Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

8 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I dunno. If only Hertha were in for him he wouldn't have had much bargaining power with only 10 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if he was on much more than £50k. It's about our average.

I think it's pretty standard for a first team signing to earn at least that these days. Plus I will add that our only draw over Atalanta is sadly money, surely if it wasn't for the money he would stay for another season of champions league football and possibly a crack at the serie a title. 

My gut feel is that this dude is very much an Atalanta, Leicester, Hertha Berlin middle-of-the-road sort of guy. The type of guy a girl would take home to their mum.

I just wonder if our No1 LB target is likely to be unobtainable until a deadline day deal and this guy will fill in til then and after that fill in at RB until Ricardo is back (which will be a while til he's properly back) 

James Justin (I'm still not 100% sure it's that way around) isn't good enough imo for the level of football we aspire to

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think it's pretty standard for a first team signing to earn at least that these days. Plus I will add that our only draw over Atalanta is sadly money, surely if it wasn't for the money he would stay for another season of champions league football and possibly a crack at the serie a title. 

He wouldn't have been on much at all at Atalanta.

"... whereas the top earners in the Atalanta squad are Papu Gomez, Josip Ilicic and Duvan Zapata on €1.2m per year plus performance-related bonuses."

https://www.football-italia.net/157014/neymar-earns-much-atalanta

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Poor attacking stats? Got similar stats to Ricardo who we deem one of the best full backs/wing backs in the world.

The only difference between his and Albrighton's stats this season was Castagne managed a goal, other than that they both got 3 assists, Castagne had twice as much game time too. I'm only mentioning it because Rodgers states we need goals from more areas but as of yet we've done nothing to correct that.

7 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

He reportedly wants a crack at the Premier League. If that's true, you can imagine what his dream outcome would be, and why we'd be a better route to that than Atalanta.

Edited by turtmcfly

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The only difference between his and Albrighton's stats this season was Castagne managed a goal, other than that they both got 3 assists, Castagne had twice as much game time too. I'm only mentioning it because Rodgers states we need goals from more areas but as of yet we've done nothing to correct that.

Castagne should be compared to Ricardo and Chilwell and not Albrighton who played as an attacking midfield 3 whenever he played, bar a few games at wing back at the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK, here goes.

Ben Chilwell cannot defend very well, going forward he wasted so many dangerous openings and his crossing, shooting and passing felt like a lottery. A lot of fans were happier when Fuchs, Justin or Thomas played instead of him. Barnes had some of his best games on the left when Chilwell didn't play.

We have James Justin who fans think is unique in that he plays better on the left, like a young Andrea's Brehme. The cameo vs Watford at home where he got an assist and his performance vs Villa at home where he and Barnes ripped them apart further supports this notion. 

Luke Thomas is viewed by the club as being a bigger prospect than Ben Chilwell, his end product going forward seems to support that too. Provided a number of accurate passes and crosses, gets his head up and his technique seems to be solid and in control of all faculties, unlike Chilwell.

Timothy Castagne is one of the most versatile full backs and wing backs out there, his stats show he's played over 50 games on the left out of about 130 odd and his goals and assists from both left and right look impressive, he is also renown for being a better defender than attacker so that is also impressive in itself. With Ricardo looking increasingly likely to go in to next summer with just 2 years left on his deal aged 27, its a real possibility that he is sold unfortunately. £50-70m for a 27 year old next summer will be good business, but none of us want him to go. However, if he does and we have Castagne and Justin already here then it's one less immediate concern.

I think this is going to be a transition in to a new style of play and Castagne has a CV to back up being able to come in and help us do that. I don't see him being a jack of all trades but more of a player who will be an important cog in navigating 50-60 games next season and flexible enough for us to play the way we want to play week in, week out.

This isn't a panic signing either, we were linked pre Rodgers and Congerton and they both wanted him at Celtic so its a target the whole club are happy with and that reassures me as well.

Welcome Chestnut! Got a feeling he will do well, like his style of play.

A ****ing men, and I can’t wait to see the “Castagne best signing ever” once he creams in a 25 yard tinker at the Hawthorns.... the lad can shoot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

The prem can quite often be a draw over the Italian leagues aswell with some players seeing it as a higher level

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK, here goes.

Ben Chilwell cannot defend very well, going forward he wasted so many dangerous openings and his crossing, shooting and passing felt like a lottery. A lot of fans were happier when Fuchs, Justin or Thomas played instead of him. Barnes had some of his best games on the left when Chilwell didn't play.

We have James Justin who fans think is unique in that he plays better on the left, like a young Andrea's Brehme. The cameo vs Watford at home where he got an assist and his performance vs Villa at home where he and Barnes ripped them apart further supports this notion. 

Luke Thomas is viewed by the club as being a bigger prospect than Ben Chilwell, his end product going forward seems to support that too. Provided a number of accurate passes and crosses, gets his head up and his technique seems to be solid and in control of all faculties, unlike Chilwell.

Timothy Castagne is one of the most versatile full backs and wing backs out there, his stats show he's played over 50 games on the left out of about 130 odd and his goals and assists from both left and right look impressive, he is also renown for being a better defender than attacker so that is also impressive in itself. With Ricardo looking increasingly likely to go in to next summer with just 2 years left on his deal aged 27, its a real possibility that he is sold unfortunately. £50-70m for a 27 year old next summer will be good business, but none of us want him to go. However, if he does and we have Castagne and Justin already here then it's one less immediate concern.

I think this is going to be a transition in to a new style of play and Castagne has a CV to back up being able to come in and help us do that. I don't see him being a jack of all trades but more of a player who will be an important cog in navigating 50-60 games next season and flexible enough for us to play the way we want to play week in, week out.

This isn't a panic signing either, we were linked pre Rodgers and Congerton and they both wanted him at Celtic so its a target the whole club are happy with and that reassures me as well.

Welcome Chestnut! Got a feeling he will do well, like his style of play.

How do you know the club view him as a bigger prospect than Chilwell? 

Also if Thomas is anything other than perfection he'll be getting the same treatment from our fans as Chilwell has, it's just what we like to do to young players unfortunately. 

Just now, Pliskin said:

They do. They’ve been raving about him for years at the club. I used to play footie with one of the academy coaches, and he always said Luke Thomas was one hell of a player. In fact, the the youth teams guys are confident he will probably be a regular by the end of this season if not definitely the start of next. 

Hope so. Think that's unfair on Chilwell though who has just gained the club £50m+

2 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Not naive at all. You need check the salary of the Atlanta players 

28 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I dunno. If only Hertha were in for him he wouldn't have had much bargaining power with only 10 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if he was on much more than £50k. It's about our average.

There is no way we are paying him €30k per week as per a tweet I read earlier

of course there could be a chunky s/o fee but I would have thought we would want to spread that across his contact via salary re cash flow rather than an upfront payment 

anyway, the overall 5 year contract cost of fees and salary will likely reflect a weekly wage of 50/60k imo

3 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Not naive at all. You need check the salary of the Atlanta players 

He's not left a CL club and signed for £20m with 10 months of his contract left to get paid £25k a week.

It is naive to think otherwise, IMO of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There is no way we are paying him €30k per week as per a tweet I read earlier

of course there could be a chunky s/o fee but I would have thought we would want to spread that across his contact via salary re cash flow rather than an upfront payment 

anyway, the overall 5 year contract cost of fees and salary will likely reflect a weekly wage of 50/60k imo

Yeah, I reckon ~£50k is realistically what we'd offer.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think this is going to be a transition in to a new style of play

We've discussed this previously and I personally doubt that, I'll be surprised if Rodgers doesn't always lean back 4321/4141, I think it's our default and that he's very much a manager determined to make a specific vision work. He's a disciple of total football and playing "the right way." 

There's a reason guys like Pep and Co admire Bielsa and Gasperini but never really copy them, cavalier is fun but not pragmatic and I definitely think there's a fair bit of pragmatism in Rodgers approach. 

That said, I agree with more or less everything else you've posted. I definitely like the look of Castagne, I think he'll do a solid job and will be better defensively than Chilwell. It's probably an upgrade. 

I don't want to give the impression I'm specifically unhappy with this transfer, I just don't feel as scathing about the panickers as some others do on here. I understand the concern, as I think you do as well. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2