Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Here's a weird stat for those of you who believe in cosmic balance and symmetry ...

LCFC formed in 1874, and after 132 years in 2016, the best ever thing in football happened.

The Football League started in 1888, and after 132 years in 2020, the worst ever thing happened.

Newton's 3rd law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I'm not convinced that the current hiatus is worse than the suspension of league football for 6 seasons and the tens of millions of deaths in World War 2.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

Footballs been gone 1 month and people are comparing it to the 6 years it was missing due to WW2!? We have longer pre seasons than this!

The effect of a global pandemic, is obviously very different to the apocalyptic 2nd World War.

But I would suggest that football today is in a much worse position that it was 80 years ago.

The 1939-40 season was only 3 games old, and abandoning it was a piece of cake.   They just scrapped it, and the decision probably took all of 5 minutes to make  (they had carried on with football in the first year of WW1, and realised their mistake)

Football chugged along through the whole of WW2 with regional games, playing any Tom Dick or Harry who happened to be about.   Club's income was much reduced, but they only had to pay expenses of the players, and not wages.   All of the fit young men were either in the armed forces, or other reserved occupations.    Obviously there was the minor issue of when a bomb hit the ground, but I don't think too many clubs received "direct hits".    Old Trafford did I think.   You see, something good did happen!

But most importantly, clubs in 1939-40 weren't up to their eyeballs in millions of pounds worth of debts.   Today, they have astronomical outgoings that are a threat to their very existence, if something goes per shaped.

I think today that most of the 92 League clubs are potentially in a much worse position than they were at the start of WW2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

no fans in the ground when they win it will be a bit shit i'd imagine there wont be any open top bus tour for a while either. 

The only time they win it could also be the only time they can’t celebrate it. The most Liverpool thing to ever happen lol 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

Footballs been gone 1 month and people are comparing it to the 6 years it was missing due to WW2!? We have longer pre seasons than this!

Though I agree, I do think it’s important that football then and now are very different. For many it’s become their “religion” and life, plus truly global. Not sure it was quite like that 1939-1945

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

The effect of a global pandemic, is obviously very different to the apocalyptic 2nd World War.

But I would suggest that football today is in a much worse position that it was 80 years ago.

The 1939-40 season was only 3 games old, and abandoning it was a piece of cake.   They just scrapped it, and the decision probably took all of 5 minutes to make  (they had carried on with football in the first year of WW1, and realised their mistake)

Football chugged along through the whole of WW2 with regional games, playing any Tom Dick or Harry who happened to be about.   Club's income was much reduced, but they only had to pay expenses of the players, and not wages.   All of the fit young men were either in the armed forces, or other reserved occupations.    Obviously there was the minor issue of when a bomb hit the ground, but I don't think too many clubs received "direct hits".    Old Trafford did I think.   You see, something good did happen!

But most importantly, clubs in 1939-40 weren't up to their eyeballs in millions of pounds worth of debts.   Today, they have astronomical outgoings that are a threat to their very existence, if something goes per shaped.

I think today that most of the 92 League clubs are potentially in a much worse position than they were at the start of WW2.

Don't mention the war!!

The longer we have to wait for the season the least value it’s outcomes are going to have. If Liverpool came back, had terrible fittness and lost the title... their fans would always just blame the break and tbh that’s fair. 

Even I’m worried that we have an aging Jamie Vardy that we rely on so heavily for goals. What if we come back and his legs have gone?

I know these are things that are out of our control but even finishing this season has its flaws. 

Can see them playing behind closed doors over a 5 week period around end of may/June to try and restart the 20/21 season around August but thinking about it wouldn’t it Be a bit of a pi55er if Liverpool only pick up 3 points ( I know not possible but hey ? ) of their remaining games and Man City pick up maximum points in the run in when the league restarts again around June/July the Liverpool fans would be screaming conspiracy ??:ph34r:

Would they finish the season with just the league games and just make the FA cup void this season or would it still be possible to play the games out to the final, and how would they finish the champions League etc in such a mad mini season ?

Edited by justfoxes

Tbh even the logistics of doing games in June is looking ridiculous. Every staff member quarantined for 2 weeks prior to games, then kept in a hotel for the 5 weeks of it. If one person tests positive the whole house of cards collapses.

And you've got to have staff agree to not see their family for at least 7 weeks. You can say military people do that all the time but these aren't military people. They're caterers, kit men, physios all doing it to keep a league owned and run by billionaires happy.

Not sure I'd do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Tbh even the logistics of doing games in June is looking ridiculous. Every staff member quarantined for 2 weeks prior to games, then kept in a hotel for the 5 weeks of it. If one person tests positive the whole house of cards collapses.

And you've got to have staff agree to not see their family for at least 7 weeks. You can say military people do that all the time but these aren't military people. They're caterers, kit men, physios all doing it to keep a league owned and run by billionaires happy.

Not sure I'd do it. 

It depends on the availability of testing by then. It won't all collapse if testing is readily available (I appreciate that is a big if). If one player tests positive then the rest of the squad can be tested too to find out if it has spread, rather than having to quarantine the entire squad.

I think once schools are back and some non-essential shops reopen it won't seem so dangerous and alien to have these matches being played.

I think this season is long gone isn’t it?

As someone said above, I fully expect there to be a ban on large, organised social events (possibly there will be a limit imposed on numbers) until we are much nearer a vaccine for C19

All it would take is for a single person who was somehow still infectious to be at a large scale gig and off we’d go again....

43 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

As someone said above, I fully expect there to be a ban on large, organised social events (possibly there will be a limit imposed on numbers) until we are much nearer a vaccine for C19

All it would take is for a single person who was somehow still infectious to be at a large scale gig and off we’d go again....

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/14/concerts-festivals-wont-back-autumn-2021-according-healthcare-expert-12554211/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR16CYAK1yc0SMjDiGHIfHNO0ra0ig6_dhfpk--s5QDNwOSeCE9CLUN-r8E 

Off to go and rock in a corner somewhere 

53 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Season in terms of live fans is long gone for me. No way they'll risk cramming 30,40,50K people in a ground after several months of lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Season in terms of live fans is long gone for me. No way they'll risk cramming 30,40,50K people in a ground after several months of lockdown. 

Definitely. I was more commenting on the article that says no gathering for events until Autumn 2021. That is just so so far away. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Not really .... if the twenty club’s playing/coaching/medical staff and  game officials are kept isolated for the whole period then any infection from the outside should not be possible. With daily testing, any unexpected positive result should be controllable as tracing is clear.  If the whole things falls apart after a few games because squads become affected then at least we’ve tried.   By June, this should look a bit different. And there is a huge difference with mass gatherings where people are coming from all different places with the proposed behind closed doors finishing of the season. 

Thinking about how the rest of the season could be structured, I imagine they will look to do it as follows

1 game fri night 

4 games Saturday 12:15. 3:00. 17:30. 20:00

same again sunday

1 game Monday night 

then games tues/wed/thurs 

clubs will play every three days

there will have to be a couple free midweeks for European fixtures to be played 

it’s possible that they may attempt to squeeze in the fa cup quarters ahead of the PL restart (When most clubs will be playing friendlies against local league opponents) and then the final when it’s all done later in July.  Obvs need to find a date for the semis but if everyone is playing every three days then they’ll manage with the season lingering on to the end of July to get cup finals played across European comps (and possibly beg August)

all the above predicated on there being sufficient testing available for all those people included to be tested ahead of fixtures.