Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

25K a week for 5 years by the way is a pretty decent deal for us. Let's say we got Tagliaifco (who knows we might still), he'd probably be on 60-80k a week instead. As we've found out with Adrien Silva and Slimani, if a player on high wages doesn't work out, it can create a big problem in terms of shifting them on. 

That said Tagliafico I think is a top class player, but regardless I think Castagne is a good signing, and I think he would have been a good addition even if we didn't sell Chilwell. We need cover and strength in depth, and I think Castagne is good as either a starter or rotation option. Having players competing for places is a good place to be as a club.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

If he's on that reported £25k/week, our base financial position has changed by a grand £3m over 5 years.

Well obviously the full financial impact needs to be looked at , if that's you point fair enough.  my point is financial accountability is really important because clubs who spend smart have a better chance of success in the future. unless your owned by Sheikh fatwad

Edited by jamfox

13 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The point here is that if you can go from Chilwell to Castagne without losing much if anything and bank 35 million in the process, you can spend that 35 million on someone who will improve the starting 11.

This is my opinion as well. But that does assume that Congerton/Rudkin will spend the remaining 35 million of a player/players that will actually improve us, and that's not guaranteed by a long way. 

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Why are we sure he's on £25k a week? This feels like someone has seen the headline transfer fee and got mixed up. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Someone posted it saying he was going to be on €1.5m per year.

Veracity is up for debate, of course.

Edited by Beechey

So is everyone here expecting Ricardo to rock up the first game and be our star right back again from day one? 

Because he won't. 

With this signing we now have a solid RB who is also good at LB when needed for cover. 

We also have an up and coming LB who is also good at RB in JJ.

We then have a RB recovering from a major injury who will need game time but will not be playing 90 minutes for a while. 

And a young LB who also needs game time but won't be playing every game. 

With what we have, we have Castagne as first choice RB, and JJ as first choice LB.

When Ricardo is 100%, he becomes first choice RB again, and then we have competition for LB and proper cover for RB if needed. And Thomas can be loaned out in January. 

That's not a bad position to be in, and quite a decent solution to the multiple problems with our full backs.

Now it's also possible that we can still target another LB from those rumoured to be holding firm on £40m and hope they drop their price now, with no pressure to buy, and loan Thomas out now. But that is no longer needed and might be overkill.

Edited by Verumex
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Why are we sure he's on £25k a week? This feels like someone has seen the headline transfer fee and got mixed up. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Don’t know what the source is, but apparently he agreed 1.5m/yr personal terms with Napoli last year, but the deal fell through on the clubs end.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-napoli-accordo-castagne-atalanta

Edited by brucey

This feels like an Albrighton replacement, hard working versatile, poor attacking stats but popular player as he gives his all. No other interest apart from Hertha Berlin. I hope we've got someone else lined up because Chilwell as poor as he's been this season did help us in an attacking sense with surging runs forward.

I'm disturbed by the plan to move to three at the back though.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

OK.

It seems the majority are pleased with this acquisition.  I am a little underwhelmed but I don't suggest for a minute that he is a bad player or lacking in quality.  As I say, I am hard to please.  I would just like to add, directed more at some others, that different opinions are permitted.

I agree with you that we should get behind our new signings, the treatment that Ghezzal received was shameful and having said my piece, I will move on, hoping to be proven wrong,

Exactly how I feel, there are plenty of people on here who expect us to challenge the elite clubs. I'm certainly not one of them but if we're to have a hope we have to be outstanding in the transfer market. Castagne looks like a solid PL player who is very versatile. Signings like this should make sure we'll have a solid mid table finish. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

This feels like an Albrighton replacement, hard working versatile, poor attacking stats but popular player as he gives his all. No other interest apart from Hertha Berlin. I hope we've got someone else lined up because Chilwell as poor as he's been this season did help us in an attacking sense with surging runs forward.

This thread is littered with plenty of reports of other clubs interested in Castagne!

Castagne isn’t just popular because he works hard. 

C’mon. 

24 minutes ago, Beechey said:

If he's on that reported £25k/week, our base financial position has changed by a grand £3.7m net over 5 years (not including Chilwell's transfer fee).

Effectively we've signed this guy for £3.7m compared to where we were.

He won't be on £25k a week, naive to even think it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Quite clear? Right so we are missing our best centre back for the first 3 weeks and our 36 year old 3rd best had to hobble off the pitch on Saturday. 

Who are we planning to use at CB?

I didn't realise our whole transfer window started and ended with this one signing and that whatever formation and team we pick for the first 3 games cannot be rectified during the rest of the season when players come back? We will sign another centre half and Evans will return after the League Cup game, missing 2 PL games. 

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It won't be anything under 50k probably closer to 70k. Unless of course he happens to have the worst agent in the world lol

I dunno. If only Hertha were in for him he wouldn't have had much bargaining power with only 10 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if he was on much more than £50k. It's about our average.

19 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Poor attacking stats? Got similar stats to Ricardo who we deem one of the best full backs/wing backs in the world.

• Like 3