Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Twitter Transfer Rumours

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

Not sure it's a need. We have Vardy and Iheanacho, then will have four wingers (signing, Barnes, Gray, Albrighton), and a utility player in Pérez who can play both positions if required. I don't expect Iheanacho to leave and unless Newcastle/Spurs are serious about Gray, I'd be surprised to see him leave too. Leaves little scope for a new striker in the squad for now, and also I don't think they will be that bothered about spending £25-30m (which is what the current market commands for a decent CF) when they need to put tightened resources into a CB and RW at minimum. Even once those two are in, I'd suggest in a 4-3-3 we're more short at attacking midfield or a 3-4-3 short of another left sided defender before looking at a striker. If he wants to primarily play 3-5-2 then I think it's more likely.

I think if the club got decent money or a high paying loan for Gray or Iheanacho they would consider selling and most likely bringing in a striker on loan with option (Jovic?). We've seen before though that that sort of deal is one that City only take up if it's a perfect match, rather than settling for a less than ideal target.

Spot on, IMO 

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think if the club got decent money or a high paying loan for Gray or Iheanacho they would consider selling and most likely bringing in a striker on loan with option (Jovic?). We've seen before though that that sort of deal is one that City only take up if it's a perfect match, rather than settling for a less than ideal target.

Ryan Bennett? :ph34r:

11 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

As someone else said earlier, failing Vardy and Iheanacho, then Perez is a pretty decent 3rd option. A proper RW/Inside forward solves many problems.

He kind of fits Rodgers' approach perfectly as a striker - capable of dropping deep and linking up play while drawing defenders away from their goal. Wingers can then go beyond him and get behind defenders to rack up assists and goals.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

He kind of fits Rodgers' approach perfectly as a striker - capable of dropping deep and linking up play while drawing defenders away from their goal. Wingers can then go beyond him and get behind defenders to rack up assists and goals.

I mean, we need to sign some wingers first though I guess 😅

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I would've thought strikers were there to score more goals than wingers? Perez is talented, but he isn't strong, fast enough and ISN'T a striker. Its the worst fall back option I've ever heard.

Just now, honeybradger said:

Firmino?

Even iff we had injurys then we wouldn't have enough talent across the whole front line to carry the team for every else. What is to say that he then gets injured, what then? Albrighton up top?

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Even iff we had injurys then we wouldn't have enough talent across the whole front line to carry the team for every else. What is to say that he then gets injured, what then? Albrighton up top?

What if Vardy, Iheanacho and Perez get injured at the same time? Better sign another striker. But they might get injured, as well. Better make it two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

What if Vardy, Iheanacho and Perez get injured at the same time? Better sign another striker. But they might get injured, as well. Better make it two.

Re read topic, I joined at requiring 1 striker incase vardy got injured and the perez being used in that role. 

3 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Re read topic, I joined at requiring 1 striker incase vardy got injured and the perez being used in that role. 

On the last page, people were talking about Perez being 3rd choice after Vardy and Kelechi. Regardless, Nacho is 2nd choice, isn't he? Perez is a better player centrally than out wide, and not at all a bad 3rd option. Outside the big 6, whose 3rd choice striker is better?

I think just about any club you can name would be up shit creek if their best 2 strikers are unavailable.

I get where you are coming from, I replied when someone mentioned ineacho being on the sick bench too this term with no classified strikers which doesn't sit well with me.

If perez were to be utilised in that manner then how long before teams figure that style out because we don't have a plan A which is exactly what happened last season.

We need another striker.

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I get where you are coming from, I replied when someone mentioned ineacho being on the sick bench too this term with no classified strikers which doesn't sit well with me.

If perez were to be utilised in that manner then how long before teams figure that style out because we don't have a plan A which is exactly what happened last season.

We need another striker.

I don't think it's likely that both Vardy and Kel get injured at the same time, and even if they did, the overlap would likely be pretty short. In that pretty unlikely situation, we'd have a pretty damn good backup in Ayoze to step in.

I don't think getting another striker is important this transfer window. If we did get one, I think we'd have to sell Kelechi to raise the funds and make space in the squad.

I think there are much more pressing concerns, transfer-wise, with CB and RW being most urgent. After that, I'd probably say another CB, another winger or a no.8.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We seem to need another striker every window according to FoxesTalk.

Genuinely don’t think we need one, it’s probably one of our positions with the most depth, if anything, considering we play one up top most the time and I’m sure Barnes could also play in a pair if needed. 

I think if Odsonne Edouard was available at the right price and forced through a move from Celtic then maybe he’d be the one you’d add, but it’s not a necessity. Look at Wolves though, they’ve had a great season and only really ever had one man up top across 50+ games. 

Wolves had an unusually good season and some would say a season where they were blessed with lack of injures that most other teams weren't.

I will disagree though. Whilst I have only been a member of FT a year or so, I do get a sense that a some members seem stuck in the past as opposed to moving with the times and if we are to be a club that a) matches Tops ambitions, b) a team that warrants the benefits of the training centre of which they are afforded, and c) a team with lofty ambitions not only in that context but also league standing and regular European football, then we must invest.

I believe we are at that crossroads that befell Sevilla and Athletico Madrid whereby selling players/investing in new players, must now be matched with a deepening and strengthening of our squad to gain advantage in progress.

To not do so will stagnate this trajectory and drive us backwards. 

An 18/19 year old striker who is happy with 5-10 appearances this season is probably the ideal purchase up front as they can challenge for a spot and cover any injuries. If we go 3-4-1-2 then they will have even more of an opportunity. 

Its either a very good winger and a youth striker, or we go for a striker who excels playing in a front 2.

The Arsenal academy striker who wants out Folarin Bolagun could be worth looking at.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Biggest priority is a centre back now unless benkovic is good enough now

With all due respect no matter what formation we settle on, we need attacking help desperately.  And even if you use a 3-5-2 at times you still need another winger, because you need some flexibility. Would love another good CB but an attacking wide player is the glaring need.

23 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I don't think it's likely that both Vardy and Kel get injured at the same time, and even if they did, the overlap would likely be pretty short. In that pretty unlikely situation, we'd have a pretty damn good backup in Ayoze to step in.

I don't think getting another striker is important this transfer window. If we did get one, I think we'd have to sell Kelechi to raise the funds and make space in the squad.

I think there are much more pressing concerns, transfer-wise, with CB and RW being most urgent. After that, I'd probably say another CB, another winger or a no.8.

Agree a Vardy replacement not needed this season we need the creativity player then next season it’s a striker.

if Vardy were to get injured I think we change shape and Nacho and Perez actually link up together quite well, well more so than trying to pair Vardy up, swapping between 9 & 10 between them with WBs deployed in a 3.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

An 18/19 year old striker who is happy with 5-10 appearances this season is probably the ideal purchase up front as they can challenge for a spot and cover any injuries. If we go 3-4-1-2 then they will have even more of an opportunity. 

Its either a very good winger and a youth striker, or we go for a striker who excels playing in a front 2.

The Arsenal academy striker who wants out Folarin Bolagun could be worth looking at.

I know we were in for Gelhardt and I wonder if he would've got a loan or perhaps more likely whether he would've flirted between seniors and U23s similar to Kapustka in his first season. I think you're probably onto something there if they can find a gem somewhere.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Wolves had an unusually good season and some would say a season where they were blessed with lack of injures that most other teams weren't.

I will disagree though. Whilst I have only been a member of FT a year or so, I do get a sense that a some members seem stuck in the past as opposed to moving with the times and if we are to be a club that a) matches Tops ambitions, b) a team that warrants the benefits of the training centre of which they are afforded, and c) a team with lofty ambitions not only in that context but also league standing and regular European football, then we must invest.

I believe we are at that crossroads that befell Sevilla and Athletico Madrid whereby selling players/investing in new players, must now be matched with a deepening and strengthening of our squad to gain advantage in progress.

To not do so will stagnate this trajectory and drive us backwards. 

Yeah I'd agree with this. As @pmcla26mentioned I think we should only really go out-and-out for a striker if a top player like Édouard becomes available. Thanks to the system we use we can't really buy a first-choice/back up striker if Vardy is going to keep them on the bench.

I feel like we say this every summer, but January or next summer is probably the time to go buy a first choice and conserve Jamie for as long as possible.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

I know we were in for Gelhardt and I wonder if he would've got a loan or perhaps more likely whether he would've flirted between seniors and U23s similar to Kapustka in his first season. I think you're probably onto something there if they can find a gem somewhere.

Yeah I was disappointed we didn't get him. Felt like our kind of transfer. Maybe there are other irons in the fire of his ilk though.

47 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

We need another striker.

Problem here is, what are you signing striker wise to plug this apparent hole in our squad?

If the aim is to find a deputy for the deputy so to speak, the club wouldn’t want to be spending big money - AND it’s not exactly an attractive option for an incoming player.

If on the other-hand, the plan is to sign a starting striker over the top of Vardy, Nacho, Perez etc - well that’s a big outlay and a transfer that should have been done early so pre-season can be used to develop an appropriate style of play for the new focal point of the attack.

The other option of course would be to sign a new backup striker... but for us to be meaningfully looking at that, I imagine Nacho would need to be close to a departure... and I don’t think he is as of yet.

But from this assessment of our options when it comes to signing another striker... I don’t see a real need here, unless something significant changes (long term injury or a Vardy replacement we’ve been tracking becomes openly available for example).

• Like 1