Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Twitter Transfer Rumours

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I probably would like to see him go out on loan to a Championship team too, but minutes in the league last season and being involved with the first team squad could mean he gets a chance this season. 

We'll see, will be interesting. Certainly offers us something different with his presence just hope we nurture him correctly.

Well for me, Hirst is not even close to being ready, and I have doubts that he will ever be of premier league level.  As was said, a loan to a championship club this season will be good experience for him, and give us a better idea of what he may or may not be capable of in the future.

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Mostly agree with this @jeffschlupp but also agree to an extent with @Ric Flair posted just after - our concern is that starting the season with a Justin-Soyuncu-Benkovic-Thomas back four might, just might, be disastrous in the short term, and instead of your optimistic 6-10 points we get 1-3. That wouldn't be inconsistent with the way we ended last season either, and once you get off to a start like that (a) it hampers you in terms of transfer dealings and (b) it can be hard to recover - cf Watford last season. 

I'd like to see a LB and CB arrive in the next week. The rest, I can wait for prices to drop.

So let's say we do start badly and take as many as 7 points less than we could have done.

If we'd took 7 points less last season we'd have finished 9th. We earned about £147.4m (ignoring rebate) from TV monies, Sheff Utd in 9th earned £132.6m. Add in what is highly unlikely to be any more than £20m from EL prize monies and it would've been a loss of about £35m in raw accounting terms.

But let's say if we'd rushed into it, we'd pay the £40m for Tagliafico; £40m for Brooks; £35m for Edouard. You wait until the end of the window and maybe you only pay £25m for each of them. So you've saved yourselves £40m.

I know it's dodgy maths and there are lots of other factors but when finances are tight (particularly in the short-term) there is merit to the idea of biding your time more than ever.

Starting the season with:

Schmeichel

Justin Soyuncu Benkovic Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison/Praet

Perez Vardy Barnes

would be no disaster, IMO. I don't expect Burnley or West Brom to come at us with all sorts of attacking dangers, and West Ham are hardly a scary proposition either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

So let's say we do start badly and take as many as 7 points less than we could have done.

If we'd took 7 points less last season we'd have finished 9th. We earned about £147.4m (ignoring rebate) from TV monies, Sheff Utd in 9th earned £132.6m. Add in what is highly unlikely to be any more than £20m from EL prize monies and it would've been a loss of about £35m in raw accounting terms.

But let's say if we'd rushed into it, we'd pay the £40m for Tagliafico; £40m for Brooks; £35m for Edouard. You wait until the end of the window and maybe you only pay £25m for each of them. So you've saved yourselves £40m.

I know it's dodgy maths and there are lots of other factors but when finances are tight (particularly in the short-term) there is merit to the idea of biding your time more than ever.

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison/Praet

Perez Vardy Barnes

would be no disaster, IMO. I don't expect Burnley or West Brom to come at us with all sorts of attacking dangers, and West Ham are hardly a scary proposition either.

You're assuming that the 7 points lost would be constant ie we end the season 7 points lower than we might otherwise have done. My concern is that the painful lack of confidence in the team since December would not only continue but get worse if we have a bad start.

Your first XI isn't terrible (though the back four has no more than about 50 PL games combined experience) but pause and think  about the bench! Morgan, Mendy, Choudhury, the usual wide players, Nacho & kids. Heaven help us if one of the starting XI gets injured/sent off/tired...

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

You're assuming that the 7 points lost would be constant ie we end the season 7 points lower than we might otherwise have done. My concern is that the painful lack of confidence in the team since December would not only continue but get worse if we have a bad start.

Your first XI isn't terrible (though the back four has no more than about 50 PL games combined experience) but pause and think  about the bench! Morgan, Mendy, Choudhury, the usual wide players, Nacho & kids. Heaven help us if one of the starting XI gets injured/sent off/tired...

I'm assuming it's constant because by the deadline we'll have signed the players we'd have otherwise signed earlier in the window. I know there is the confidence factor but new players will lift the team undoubtedly.

10 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison/Praet

Perez Vardy Barnes

Points are so important.  You're explaining that 7 points less than last season wouldn't be a disaster but look at last season.  We threw away 7 points in games against Norwich, Utd, Burnley, Everton, Bournemouth and others.  We finished 4 points short of Champions League. 

We shouldn't ever set up thinking it's ok to drop points. It isn't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison/Praet

Perez Vardy Barnes

Last season showed that leaving to the last minute no longer gets you a bargain. Brighton and Burnley asking £40+ for dunk and tarkowski and  Bournemouth asking £70m odd for Ake. 

By getting in a bit earlier (ie now) teams are more likely to sell as they have ample opportunity to replace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

I'm assuming it's constant because by the deadline we'll have signed the players we'd have otherwise signed earlier in the window. I know there is the confidence factor but new players will lift the team undoubtedly.

I hope you're right! I for one am worried, in part by the lack of incomings per se and in part because our management failed to rectify the confidence problem in six months - and new faces (of the right quality) can only help with that.

31 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I probably would like to see him go out on loan to a Championship team too, but minutes in the league last season and being involved with the first team squad could mean he gets a chance this season. 

We'll see, will be interesting. Certainly offers us something different with his presence just hope we nurture him correctly.

Hirst: Don't forget his Dad took about 3 seasons to become established in the Wednesday side, scored 6 in his opening season, and then went on to score about 150 goals for them!

Lets hope he's a bit like Jamie Vardy; imo looks like he needs to be fitter to be faster for the PL.

Edited by FoxFossil

Wonder if Mr. Percy has a friendship with someone at the club? Probably nothing but with Rennie being booted one can’t help but go all American and throw a conspiracy out that he was leaking information regarding ongoings within the club? I have just eaten a packet of smarties so off my tits on e-numbers.

41 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think as well we'll want to try to make the most of what is already in house before we chuck money at things, think Tavares, KDH and Hirst could all feature early doors to see if they're ready to step up, as well as Thomas of course. 

Brendan previously said he'd rather develop a £25m player than spend that on someone, but obviously we do need to strengthen too.  

I'm actually really excited to see if KDH and Tavares can force their way in this season. With the extra games, they could get a chance to excel in a cup competition and perhaps give Brendan a headache for league fixtures and important Europa games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rhysm said:

Last season showed that leaving to the last minute no longer gets you a bargain. Brighton and Burnley asking £40+ for dunk and tarkowski and  Bournemouth asking £70m odd for Ake. 

By getting in a bit earlier (ie now) teams are more likely to sell as they have ample opportunity to replace. 

I see the argument and it was strange we did not look abroad for a CB, as both Dunk and Tarkowski were always going to be high prices, but I do view those two as not typical of costs we would pay at end of the window. Assuming we do not try to buy from other EPL teams of course!

23 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison/Praet

Perez Vardy Barnes

We have an abysmal track record at making more than the odd signing towards the end of Windows. Its as if we cannot work on more than 1 deal at a time, so I'm not as comfy as some who think we'll get Tagliafico, Kabak, Edouard and Thauvin in in the last gew days for a a load of dough less than had we gone for them now. We will pay the price either way.

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Wonder if Mr. Percy has a friendship with someone at the club? Probably nothing but with Rennie being booted one can’t help but go all American and throw a conspiracy out that he was leaking information regarding ongoings within the club? I have just eaten a packet of smarties so off my tits on e-numbers.

Put it this way, if Puel had been in any way involved in the removal of a long serving member of the first team staff then there's have been an article or two about it!

56 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

"It's also thought Leicester are prepared to wait until much later in the transfer window to do their deals, feeling there may be better value by doing so."

This is the key bit of Dorsett's article from last night, and it makes perfect sense.

Rodgers has been dealt an ideal hand with three winnable games against average sides and one game we'd likely lose no matter who we played. There's no European football before the deadline either, and there's only one League Cup game on top of those four league games.

After October 3/4 we don't play again until October 17, by which time business in and out will be completely finished and we may have Fuchs and/or Ricardo back too. 

I think the group we've got even with injuries can take 6-10 points from those first four and progress in the League Cup. That gives Rudkin and Congerton significant leeway to drag deals out until the end of the window, squeeze out value, and potentially snatch their top targets too. If they're not internationals, then they also get that extra 10 days to settle in without the need to produce performances from the off.

I find it difficult to blame recruitment chiefs at the best of times given the transfer market is one of the craziest industries you'll find, but even more so under the current conditions. I would much rather our club be run by people protecting the club's financial interests and playing the cautious game than going gung-ho and chucking £30m at players well down their list (*cough* Leeds and Rodrigo *cough*).

Great post.

As much as it's annoying me, we definitely will get better value later on in the window.

I'd like to think we'll get one player in before our first game though, probably from abroad. I just hope we get off to a decent start, 1 or 2 points from the first 3 games will be poor. I sort of think the mindset of clubs this year is to just get through the season and re-assess in the summer. Tie down your best players to long term contracts, use the majority of the squad you've currently got, just avoid relegation (obviously this only applies to clubs outside the top 4/5), ensure the finances are kept in the black and make one or two smart signings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Put it this way, if Puel had been in any way involved in the removal of a long serving member of the first team staff then there's have been an article or two about it!

Yea, something isn’t quite right. Unless Brendan felt he wasn’t doing his job? When was he sacked? I’m wondering if Rodgers was unhappy with the amount of injuries we sustained towards the end of the season? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Clubs abroad will get desperate for cash later on if they have their own targets, it's a completely different climate this year. 

Edit: That doesn't mean I anticipate 5 superstars joining for bargain prices at the end of September.

Agreed. I think it might take a while for a lot of clubs to accept that prices can't be quite what they were for now. It's more than possible that the need to sell increases as the deadline approaches. It's not a normal window. I'm not panicking yet.

16 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm actually really excited to see if KDH and Tavares can force their way in this season. With the extra games, they could get a chance to excel in a cup competition and perhaps give Brendan a headache for league fixtures and important Europa games.

Nothing like blind faith!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Nothing like blind faith!

Well, our academy has done alright in recent years. It seems we're capable of producing top players, so why not one or two of our best current youth team players? Not saying it's going to happen, I'm just excited to see if they can do something.