Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

That's not the point.  Even if he's equal to Chilwell (and he could be) it still doesn't improve the side, it just keeps you from backsliding.

That’s fine though if you can get someone who is as good as Chilwell in for less than half the price you sold him for you can then use the rest of the money to improve other areas of the team that need improving more.

2 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Exceptions prove rules. Although, I don't see being able to play in all wide positions as massively versatile anyway really. Most modern fullbacks have some basic skill sets needed to be competent wingers at least.

It’s not a rule it’s a fabrication, most players get played in their best positions these days and with the money in football usually there is someone more talented in their natural position waiting in the wings than it’s worth rejigging and using someone out of position.

It doesn’t mean they are incapable of playing effectively in multiple positions.

Gray right and left, Barnes right, left and centre. Albrighton right and left. Justin right and left. Fuchs left and centre.
And that’s just off the top of my head in our squad.

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

I've always considered the Premier League like Formula 1, it's the tiny differences that ultimately make you successful or not. A Championship player who looks like a world beater might be half a yard short of pace meaning that they'll never make it in the Premier League. 

Each position probably has many variables clubs look at and I'd imagine it will be fine margins between between making it and being a flop, especially when coming from other countries with no experience/history of the league. 

The point I'm making is that I don't think you can have utility men in the Premier League, I mean how many can you think of in our team? How many are there in the Premier League as a whole? People are talking like we're going to sign this player that'll be like a Swiss Army knife, maybe you can get players like that in the lower leagues but not in the Premier League IMO. 

Fernandinho, Azpilicueta, Milner, Jonny, Dier, Maitland-Niles, Bukayo Saka and probably some others i'm forgetting. Reece James/TAA will probably end up as midfielders at some point & Chelsea want to convert Declan Rice to CB.

Edit: Also Dendoncker, Ward-Prowse, Foden & Bernando Silva

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lad1966 said:

Surely, if this guy is two footed, in attacking positions he’s going to be more effective in his final delivery. The most frustrating thing about Chilwell was when he got into good attacking position he couldn’t use his right foot and this slowed many promising attack down!

No idea if he is two footed, I know nothing about him, but if he is, this could be a very good point. :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Does make me wonder who has been the most damned before they have signed, but eventually gone on to be a success?

Vardy I am guessing but he took a while I suppose

Ricardo was lambasted after we signed him after a below par performance in a World Cup match, and was also slagged off for a few bad performances early in his career here too. 

But yeah no one can beat Vardy. I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed when we signed him and never in a month of Sunday’s would I imagine he’d go on to be our best ever player!

Izzet was also rubbished before he signed for us as was Kante. Mahrez we were excited for but no one thought he’d be that good!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Babylon said:

So which of Maddison, Vardy, Wilf was he ahead of exactly?

He was our fourth best defender and he can’t cross. Yeah we miss his energy and ability to gain ground, but there is little else we miss when he isn’t there.

I honestly don’t know on what planet anyone could come to the conclusion Chilwell is in our top three most important players.

I've already explained my opinion in this thread on this but I'll do it again for you. My thoughts are from watching us for the last season and a half is that our full backs (Ricardo and Chilwell) were crucial for how we played. They pushed us up the pitch, gave us an out ball and provided energy. My point is that I think they along with Vardy were our most important players for this reason. That's not to say that I think he is one of our best three (I don't) but I feel that we need to get his replacement right in order not to seriously regress as a team.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So which of Maddison, Vardy, Wilf was he ahead of exactly?

He was our fourth best defender and he can’t cross. Yeah we miss his energy and ability to gain ground, but there is little else we miss when he isn’t there.

I honestly don’t know on what planet anyone could come to the conclusion Chilwell is in our top three most important players.

He wasn’t simply put.

He was a decent young fullback and not much more. If he consistently played how he can at the very best we’ve seen him, I still wouldn’t put him in our top 3, or anywhere close really.

22 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Similarly, I assume you watch alot of Portuguese and Dutch football to come to the conclusion that they are "Garbage leagues"?. 

Glass houses buddy. 

Well; I do actually but that's not the point here.

I'm also not the one judging the players before they've even put on the shirt. 

• Like 1

Chilwell was neither world class or  crap. He was a competent/good left back. The 50 million fee did not reflect his ability (£20 mill British add-on).

In regards to Castagne, he’s seems a solid, safe option. I think in the current climate, this is sensible. It’s not the time to take risky punt. I think this will be the story with all our possible transfers this season. 

• Like 1