Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

Just now, deanolegend1989 said:

I agree but can you see us getting 9-11 points from the next 5?

i can see 5 at best!

6 against Palace and Sheff United, 2 home games against teams with nothing to play for. 3 points between incredibly poor Arsenal, Bournemouth sides then Everton is the toughest game we have left before the final day of the season - but again they’re not playing for anything.

I think we are as good as guaranteed 6th place. Sheff Utd have had it and Spurs are not good enough to go unbeaten until the end of the season. Unless we go winless and completely collapse.

Wolves and Man U are not going to drop many more points, we all have fairly similar run ins. Bournemouth, Sheff Utd should give us 6 points, nothing less acceptable. Everton and Arsenal maybe good for a point. Palace again, maybe a point, puts us on 64 points and that could be tight if Wolves/Man U keep winning but it should be enough for us.

2W

3D

2L

Should be enough for Top 4.

Chelsea will surely drop out looking at their run-in.

1 hour ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Looking at Utds fixtures. Going in to our game at the KP. They have 6 games, I can easily see them winning at least 4 wins 2 draws out of that taking them to 63. So I’d think we would need 66 going into that game to be safe? 

I think you are correct, but I do fear United will win 6 of the 7 remains games. The way they have played tonight and second half v spurs. They are flying. Pogba and Fernandes together, front 3 look dangerous. Their fixtures are pretty comfortable. They do have 4 sides near the bottom fighting for points though but I can see the better sides winning without home / away advantage. 5 wins and we are guaranteed champions league, we never do things easy! 

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

14 from 21 is tough, only Liverpool and Man City have averaged 2 points per game or better this season.

I guess the other key factor is 2 games a week every week for 4/5 weeks. Yes Man U have a big squad but rotation can slow progress. And Wolves are one or two injuries or just tiredness away from a bad result or two. So I do agree it is difficult.

At the end of the day, it is still all in our hands. We need to keep slipping up and others winning.

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think we are as good as guaranteed 6th place. Sheff Utd have had it and Spurs are not good enough to go unbeaten until the end of the season. Unless we go winless and completely collapse.

Wolves and Man U are not going to drop many more points, we all have fairly similar run ins. Bournemouth, Sheff Utd should give us 6 points, nothing less acceptable. Everton and Arsenal maybe good for a point. Palace again, maybe a point, puts us on 64 points and that could be tight if Wolves/Man U keep winning but it should be enough for us.

2W

3D

2L

Should be enough for Top 4.

Chelsea will surely drop out looking at their run-in.

I agree with your assessment on the fixtures. Bournemouth and Sheff United we should win, I would add Palace too. They will be on their holidays by then I feel. Arsenal a draw.

Everton I think we will lose, Then United and Spurs incredibly tough. 

I think 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats in the run in. Just missing out on champions league. 

1 minute ago, Unique FC said:

I think you are correct, but I do fear United will win 6 of the 7 remains games. The way they have played tonight and second half v spurs. They are flying. Pogba and Fernandes together, front 3 look dangerous. Their fixtures are pretty comfortable. They do have 4 sides near the bottom fighting for points though but I can see the better sides winning without home / away advantage. 5 wins and we are guaranteed champions league, we never do things easy! 

I agree I see Man Utd smashing it, they look a balanced strong side. I can’t see them dropping many points. They will get at least 66 points.

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

6 against Palace and Sheff United, 2 home games against teams with nothing to play for. 3 points between incredibly poor Arsenal, Bournemouth sides then Everton is the toughest game we have left before the final day of the season - but again they’re not playing for anything.

We need 11 total I’d say to be comfortable. 66 points.

Spurs away and Utd I don’t see anything.

Everton A 1 at best realistically.

so maybe need 10 from the other 4. Whilst on paper that seems possible, current form I don’t think we are capable of winning 3. Away at arsenal, despite how bad Arsenal are will probably be a loss.

A lot of pressure on the Bournemouth/Sheffield Utd double. 6 points seems essential out of them 2!

• Like 1

I think we will finish 5th or 6th unfortunately.  Our form over the past dozen or games has not been good enough for a team vying for the champions league and our lack of creativity has been abundant recently.  Still very happy with the season as a whole.

Man Utd's will be licking their lips at their run-in and haven't lost since Fernandes has started!  I've had a bet on them pinching a top 4 place.

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Still think people are over estimating the amount of points Man U, Wolves are going to take, I'd be very surprise if they both break the 60 point marker, both would need to win 5 or win 4 & draw 2 to hit 60 point.

I think we will win 1 or 2, lose 2 or 3.

So we will get to about 60 points

Man utd and wolves I think one of them will maintain their 2 ppg average, and finish on about 63.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Can you honestly say we would be favored against any PL opponent at this stage, the way we're playing?

Yes, form is temporary. What we have is a goal scorer in Vardy who only needs one chance. 
We haven’t created anything in the first two games, but we do have creative players.

We are also generally pretty tight at the back, had anyone outside the top 4 scored twice in a game past us this season?

This means we are always in the game. It’s been frustrating, purely because of how good it was in the first half of the season. 
At this stage, we will go into every one of our last 7 games as bookies favourites.

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Yes, form is temporary. What we have is a goal scorer in Vardy who only needs one chance. 
We haven’t created anything in the first two games, but we do have creative players.

We are also generally pretty tight at the back, had anyone outside the top 4 scored twice in a game past us this season?

This means we are always in the game. It’s been frustrating, purely because of how good it was in the first half of the season. 
At this stage, we will go into every one of our last 7 games as bookies favourites.

On that point, we apparently play the four lowest scorers in the league. 0-0 our way to CL

9 hours ago, Unique FC said:

I agree with your assessment on the fixtures. Bournemouth and Sheff United we should win, I would add Palace too. They will be on their holidays by then I feel. Arsenal a draw.

Everton I think we will lose, Then United and Spurs incredibly tough. 

I think 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats in the run in. Just missing out on champions league. 

I think if we get 3 wins and a draw then we will not miss out on CL. I can't see Chelsea get more than 65 points and only one of Wolves/Man U will get that much.

So sad to read "think we'll just miss out on Champions League"... but it's hard to argue against that given what we have seen for a long time now.

Tielemens gave us a nice shot in the arm last Jan. Still can't help feeling we needed a similar shot this time round. Ryan Bennett was not that 'shot' we needed....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think if we get 3 wins and a draw then we will not miss out on CL. I can't see Chelsea get more than 65 points and only one of Wolves/Man U will get that much.

Chelsea do have probably harder fixtures Man United and Wolves. 

We never do things the easy way, 5 wins guarantees us champions league. I hope you are correct of course! I just think we will miss out by a couple of points. 

United did great getting Fernandes in January. I was so annoyed we didn't strengthen. Always improves the hunger and drive of the team when a new decent player arrives. 

34 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

So sad to read "think we'll just miss out on Champions League"... but it's hard to argue against that given what we have seen for a long time now.

Tielemens gave us a nice shot in the arm last Jan. Still can't help feeling we needed a similar shot this time round. Ryan Bennett was not that 'shot' we needed....

Yeah it’s interesting - if we do miss out on CL I wonder whether they’ll rue not strengthening at that point. 

Having said that - I’m generally not a fan of January recruitment.

Also although we’d fallen off during December, we’d been on a brilliant run just before that. 

I won’t blame them for not signing anyone. But it’s interesting to ponder what we might have been. 

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Yeah you're right I suppose , I'm not normally negative. But atm it's how I feel. Sorry. 

There there lad. I think we're all feeling the same. It's like you can see the pot of gold at the end of the bridge but the rope that's holding it is slowly tearing apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

We'll beat Manure in the final game of the season to overtake them.

It would be funny to see Vardy rip Maguire a new one, and then see Harry crying in a heap afterwards. lol Unfortunately the below is true:

54 minutes ago, sdb said:

Fact of the matter is, if we play like we have done the last 2 games, we won't win again this season.

Unless we sort our shit out and learn that if you want to win a football match you need to be effective in the final third, you have to be able to make a killer pass and shoot on occasion. Practice set pieces, we are absolutely tragic at them, we might as well forefit our corners.  Having 65% possession at the back will not ever win games unless you score first.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Man U will win all their remaining fixtures, they look good. Us on the other hand...

They will finish around 70 points. So that means we need 15 out of a remaining 21?

Remember 5th is a CL spot. So it matters more how well Wolves and Spurs do.