Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Slimani - Get him back in

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he hasn't played for us for about 2 years and he is not injured...!!!

Can you give a reason for this?

Neither had Andy King but it would be ludicrous to suggest he doesn't fit in with these players. Given the focus on youth, it was obvious that Brendan placed a lot of faith in Kelechi to step up this season - which to be fair he has in parts. Prioritising a younger player over someone over 30 is natural and also fit with Puel's ideology too, so perhaps both gave him the option to either spend most of the season on the bench, or go out on loan. Times change - we could have done with some more experience up front this year and I think, since we've already spent on Slimani, it would be wise to assess his mentality/physical state before shipping him off for good. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Looks like Percy (or whoever proof reads his articles) can't spell!

What's it supposed to say then? I assumed it was one of those body parts that you only learn about via footballers' injuries (like the metatarsal).

Bring back the good old days of ankle, thigh, calf, hamstring or groin.

3 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

What's it supposed to say then? I assumed it was one of those body parts that you only learn about via footballers' injuries (like the metatarsal).

Bring back the good old days of ankle, thigh, calf, hamstring or groin.

Adductor strain, basically a groin muscle

Guest seanfox778

To be fair, he wasn’t terrible in the 16/17 season when he had a run of games. Scored some nice goals, always good to have another option if Vardy is injured. 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Looks like we could see Slimani featuring for us at some point then

Brendan Rodgers has revealed that £28million signing Islam Slimani will be given a surprise reprieve with Leicester.

Slimani is back in Leicester's plans for this season and in line to make his first appearance in nearly three years later in the campaign.

The Algeria international was Leicester's record signing after the club's Premier League title win, but has been loaned out to Newcastle, Fenerbahce and Monaco during the past two-and-a-half seasons.

Slimani, 32, was targeted by West Brom earlier this month but the move fell through and he is now set for a second chance at the King Power Stadium.

He has not featured for Leicester since an FA Cup tie against Fleetwood on January 16 2018.

Rodgers said: "There is a role for him this season. He's a player I've liked and before he came in here he had been the No.1 striker so it's been difficult for him.

"He hasn't really featured for us much in pre-season because the thinking was that he would have gone out.

"But I've had it in my mind that if he didn't go out he could certainly be someone that can come into our squad. He's someone I'll happily welcome in because it's going to be a real demand for all the players, and to have quality players is important.

"He's a physical presence so he can give us an option in the games."

Rodgers, meanwhile, is facing an injury crisis ahead of Sunday's league game against Aston Villa.

Caglar Soyuncu is set to miss out with an abductor strain while Jamie Vardy (calf), Jonny Evans (abdomen) are doubtful. Daniel Amartey, the defender, will be absent for a "number of weeks" with a hamstring injury.

The best news I've had since they signed Fofana. Hope he kicks ass.:schmike:

51 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Now Vardy is struggling for Villa, could we see Slim on the bench?

Starting even...:ph34r:

Nothing wrong with him and Iheanacho fighting it out. Besides you guys tell me Slimani is a bit of a ****. Sounds like something we could use with Vardy possibly out. Players with something to prove make games interesting.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Very surprised at this, I thought he was done here.

Happy to have him back in as a 3rd striker, we need all the (decent) bodies we can get.

I'd personally be more confident with him as 2nd striker. Guess we'll find out whenever Vardy doesn't play (maybe tomorrow?) 

On 01/08/2020 at 20:25, sacreblueits442 said:

...he hasn't played for us for about 2 years and he is not injured...!!!

Can you give a reason for this?

Too expensive to play 2nd fiddle and his own expectations you would expect to match that. 

Wrote it off as one that didn't work. Tried to get some money back, player lost confidence, etc. Etc. 

He certainly has the platform to be motivated and I would personally play him over Iheanacho if only for the chance of a papy Mendy style turnaround. 

In today's market Papy Mendy was a bargain to re sign as a very able deputy imo. 

If we can get similar here we're potentially onto a winner. His wages now are what they are, he certainly won't get that again, unless he bags a hatful, and then he'll probably be worth it, even to us. 

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

I've always rated him. Just didn't fit in to the way we played. Can see him scoring some important goals for us this season given the chance. Can we still include him in the europa league squad? May as-well get the most out of him before he buggers off on a free. Clearly we aren't going to recoup the money we spent. 

• Like 1