Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

31 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Look at his position history instead of making these assumptions.

He played LWB more times than he did RWB in the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons.

He clearly is a player who is comfortable playing both sides, for one of the most underrated teams in European Football.

He's a utility cover player, at best, having played equally on both the left and right.

I'll reiterate my original point. If he comes in as versatile cover for sub £15m, great, that could be vital. If he comes in as our first choice LB, we should, I feel, be doing better.

Of course that's just my opinion, so it's wrong. 

Screenshot_2020-08-31-10-56-56-63.jpg

54 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can see us moving permanently to the 3 at the back with this signing (although I do think we would need to sign another CB) and him playing at Left Wing Back

Jonny at Wolves is right footed and does very well in the left wing back position

If we do go for this system change then signing a winger probably becomes a lesser priority compared to an actual forward who can play with/off Vardy

Wolves do have a few left footed defenders and midfielders in the team though to provide balance. We need a left footed centre half, Malang Sarr would have been ideal.

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If we’re trying to replace Chilwell with someone who isn’t even a natural left back then the club is well and truly ****ed. I don’t get the logic I’d rather have someone who actually plays the position even if it’s Danny Rose

So we shouldn't have signed Maddison to play no.8 when he'd never played there before signing for us? Or we shouldn't have signed Albrighton to play on the left when he'd played his entire Villa career in the right?

There are a set of attributes required to play full-back, if the recruitment team feel he's got all of them then what's the problem?

6 minutes ago, jaqo88 said:

Based on what I’ve heard this would appear to be a very astute signing.

People complaining about not going for an out and out left back forget we have Thomas who in his games so far (albeit small sample size) suggests HUGE potential that will hopefully allow us to transition him into the team over the next year or 2.

Why fork out a lot of funds on a LB in his prime you could be stuck with on high wages for years when you can add versatility to the squad and maintain a wealth of options. It allows Thomas some breathing room to grow and ideally become our next Chilwell. Technically we’d have 4 choices in this position (Castagne, Thomas, Justin, Fuchs) which should be more than enough?

Less funds spent which can free up room for a higher profile winger/forward

That last point is a good one. 

If the money saved going for a Castagne over a Tagliafico means we can put funds to use elsewhere, it might be a shrewd move (as long as Castagne proves to be good enough). 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

So we shouldn't have signed Maddison to play no.8 when he'd never played there before signing for us? Or we shouldn't have signed Albrighton to play on the left when he'd played his entire Villa career in the right?

There are a set of attributes required to play full-back, if the recruitment team feel he's got all of them then what's the problem?

The problem is we have just sold at top left back and we are planning to replace him with a right back who can play left back. This right back also isn’t exactly crucial to Atalanta seeming he doesn’t even play every game. 

IF we are signing him as a utility player and also signing a left back then it’s a decent signing. IF we are signing him as a Chilwell replacement it’s a shocking piece of business. Would prefer to play Thomas.

8 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

IF we sign this guy, I’m pretty sure the initial plan will be to play him in his preferred right back position, put JJ on the left back role.  When Riccy is back (in a couple of months), we’ll evaluate where we’re at, and judge who is best to play at LB, where we’ll have good options of Tim, Fuchs, Thomas and JJ. Simples. No need to bring formation into the chat.

Yup, takes the pressure off Ricky P rushing back too, which I'm all for. Would rather we waited until he was 100% ready so he can hot the ground running on his return.

If we had any real faith in Thomas and he would have been in our plans, we would have let Fuchs go..Thomas will go out on loan goal a year at least.

Thomas did well when put in at the deep end but also cost us in some situations.. I think many of us forget this with him being home grown.. And us wanting to unearth another gem..

Just now, peach0000 said:

The problem is we have just sold at top left back and we are planning to replace him with a right back who can play left back. This right back also isn’t exactly crucial to Atalanta seeming he doesn’t even play every game. 

IF we are signing him as a utility player and also signing a left back then it’s a decent signing. IF we are signing him as a Chilwell replacement it’s a shocking piece of business. Would prefer to play Thomas.

How anyone can call signing a perfectly steady player a 'shocking piece of business' for a third of the price of the one we've sold is quite staggering.

• Thanks 1

Difficult one to assess but it does feel like LB isn’t his best position. I agree with the view that he’s been bought as a player who can play well in a number of positions and gives us flexibility to change the way we play without have to make too many substitutions. The fact we have Luke Thomas waiting in the wings makes this good enough business if true. 

• Like 1

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

How anyone can call signing a perfectly steady player a 'shocking piece of business' for a third of the price of the one we've sold is quite staggering.

He’s not at all what is needed that’s why. As I have said before if he has been signed as a utility player to cover then fine. If he has been signed to replace Chilwell, he’s simply not capable of doing that so it’s just money down the drain and as a team we’ll suffer massively for it. Would be a shocking piece of business.

10 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

He's a utility cover player, at best, having played equally on both the left and right.

I'll reiterate my original point. If he comes in as versatile cover for sub £15m, great, that could be vital. If he comes in as our first choice LB, we should, I feel, be doing better.

Of course that's just my opinion, so it's wrong. 

Screenshot_2020-08-31-10-56-56-63.jpg

I’ve posted his position history on the last few pages.

He clearly is a player who is comfortable playing both sides, he played more on the left especially in the 18/19 season, where he kept Gosens out of the team for a good chunk of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If we’re trying to replace Chilwell with someone who isn’t even a natural left back then the club is well and truly ****ed. I don’t get the logic I’d rather have someone who actually plays the position even if it’s Danny Rose

He’s played equally as many games on the left as on the right. When we sign players we don’t just go on the hunt for players who fit one position, in fact there actually isn’t that many of these types of players around, mainly players with preferred positions. If the player fits the profile and has the skill set the manager wants, then we will sign them. 

Brendan loves to play with flexible players, he always has, you’re talking about a manager who learnt his trade under Jose, and often refers to Pep as being one of his inspirations. 

The lad can comfortably play LB or LWB so I don’t really see what the issue is? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

He’s played equally as many games on the left as on the right. When we sign players we don’t just go on the hunt for players who fit one position, in fact there actually isn’t that many of these types of players around, mainly players with preferred positions. If the player fits the profile and has the skill set the manager wants, then we will sign them. 

Brendan loves to play with flexible players, he always has, you’re talking about a manager who learnt his trade under Jose, and often refers to Pep as being one of his inspirations. 

But has been playing LM/RM /Bench for the last 2 years 

• Like 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

He’s a utility player who is a right back who can also cover other positions. As I’ve said before that kind of player is fine just not as a replacement for Chilwell. We don’t need someone who can ‘comfortably play lb or lwb’ we need someone who is a lb/lwb and has been playing that position week in week out for years and is very good at it.

• Like 1