 5 games. That is unlikely. I think it'll be close but I do think we can get over the line.