Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

4 minutes ago, GDesign_JRC said:

Castagne was on 19.000€ per week at Atalanta, he will double that at least IMO

The transfer fee usually has a say in the salary. 

He'd be a band c salary, behind then As of Vardy and Maddison and the B's of Schmeichel and Evans and Tielemans. 

I'd guess 60k a week with Praet, Ricardo and Perez

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK, here goes.

Ben Chilwell cannot defend very well, going forward he wasted so many dangerous openings and his crossing, shooting and passing felt like a lottery. A lot of fans were happier when Fuchs, Justin or Thomas played instead of him. Barnes had some of his best games on the left when Chilwell didn't play.

We have James Justin who fans think is unique in that he plays better on the left, like a young Andrea's Brehme. The cameo vs Watford at home where he got an assist and his performance vs Villa at home where he and Barnes ripped them apart further supports this notion. 

Luke Thomas is viewed by the club as being a bigger prospect than Ben Chilwell, his end product going forward seems to support that too. Provided a number of accurate passes and crosses, gets his head up and his technique seems to be solid and in control of all faculties, unlike Chilwell.

Timothy Castagne is one of the most versatile full backs and wing backs out there, his stats show he's played over 50 games on the left out of about 130 odd and his goals and assists from both left and right look impressive, he is also renown for being a better defender than attacker so that is also impressive in itself. With Ricardo looking increasingly likely to go in to next summer with just 2 years left on his deal aged 27, its a real possibility that he is sold unfortunately. £50-70m for a 27 year old next summer will be good business, but none of us want him to go. However, if he does and we have Castagne and Justin already here then it's one less immediate concern.

I think this is going to be a transition in to a new style of play and Castagne has a CV to back up being able to come in and help us do that. I don't see him being a jack of all trades but more of a player who will be an important cog in navigating 50-60 games next season and flexible enough for us to play the way we want to play week in, week out.

This isn't a panic signing either, we were linked pre Rodgers and Congerton and they both wanted him at Celtic so its a target the whole club are happy with and that reassures me as well.

Welcome Chestnut! Got a feeling he will do well, like his style of play.

That’s all well and good Ric, but does Andrea even know we have her Brehme?

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamfox said:

accountability has to part of the process to build for the future , we are not Burnley we can and do spend but thinking we just spend spend spend like man city without a care in the world is naive.  things can go wrong and clubs can get into deep trouble financially 

Things can also go wrong if you don't invest enough into your team.

Just now, UHDrive said:

Indeed, but being extreme in either case is a recipe for disaster, so shrewd judgement is needed to strike the right balance

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

We've discussed this previously and I personally doubt that, I'll be surprised if Rodgers doesn't always lean back 4321/4141, I think it's our default and that he's very much a manager determined to make a specific vision work. He's a disciple of total football and playing "the right way." 

There's a reason guys like Pep and Co admire Bielsa and Gasperini but never really copy them, cavalier is fun but not pragmatic and I definitely think there's a fair bit of pragmatism in Rodgers approach. 

That said, I agree with more or less everything else you've posted. I definitely like the look of Castagne, I think he'll do a solid job and will be better defensively than Chilwell. It's probably an upgrade. 

I don't want to give the impression I'm specifically unhappy with this transfer, I just don't feel as scathing about the panickers as some others do on here. I understand the concern, as I think you do as well. 

Played 3-4-1-2 at Liverpool did he not?

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He's not left a CL club and signed for £20m with 10 months of his contract left to get paid £25k a week.

It is naive to think otherwise, IMO of course.

His deal was up in 2022? I keep reading he had less than a year left but cannot find any official evidence of that.

27 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How do you know the club view him as a bigger prospect than Chilwell? 

Also if Thomas is anything other than perfection he'll be getting the same treatment from our fans as Chilwell has, it's just what we like to do to young players unfortunately. 

Those in the know have said as much

37 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The only difference between his and Albrighton's stats this season was Castagne managed a goal, other than that they both got 3 assists, Castagne had twice as much game time too. I'm only mentioning it because Rodgers states we need goals from more areas but as of yet we've done nothing to correct that.

Castagne is a defender. Albrighton is a winger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK, here goes.

Ben Chilwell cannot defend very well, going forward he wasted so many dangerous openings and his crossing, shooting and passing felt like a lottery. A lot of fans were happier when Fuchs, Justin or Thomas played instead of him. Barnes had some of his best games on the left when Chilwell didn't play.

We have James Justin who fans think is unique in that he plays better on the left, like a young Andrea's Brehme. The cameo vs Watford at home where he got an assist and his performance vs Villa at home where he and Barnes ripped them apart further supports this notion. 

Luke Thomas is viewed by the club as being a bigger prospect than Ben Chilwell, his end product going forward seems to support that too. Provided a number of accurate passes and crosses, gets his head up and his technique seems to be solid and in control of all faculties, unlike Chilwell.

Timothy Castagne is one of the most versatile full backs and wing backs out there, his stats show he's played over 50 games on the left out of about 130 odd and his goals and assists from both left and right look impressive, he is also renown for being a better defender than attacker so that is also impressive in itself. With Ricardo looking increasingly likely to go in to next summer with just 2 years left on his deal aged 27, its a real possibility that he is sold unfortunately. £50-70m for a 27 year old next summer will be good business, but none of us want him to go. However, if he does and we have Castagne and Justin already here then it's one less immediate concern.

I think this is going to be a transition in to a new style of play and Castagne has a CV to back up being able to come in and help us do that. I don't see him being a jack of all trades but more of a player who will be an important cog in navigating 50-60 games next season and flexible enough for us to play the way we want to play week in, week out.

This isn't a panic signing either, we were linked pre Rodgers and Congerton and they both wanted him at Celtic so its a target the whole club are happy with and that reassures me as well.

If Luke Thomas turns out to be as good as we hope getting a specific left back might not be the best way to strengthen our team and squad. If we are preparing Benkovic for CB which I think is about the right time to find out if he's good enough or not we could end up with 3 decent CB's for next season which still means we need another so Castagne could prove to be extremely valuable to us especially when you consider we have Justin who seems good at left or right.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK, here goes.

But apart from that, what has Castagne ever done for us?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Let's hope Tim, Youri and Dennis aren't tempted to talk amongst themselves in their native language..

I can hear Brendan shouting....

LANGUAGE TIMOTHY!!!!

Just going on their names I'd guess Tielemans and Praet's native language is flemish whilst Castagne's is French :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Note the long wait for the announcement, not sure why, but it’s classic Leicester 

I think in this case we can give some leeway as he's not exactly with the club or at the stadium to do some promo shoots etc!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Yes that's undoubtedly true , it's a bit of a balancing job surely?  you have to spend smart , we need to do good business and give due consideration to how we invest.  but yes we need to invest to go anywhere in the EPL i agree 100%

• Like 1

Just now, UHDrive said:

I think people are over egging Luke Thomas. He's shown he has quality with great ball to feet play and tactically sound. He's also made a few mistakes too. I don't think he's ready for the high profile games yet this year but undoubtedly should be in the squad. I certainly wouldn't loan him out.

Hell learn more having a full season in the championship than having 5 or 6 Cup games with us.