Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Seems the Belgium league has been voided - Club Brugge named champions.

Did read a while back they had just agreed a new TV deal for next season so wonder if they were under pressure to come up with a resolution for this season?
Edited by Super_horns

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Seems the Belgium league has been voided - Club Brugge named champions.

Did read a while back they had just agreed a new TV deal for next season so wonder if they were under pressure to come up with a resolution for this season?

Not voided as such. Just champions and CL places awarded based on standing now. They had played 29 games, at 30 they have one of those weird split things anyway I think.

Relegation also not sorted as they have a playoff system for that as well, so that still needs resolving.

As far as I can see they also haven't awarded the EL places as they are also included in their ofd play off system.

• Like 1

Rugby Union in England below the Premiership have come up with an equation based on "best playing record" - Honours awarded, promotion and relegation stands - not sure about how play-offs are overcome though.

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/league-positions-for-professional-and-community-game-confirmed

Of course, there's no money involved here really so its a decision solely based on "integrity of the season".

I don't see how it would be viable to completely void the 19-20 season - and not only because of the acrimony and legal action from those clubs/fans adversely affected.

How would players or fans have any trust that a new season would be meaningful, when in theory it could also be voided?

That's particularly so as one of the few things that seems clear is that coronavirus won't be eliminated for at least 12-18 months....the new season would be clouded with continuous doubt.

I can see different ways forward depending on what happens with the virus:

1) Best (but unlikely) outcome: Virus subsides enough to allow 19-20 season to be completed in June/July, possibly behind closed doors & televised - and 20-21 season can proceed, maybe slightly later than planned and with extra health precautions.

2) Virus looks set to take longer to subside: complete 19-20 season in autumn, then have a shortened 20-21 season after Christmas....allows some flexibility if virus subsides but has a 2nd wave. Not sure what would happen with CL & EL 20-21, though....

3) End but don't void 19-20 season. If time permitted, there could be play-offs for those just inside/outside promotion & relegation zones & CL qualification places - but Liverpool get title, Leeds & WBA get promoted and Leicester get CL, as all those issues are clear-cut (:whistle:)....preferably CL play-offs between Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves & Sheff. Utd, but not Spurs or Arsenal (;)). 20-21 season, inc. CL could then proceed as planned (maybe with a late start), if virus situation allows. Maybe 19-20 FA Cup quarter-finalists could get a bye to a home tie in the 5th round in 20-21....

48 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I don't see how it would be viable to completely void the 19-20 season - and not only because of the acrimony and legal action from those clubs/fans adversely affected.

How would players or fans have any trust that a new season would be meaningful, when in theory it could also be voided?

That's particularly so as one of the few things that seems clear is that coronavirus won't be eliminated for at least 12-18 months....the new season would be clouded with continuous doubt.

I can see different ways forward depending on what happens with the virus:

1) Best (but unlikely) outcome: Virus subsides enough to allow 19-20 season to be completed in June/July, possibly behind closed doors & televised - and 20-21 season can proceed, maybe slightly later than planned and with extra health precautions.

2) Virus looks set to take longer to subside: complete 19-20 season in autumn, then have a shortened 20-21 season after Christmas....allows some flexibility if virus subsides but has a 2nd wave. Not sure what would happen with CL & EL 20-21, though....

3) End but don't void 19-20 season. If time permitted, there could be play-offs for those just inside/outside promotion & relegation zones & CL qualification places - but Liverpool get title, Leeds & WBA get promoted and Leicester get CL, as all those issues are clear-cut (:whistle:)....preferably CL play-offs between Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves & Sheff. Utd, but not Spurs or Arsenal (;)). 20-21 season, inc. CL could then proceed as planned (maybe with a late start), if virus situation allows. Maybe 19-20 FA Cup quarter-finalists could get a bye to a home tie in the 5th round in 20-21....

I can't see how anything can be described as 'clear cut'. You just never know what is likely to happen in future matches - look at Leeds last season.

1 minute ago, fox in the sox said:

I can't see how anything can be described as 'clear cut'. You just never know what is likely to happen in future matches - look at Leeds last season.

Hence why I inserted "(:whistle:)" after "clear-cut" - admittedly with particular reference to it being "clear-cut" that LCFC would make the CL.

Sure, in theory Liverpool could still lose the PL title, never mind the situation of LCFC or LeedsWBA not being completely clear-cut. That's why the best option would be to finish this season....but it's looking increasingly unlikely that will be possible.

So, I was looking at alternatives to that best option.

What do you think should happen? Or what options do you think should be considered?

Given that with every passing day this period of madness looks like being longer, rather then shorter, maybe cancel next season and use next season to finish this one? If this season  cannot resume until late autumn - and I’m increasingly thinking that might still be optimistic - then start again in December. A few friendlies in November? Transfer windows as normal. Wrap up early In the spring and give everyone a freshening up period ahead of the Euros. Nobody will be ‘cheated’ out of promotion/ titles etc by cancelling the following season if it hasn’t actually started. To wipe out this season would be the worst option, as lots would be penalised massively. 

• Like 2

Surely there's need to be a universal decision across Europe? Particularly the top leagues. 

For me, assuming the league's can't be finished before or during the early summer, would be to complete this season between August and December. Write off the 20/21 season and get creative with a tournament style league between Jan and may leading to the euros. Hopefully then being able to begin the league system afresh in 21/22.

I know that brings own questions regarding player contracts etc and when or how do people make transfers. 

There is no easy way to resolve this. 

Just realised the post above is pretty much the same idea.

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I hope this happens because the premier league will be resolved to go it alone in UK if that occurs ! We will finally Be able to pay to watch what we want when we want it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Given that with every passing day this period of madness looks like being longer, rather then shorter, maybe cancel next season and use next season to finish this one? If this season  cannot resume until late autumn - and I’m increasingly thinking that might still be optimistic - then start again in December. A few friendlies in November? Transfer windows as normal. Wrap up early In the spring and give everyone a freshening up period ahead of the Euros. Nobody will be ‘cheated’ out of promotion/ titles etc by cancelling the following season if it hasn’t actually started. To wipe out this season would be the worst option, as lots would be penalised massively. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Surely there's need to be a universal decision across Europe? Particularly the top leagues. 

For me, assuming the league's can't be finished before or during the early summer, would be to complete this season between August and December. Write off the 20/21 season and get creative with a tournament style league between Jan and may leading to the euros. Hopefully then being able to begin the league system afresh in 21/22.

I know that brings own questions regarding player contracts etc and when or how do people make transfers. 

There is no easy way to resolve this. 

Just realised the post above is pretty much the same idea.

I doubt that the clubs are going to cancel next season and lose 120m in preference to voiding this one and losing 40m ....

15 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

And I think the TV companies would have a strong say too.

Well that’s the point ....... the tv companies will pay for what they get ......the prem league can cancel next season but will lose all the monies they are contracted to receive from all tv contracts 

As expected...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52140204

The restart date for the Premier League will be pushed back on Friday.

All 20 Premier League clubs will meet via video and it is accepted by all that there is no hope of professional games being played immediately after the current 30 April deadline.

The Premier League could shift the date back into May or opt to follow Spain and France, who have shut down their leagues for an indefinite period.

Italy have talked of Serie A returning in late May, but that seems optimistic.

Pushing the date back would allow Premier League clubs the chance to offer their stadiums and medical staff to the National Health Service, knowing they would not be required in the short term.

That would at least correct some of the negative publicity that has accompanied news that four clubs, including Tottenham, are already using the government's furlough scheme to compensate laid-off workers by up to £2,500-a-month, despite their players and manager Jose Mourinho, some of whom earn in excess of £100,000-a-week, remaining on full pay.

Talks between the Premier League, Football League and both the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) and League Managers' Association (LMA) are continuing, with clubs expected to be updated on this at Friday's meeting.

Explanation for the delay in players accepting pay cuts or, more likely, wage deferrals - including the fact they are financial assets of their clubs in addition to employees and have watertight contracts which, in some cases, expire on 30 June - has cut little ice with many within the general public and also some politicians, who have made their displeasure clear.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe and Brighton counterpart Graham Potter have both taken the personal decision to accept significant cuts without waiting for any central directive from the LMA.

Talks about a resumption are also anticipated, when the prospect of games being played behind closed doors, potentially in a limited number of locations, will be discussed.

Training grounds have been mentioned as potentially hosting games, although it is difficult to work out how this would be a safer environment than stadiums, which, evidently, are built to host matches that, by definition, need to be broadcast in order to avoid the £750m repayment to TV companies that would be triggered by a failure to complete the current season.

That such a scenario has even been discussed underlines the overwhelming desire among Premier League clubs, which remains to complete the season in its entirety.

However, Premier League sources are equally adamant nothing will be agreed that places any unnecessary strain on medical resources at a time of national crisis.

Even in a sterile environment it is acknowledged how bad it would look for the game if a player needed hospital treatment for a broken leg at a time when significant numbers of the general population were dying of coronavirus.

So, alternative options are being discussed, in England and across Europe.

Insiders at European football's governing body Uefa have confirmed that places reserved in next season's Europa League for domestic cup winners would revert to league positions if those tournaments were not completed.

The Belgian League has become the first to declare its season over, although with 29 games out of 30 in the regular league programme already played, effectively it has abandoned the play-off system that should have followed and is seen as a special case.

Of more consequence for the major leagues is the massive financial hit taken by Ligue 1 after their domestic rights holders Canal+ and beIN Sports confirmed an intention to withhold the latest payment, which was due on 5 April.

Should France, Italy or Spain close their leagues down for the season, that is likely to have far reaching consequences for the game given, together with England, 16 out of the 28 teams remaining in the Champions or Europa Leagues come from one of those four countries.

17 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

If all leagues were to be voided, technically speaking..does that mean that Bury could return next season? As they would now have time to gain funding. 

I like your thinking.  Any club that goes under with all the money that we big clubs make is sickening.  

For me that would be a plus out if these times of worry.

Why are UEFA saying that clubs could forfeit their European competition places if leagues aren't restarted in time? 

How does that work? Are they really going to make clubs like Juve, Barca, Real etc exempt because they couldn't restart their seasons?! How is that fair? 

Not to mention clubs in PL, obviously including ourselves. Would we miss out because we haven't played in Europe for a few seasons?