Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

On 27/04/2020 at 09:22, Tom12345 said:

Not sure why there needs to be a rush to resume playing. This season should continue when feasible and be played out in its entirety. This way, no club is unfairly treated. It would be harsh if Liverpool does not get to lift the EPL trophy and we do not get into the CL. Then shorten or change the format the next season to suit the circumstances: at least then all teams will be going into the season playing under a commonly agreed set of rules upfront. 

One issue on this is time, the rush will come from Uefa, they'll want next season to happen, most likely with European competitions, all needing to finish in time for the delayed Euro 2020 tournament. 

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't know why announcements are being made like that french one. This is a fluid situation and there's going to be a lot of breakthroughs and advancements on a weekly basis. Maybe they just fancy a break.

French government banned all sporting events until September. They had the decision taken out of their hands.

Considering 3 options for deciding the final league table apparently - points per game, table as of the last completed gameweek and table at the halfway stage i.e. results from the 19 first fixtures against each side.

Cant remember what our table was for option 3 but pretty sure we're top 4 for all 3 so they can use any of those 3 methods for the PL as far as I'm concerned. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MattP said:

French league now cancelled.

Champions League seems impossible to finish now with PSG still in it.

They’d have to play their home game at a neutral venue. Just says no sporting events in France. 

Guest MattP
46 minutes ago, Bert said:

They’d have to play their home game at a neutral venue. Just says no sporting events in France. 

I can't envisage a scenario where a team is travelling to a different country to play a one off CL match, it just doesn't seem realistic.

France won't be the last either, Spain surely cancels and as much as we are going to try I don't see how we'll manage to get through a six week period with players/staff/coaches effectively operating outside the normal World.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I don't know why announcements are being made like that french one. This is a fluid situation and there's going to be a lot of breakthroughs and advancements on a weekly basis. Maybe they just fancy a break.

No sport allowed until September - and even if it was allowed, I can see why the decision has been made because it puts an end to the uncertainty.

Champions League has got finishing in Abu Dhabi or Dubai all over it, if that could be possible. In a 2/3 week mini tournament. 

It will be interesting to see what the French do with their promotion and relegation, as that is the major issue here.

The longer it goes on the more I'm thinking it would be best to end the season as it is with no promotion and relegation and start afresh if we can in August. European qualification by current standings ideally :D

Yes it's shit for the teams in promotion positions and extremely lucky for those currently in relegation places but shit happens. Clubs need to know where they stand. Ok so we finish the league in June or July, any promoted clubs as maybe a month or two max to prepare for a new league. 

Liverpool can have their title if they like but whatever happens it still won't be the same as winning it properly.

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I respect people remaining optimistic about the Premiership restarting, but I just can’t see it tbh. Eredivisie, La Liga, Belgian First Division A....all cancelled

I think we’ll follow suit personally.

SO hope I’m wrong though 

I think you're absolutely right.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Considering 3 options for deciding the final league table apparently - points per game, table as of the last completed gameweek and table at the halfway stage i.e. results from the 19 first fixtures against each side.

Cant remember what our table was for option 3 but pretty sure we're top 4 for all 3 so they can use any of those 3 methods for the PL as far as I'm concerned. 

Yeah I think we qualify for CL regardless, due to the UEFA guidance, even if promotion / relegation is voided.  Only way we don't make it is if the rest of the season gets played behind closed doors and we bottle it. Or if CL gets cancelled. 

It will be really unfortunate though if Vards gets robbed of his best chance at a Golden Boot yet. Even if there's a big asterisk next to the trophy. Have they said what might happen with that? 

FIFA's medical  team have had their say about the risk but I am sure all the clubs and countries are aware of them.

action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Be all down to money really.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I respect people remaining optimistic about the Premiership restarting, but I just can’t see it tbh. Eredivisie, La Liga, Belgian First Division A....all cancelled

SO hope I’m wrong though 

I don’t think La Liga has been cancelled (yet)? 

I’m still in the optimistic camp, for two reasons mainly.

Firstly the reliance on TV income makes it very difficult for PL clubs not to finish the season on a financial level.

And secondly - unlike e.g. France where the league was effectively cancelled by the government, our government seems to be supportive of the plan to resume in June (circumstances permitting).

That said there will obviously be lots of challenges. Namely whether the whole thing falls apart if a player/coach gets it.

2 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

No sport allowed until September - and even if it was allowed, I can see why the decision has been made because it puts an end to the uncertainty.

the point for french clubs is that because the govt have cancelled the option to play pre September, the clubs are not responsible and I believe that the Tv companies cannot withhold payments 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Champions League has got finishing in Abu Dhabi or Dubai all over it, if that could be possible. In a 2/3 week mini tournament. 

You think that playing the champions league out in the desert in june/July or August  works ? 

if they move it to a neutral country, I suspect could be a Scandinavian country where there has been no bad CV problem. Perhaps Denmark?

With the massive TV rights that the Premier League have with BT and Sky, any season cancellation could prove catastrophic - unless these companies are willing to cancel their deals with the league (which seems rather unlikely imo, considering the potential financial implications if it is to happen).

Edited by Wymsey

3 hours ago, MattP said:

I can't envisage a scenario where a team is travelling to a different country to play a one off CL match, it just doesn't seem realistic.

France won't be the last either, Spain surely cancels and as much as we are going to try I don't see how we'll manage to get through a six week period with players/staff/coaches effectively operating outside the normal World.

It’ll be that or they’ll get booted from the tournament I’m sure. 

• Like 1

How about this, use points per game. If a team is within 3 points of the team above them and something is at stake, a one off game between those teams behind closed doors. For promotion, the team in 3rd gets promoted.  That way it can be done right, no cramming it in, no worry about all the clubs quarantining.  You get just the clubs necessary to issolate players and management for 2 weeks in a monitored environment.... then they see only each other and train for a few weeks before 1 game. 

This could be done imo although a little complicated 

chelsea-48

Man u- 45

Shef u 44 ppg

Wolves 43 

Wolves - chelsea

Man U - Shef u   

Could come down to goal difference if chelsea loose, but at least theyve had a chance to play for it. 

Relegation would be interesting (Brighton given a pass)

West Ham 27

Watford 27 

Bournemouth 27 

Villa 25- 

West ham- Villa

Watford- B-mouth 

Championship- Leeds, Westbrom & Fulham all promoted

Relegation- 

Stoke- Charlton

Huddersfield - Hull 

Middlesborough- Wigan 

League 1  

promotion  (sunderland out of it based on points per game)

Rotherham-Wycombe 

Oxford-Peterborough 

Portsmouth- Fleetwood 

Relegation 

Wimbledon- Tranmere

League 2- No games needed. 

Swindon champions based on PPG 

I know its crazy and you can argue why this is unfair, but this situation is always going to be unfair one way or another. This way everyone gets that one last chance to salvage something... they all get their cup finals.... Lets face it... it would so exciting to watch those games. Picture this, Villa beating West Ham...  Bournemouth 1-0 up, its 90 minutes on the clock but the 4th official has just put up the board for 6 minutes injury time. Pearson has one last throw of the dice, brings on Deeney. Its all over in London,, villa have won. 

96 minute.... then DEEEEEEEENEYYYYYYYYY. Pearson banishes the playoff deamons..... a point means both Villa and west ham are relegated!!!!!!!! Oh my word, that is the dream situation. 

Edited by Lambert09

54 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

How about this, use points per game. If a team is within 3 points of the team above them and something is at stake, a one off game between those teams behind closed doors. For promotion, the team in 3rd gets promoted.  That way it can be done right, no cramming it in, no worry about all the clubs quarantining.  You get just the clubs necessary to issolate players and management for 2 weeks in a monitored environment.... then they see only each other and train for a few weeks before 1 game. 

This could be done imo although a little complicated 

chelsea-48

Man u- 45

Shef u 44 ppg

Wolves 43 

Wolves - chelsea

Man U - Shef u   

Could come down to goal difference if chelsea loose, but at least theyve had a chance to play for it. 

Relegation would be interesting (Brighton given a pass)

West Ham 27

Watford 27 

Bournemouth 27 

Villa 25- 

West ham- Villa

Watford- B-mouth 

Championship- Leeds, Westbrom & Fulham all promoted

Relegation- 

Stoke- Charlton

Huddersfield - Hull 

Middlesborough- Wigan 

League 1  

promotion  (sunderland out of it based on points per game)

Rotherham-Wycombe 

Oxford-Peterborough 

Portsmouth- Fleetwood 

Relegation 

Wimbledon- Tranmere

League 2- No games needed. 

Swindon champions based on PPG 

I know its crazy and you can argue why this is unfair, but this situation is always going to be unfair one way or another. This way everyone gets that one last chance to salvage something... they all get their cup finals.... Lets face it... it would so exciting to watch those games. Picture this, Villa beating West Ham...  Bournemouth 1-0 up, its 90 minutes on the clock but the 4th official has just put up the board for 6 minutes injury time. Pearson has one last throw of the dice, brings on Deeney. Its all over in London,, villa have won. 

96 minute.... then DEEEEEEEENEYYYYYYYYY. Pearson banishes the playoff deamons..... a point means both Villa and west ham are relegated!!!!!!!! Oh my word, that is the dream situation. 

Do you think it is right to promote teams who are only in play-off positions?

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

SO hope I’m wrong though 

but you LOVE being right. so win win for you.