Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I keep reading that this guy is 'solid' or 'versatile'.  Faint praise.

I was hoping for more than a steady Eddie.  There are players out there that could have replaced Chilwell and improved us.  Perhaps they wouldn't come,   

As it stands we go into the new season weakened.

Tbf they are great virtues in a defender. If you'd be talking about a striker then fair enough.

This is a good signing. Perhaps not the most exciting name but from a team/squad perspective, very good. Versatile, experienced and knows a fair few of our squad. The fact he can play (well) in a number of positions adds value to our squad which is very much needed. Not a bad start to the window. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

~£20mill isn't a bad bit of business. At 24 with the ability to develop more, still with option to sell for a profit in a few years should he develop. Gives us a solid player at both fullback positions. Decent signing.

I fear this is another "decent" signing.

Just like Praet at £18m and Perez at £30m. Like the other two the first XI will not be improved but we'll have better squad cover and all it has cost us is £66m. 

If we're planning on playing a back four for any length of time just go out and get the best left back you can rather than a bits and pieces player.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I fear this is another "decent" signing.

Just like Praet at £18m and Perez at £30m. Like the other two the first XI will not be improved but we'll have better squad cover and all it has cost us is £66m. 

If we're planning on playing a back four for any length of time just go out and get the best left back you can rather than a bits and pieces player.

Exactly.

It's just going to be another signing that doesn't improve us and we'll either be selling for a loss or be lumbered with.

If you consistently sign players that don't improve the starting 11 then you won't improve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Here's a question for you: why do you care how much the guy cost?

No offence Beechey but this gets asked every time we sign someone and it really winds me up. That and "its not your money!" 

We have a finite budget, we're not Chelsea, we're not going to spend 200m. 

As fans we obviously don't know exactly what that budget is but you can look back through our recent transfer windows and get a rough idea of what we're likely to pay out and how it correlates to out going transfers. 

Clearly the more we spend on a player the less you can expect us to spend for the rest of the window.

• Like 2

Just now, AKCJ said:

Exactly.

It's just going to be another signing that doesn't improve us and we'll either be selling for a loss or be lumbered with.

If you consistently sign players that don't improve the starting 11 then you won't improve.

Castagne is better than Chilwell though? 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

No offence Beechey but this gets asked every time we sign someone and it really winds me up. That and "its not your money!" 

We have a finite budget, we're not Chelsea, we're not going to spend 200m. 

As fans we obviously don't know exactly what that budget is but you can look back through our recent transfer windows and get a rough idea of what we're likely to pay out and how it correlates to out going transfers. 

Clearly the more we spend on a player the less you can expect us to spend for the rest of the window.

It was a leading question so I could say this

So my point is even if the up front cost is high, the total cost relative to our position a few weeks ago has barely changed.

Edited by Beechey

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Shhh you can’t say that on here, people can’t seem to comprehend us playing anything other than 433 which means he must be playing as a straight up left back

We looked awesome playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 whatever you want to call it up until Christmas last year. We still have the same players apart from Chilwell at the club who looked a class above most PL teams.

I don't see why BR would want to change that as our stock formation as it appears to be change for change sake. My opinion is we should stick with 4-1-4-1 as our stock formation and should have bought a LB to suit. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't mind ambition at all but this guy comes with some quality and already it's not good enough, even though he can be versatile and is a signing we need in a position where we need to strengthen (some people are getting far too hung up on his position - he can play LB/LWB/RB/RWB). It's good to have that versatility and he comes with decent experience from a good side. 

Yes there have been some poor signings in recent times but this isn't one of them, I hope. Its the problem with people on this site (not you, just in general). People are far too quick to write a player off because they find one weakness or negative point and latch on to that for their whole time here). Give players a chance. Fans are far too cynical these days. I actually fear for any new signings first game. As soon as they make a mistake it'll be (told you so, not good enough blah blah blah). God forbid a player makes a mistake or one poor pass in a game. They're targeted by fans for the rest of the game and already confidence can be knocked. No matter how well they may go on to play - we make it very difficult as fans to be won over instead of just seeing a player try to enjoy themselves when they come here. 

OK.

It seems the majority are pleased with this acquisition.  I am a little underwhelmed but I don't suggest for a minute that he is a bad player or lacking in quality.  As I say, I am hard to please.  I would just like to add, directed more at some others, that different opinions are permitted.

I agree with you that we should get behind our new signings, the treatment that Ghezzal received was shameful and having said my piece, I will move on, hoping to be proven wrong,

• Like 4

Just now, AKCJ said:

He isn't. Not by a long way.

But if we spend a much bigger fee in a Chilwell replacement, it probably leaves us with much less money to continue improving the rest of the squad. 

It's logical to think we were looking at Gosens, Tagliafico and Castagne. The fact the latter comes with some quality but cheaper works better for us to then hopefully improve in other areas we also need to. As opposed to spending £40m on another LB and leaving less to pay for a quality winger/striker/CB which are usually way more expensive to pay for quality than a full back is... 

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But if funds were the concern, how could you have justified spending £40m on Gosens or Tagliafico?

I'd personally take a downgrade on Chilwell (not that I think he is, I've barely seen him play) in order to strengthen other areas more.

Edited by Beechey

Just now, AKCJ said:

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. 

Having said that, I didn't particularly rate Chilwell, so maybe we just have different views on what a 'good' full back is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Here's a question for you: why do you care how much the guy cost?

accountability has to part of the process to build for the future , we are not Burnley we can and do spend but thinking we just spend spend spend like man city without a care in the world is naive.  things can go wrong and clubs can get into deep trouble financially 

7 minutes ago, jamfox said:

accountability has to part of the process to build for the future , we are not Burnley we can and do spend but thinking we just spend spend spend like man city without a care in the world is naive.  things can go wrong and clubs can get into deep trouble financially 

If he's on that reported £25k/week, our base financial position has changed by a grand £3.7m net over 5 years (not including Chilwell's transfer fee).

Effectively we've signed this guy for £3.7m compared to where we were.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1