Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Slimani - Get him back in

Sell him, never fitted in here, and by all accounts was a bit of a cock too.

Calling for a player regarded as a bit of a trouble maker to be returned to the team because he’s found some form elsewhere is like calling for Harold Shipman to be returned to the local practice because he’s cured a few earaches.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Calling for a player regarded as a bit of a trouble maker to be returned to the team because he’s found some form elsewhere is like calling for Harold Shipman to be returned to the local practice because he’s cured a few earaches.

A lot of people like yourself say sell him which is very easy to say but hugely unrealistic. Both he and Silva are in the last year of their contracts yet still, for the sort of continental sides that are likely to want them, at their ages, they are on terrifically high wages. Therefore I don't see anyone whatsoever wanting to pay even the smallest of fees for them as well as inherit a huge wage bill. Likewise the players won't be in a huge rush either as they'll probably get more money for themselves and their families in this one year, even if they just sit on their backsides, than even a two or three year new deal with another club. The very best we can hope for is a loan deal with us copping for a high percentage of their wages I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

A lot of people like yourself say sell him which is very easy to say but hugely unrealistic. Both he and Silva are in the last year of their contracts yet still, for the sort of continental sides that are likely to want them, at their ages, they are on terrifically high wages. Therefore I don't see anyone whatsoever wanting to pay even the smallest of fees for them as well as inherit a huge wage bill. Likewise the players won't be in a huge rush either as they'll probably get more money for themselves and their families in this one year, even if they just sit on their backsides, than even a two or three year new deal with another club. The very best we can hope for is a loan deal with us copping for a high percentage of their wages I'm afraid. 

All true so the ball is in his (Slimani) court, he has a few things to weigh up as he is 32.

Does he sit on his arse for another year getting the higher wage or fold and ask for a transfer. 
Myself I’d ask for the transfer and try and secure myself a 3yr contract on lesser money, this way I secure myself wages for 3yrs which if worked correctly would off set difference of the higher wage.

If I sat on my arse for a year yes I reap the higher wage but I’m also out the footballing eye, I will also be 33 and it would be a lot harder to secure a contract when 33 and having not played for a season.

So come on Slim, man up and ship out, it hasn’t worked for you, put in the request and move back to Portugal for 3yrs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yep..  The unfortunate ways of the world....

In the future clubs might Think about wage Reduction or Performance Related ( long Not term contracts) when considered top player is Not bringing expected

Standards over a long period....If a Player is just Not Wanted by a new manager, that stays a club problem.

Easier said than done...various mitigating issues..!!

Both Silva and Slimani are on £80k a week, unless we can get them to move to another Prem team or relatively big clubs in Europe we are very likely to be paying a good wedge for the final year of their contracts whether they are on loan or sold

Even if we do manage to sell them I doubt we will get anymore than £10-15m combined for them

Edited by moore_94

Frustrating in that he'd be such a good signing for someone and also worth a fair chunk of money, but his wages probably mean he'll leave here on a free next summer. Even if we were to play a different system and he chilled tf out, it could work.

He and AS are gonna end up two of our worst ever signings if we're talking value for money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Both Silva and Slimani are on £80k a week, unless we can get them to move to another Prem team or relatively big clubs in Europe we are very likely to be paying a good wedge for the final year of their contracts whether they are on loan or sold

Even if we do manage to sell them I doubt we will get anymore than £10-15m combined for them

Can't believe Silva wasn't given much more of a go, especially under Rodgers. Can't be that bad of a player given the career he's had.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dayday said:

I’ll be blunt, he’s shit, he can’t hold the ball up, his touch was shocking and runs like a cart horse, god knows what our scouts was looking at before we signed him,

And that he thrived as being the most advanced striker or played on his own. In our infinite wisdom we thought signing a limited number 9 to play behind one of the best no 9s in the world would work lol 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, dayday said:

I’ll be blunt, he’s shit, he can’t hold the ball up, his touch was shocking and runs like a cart horse, god knows what our scouts was looking at before we signed him,

Probably the 48 goals in 82 games. 

Not worked here but let's not pretend he didn't look good before coming to us. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

the days of finding diamonds in the rough are drying up. Think big - spend big (within limits). 

IMO clubs like Leipzig, Brentford, Atalanta disprove this.  We can afford a couple of proven players per year -- which is also about what we lose.  Finding those gems remains a necessity.

5 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

But if you have a town with no old people and the general populous suffer a lot of ear aches then he would seem a good choice?!

I'm not too knowledgeable in this area but cant we just use the combined final year salaries for sliminali and silva and sell them for that price to another club thus bringing in 2 more players to the squad?

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Perez worked off big men at Newcastle, one of which was Slimani for a while. Worth a try as an alternative option I think.

That's a very loose definition of a while.

He played 130 minutes in total at Newcastle with injuries and suspension it was a bit of a disaster all told. I doubt Perez will even remember he played with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

And that he thrived as being the most advanced striker or played on his own. In our infinite wisdom we thought signing a limited number 9 to play behind one of the best no 9s in the world would work lol 

So why sign him in the first place, for £30 million you would expect a better all round footballer, we definitely had our pants pulled down.