Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Maddison can play lw, perez can play rw, choudhury can play as an 8, just because a player can play in a position doesnt mean theyre suited to it and castagne isnt suited to playing lb. Imagine we signed maitland niles to play lb theyre very similar players.

Assume you've frequently watched him play in both LB and RB positions over the past 2 seasons, and not simply decided he's crap based on his right foot and a glance at stats?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Maddison can play lw, perez can play rw, choudhury can play as an 8, just because a player can play in a position doesnt mean theyre suited to it and castagne isnt suited to playing lb. Imagine we signed maitland niles to play lb theyre very similar players.

How do you know it's not his preferred position? And that's why he is keen on moving? 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Assume you've frequently watched him play in both LB and RB positions over the past 2 seasons, and not simply decided he's crap based on his right foot and a glance at stats?

A3912B90-A00A-40AB-A183-BAECDCFDBE71.jpeg.d6abdb4a1e946e431c4bcd605aee3978.jpeg

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Thats the thing, he's never played lb, only lwb, rwb, and rb. Also yes im not a fan of right footed left backs, you favoured foot is a very important attribute for fullbacks, which is why almost every left back is left footed. 

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 09:41, StriderHiryu said:

Castagane is absolutely superb. He has had a stand out 2 seasons for Atalanta and was impressive in the friendly against us. He's predominantly a right back, but can also play left back too. IMO had we lost Ricardo, he would have been the perfect replacement, though as a replacement for Chilwell I am not so sure as I don't think he is naturally left footed.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/141169/Show/Timothy-Castagne

Anyone from Atalanta would be a great signing. They play quite a similar style to us and under Gasperini have shown that with the right coaching, even a smaller / underrated team can produce on the biggest stage of them all. Rosens their left back I think would be a more realistic signing for us given the Chilwell / Fuchs situation, but players like Pasalic, Zapata, Muriel would all be good pickups. Ilicic and Papu Gomez are their star turns of course, but both are the wrong side of 30, even if I think both are truly super footballers.

Overall though Castagne I think would be a brilliant signing for any Premier League team. Reliable, flexible, speaks English and still quite young.

Fantastic highlights reel though maybe should be 75% shorter as it's mainly him not putting the ball in the net...

I'm not as excited at him as most to be honest - I see him as a brilliant utility acquisition but not really a first choice first team quality starter - hoped to be proved wrong maybe he'll make the left back spot his own over Thomas taking some pressure off, but I imagine him more to be a sub like Praet is used in the PL and more heavily in Cups and early UEFA rounds.

One good thing is that he looks more creative than what we have and that's a must for us right now.

• Like 1

Just my uneducated gut feeling, but feels like a Praet type signing. Good player, fairly versatile, but unlikely to hugely improve our regular starting XI. Hope I'm wrong though, and his ability to play lwft and right back could prove very vital long term.

1 minute ago, Fuch Me Moore said:

Decent if true, but have we got any decent evidence he’s actually coming? 

Kristof is as about as reliable as you can get with Belgians, he was the go to for the Tielemans deal last summer

27 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

This is the left back equivalent of rodgers starting the season with maddison left wing, perez right wing and choudhury as an 8. He seems to have an obsession of playing players out of their natural position.

He hasn’t even played him yet, can we judge the player on his performances instead of assuming everything is going to fail?

With this potential signing, it's important to put things into context. We've sold our first choice left-back, but we have a young player who has made his debut and who looked better than our departing left back did at the same age. So that gives us a few options we could go for:

- Sign a big name replacement for Chilwell that is at their peak and improves the starting lineup right away, e.g. Tagliafico.

- Sign a big name replacement for almost the same amount of money as Chilwell that could be a better player e.g. Gosens. (Gosens is 25 I believe)

- Start Luke Thomas and sign a proven player that can cover for him and / or play other positions if needed e.g. Castagne.

All three options have their pros and cons. It looks like we are going for the third option which if being honest seems like the most "Leicester" signing post 2016 of buying younger players and developing them. For me if we get Castagne the next question is what happens to Thomas. If we loan him out and play Castagne as first choice left back, then I think we've made out team weaker because Chilwell though inconsistent could be great on his day. But if we are keeping Thomas to get him game time with him and Castagne (and Fuchs!) playing left back, then I think that will have an overall net benefit for the team.

Castagne is also very versatile. He's a bit like Phil Neville in that he can play quite a few positions but he's genuinely a good player. I've seen him play LWB and RWB for Atalanta and he was good in both positions. Gosens is a cut above Castagne, but he's a good player no doubt about it, and the sort of player that definitely improves the squad and possibly even the first team. He is very consistent.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

On 26/03/2020 at 15:26, Eden De Bruyne said:

According to the Belgian magazine Sport/Voetbal Magazine, Leicester sees Timothy Castagne (24 yo, Atalanta) as the perfect replacement for Ricardo Pereira, should he leave.

Imo this is an excellent player. Just like Dennis Praet he's a bit underrated. His main position is Right Back, but in Atalanta he always plays Left Back and Left Midfield. I've also seen him play great games as a Right Midfield, as a Centre Back and as a Central Defensive Midfielder. He's the most versatile footballer I know and the first one i would select for a World Cup or European Cup in the Belgian team. I think he is highly recommandable. His defending is a little bit better than his attacking skills. If you can get him under 20M, it's a bargain.

1st post in this thread, which seems to sum him up quite well, opinion of someone who knows him better than most on here. Versatility is the key here, but he can play left back very well!

7 minutes ago, sdb said:

Just my uneducated gut feeling, but feels like a Praet type signing. Good player, fairly versatile, but unlikely to hugely improve our regular starting XI. Hope I'm wrong though, and his ability to play lwft and right back could prove very vital long term.

I think that's an astute assessment of the player. But it's not necessarily a bad thing because we have a lot more games this season and from December to February we play 3 times a week. The squad is going to get wafer thin very quickly. I know we all want to see one or two players that improve the first team (e.g. a Mahrez replacement), but we for sure need a player like this one too.

I like Praet but recognise there is a lot of room for improvement. He's only had one season in the Premier League though and it was a pretty bonkers one with Coronavirus! So I think he can be cut some slack and think that in Europe especially he will be very useful. Castagne will also be valuable for European football too I think.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Atalanta play a similar style to us ??? Really... they play attacking free flowing football with plenty of movement... Interchanging of positions..

We like to go sideways...don’t we ?

I think the quote was from last year, when we were decent 😬👀

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Has played with Tielemans and Praet for Belgium - and was at Genk at the same time as Ndidi. Might be helpful... 

Was about to post that. Broke into the Genk side around the same time as Wilf. That and playing with Youri and Dennis would definitely help settle him in.

• Thanks 1