Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

44 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

Can`t wait to see this on the front page of the Guardian and Mirror, might be a little while though I fancy!!...But then again maybe it`s been made up by a false witness, If so I suppose it`s got a chance............

:nigel: 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Did anyone else see the Sky interview with Nicola Sturgeon? Her excuse for transferring elderly patients from hospitals to care homes until the middle of April, causing infection to spread to them and virtually doubling the death rate is that until then they didn’t know about asymptomatic transmission. Total bullshit!

This was posted on the 23rd January by a reasonably qualified observer that I’ve been following since the start. He mentions this characteristic twice, once at ~ 4:15, and again in summary around ~ 8:50. 

I didn’t see the interview,quite shocked to hear that.I’m sure most posters on here knew about asymptomatic transmission very early on.I used to watch the Peak Prosperity guy a lot at the outset of this.He was annoyingly accurate,predicting every next twist and turn.The calm before the storm,the lack of PPE etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

Can`t wait to see this on the front page of the Guardian and Mirror, might be a little while though I fancy!!...But then again maybe it`s been made up by a false witness, If so I suppose it`s got a chance............

Matter is dealt with considering she's admitted it, been honest about it, apologised for it and then resigned. 

Whereas the other guy... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Matter is dealt with considering she's admitted it, been honest about it, apologised for it and then resigned. 

Whereas the other guy... 

image.png.315f9995c7322da7fd69313314bf3617.png

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I didn’t see the interview,quite shocked to hear that.I’m sure most posters on here knew about asymptomatic transmission very early on.I used to watch the Peak Prosperity guy a lot at the outset of this.He was annoyingly accurate,predicting every next twist and turn.The calm before the storm,the lack of PPE etc.

Yes I’ve found his commentary very good throughout. I actually switched some of my superannuation from shares to cash just before the plunge in prices after one of his early episodes. He pointed out the disconnect between the market still going up and the threat of a global pandemic, and it didn’t make sense to me either.

• Like 1

This made me laugh; Piers screaming how no Tory MP wants to talk to him, 1 tweets back saying he'd offered and been denied.

Edit: Turns out he twisted this one a tad, he'd been booked for tomorrow due to other things on the show. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes I’ve found his commentary very good throughout. I actually switched some of my superannuation from shares to cash just before the plunge in prices after one of his early episodes. He pointed out the disconnect between the market still going up and the threat of a global pandemic, and it didn’t make sense to me either.

Well I hope you buy him a beer.The least you could do is press the like button😂Seriously though I’m glad you took his advice.I must admit I haven’t watched anything of him since everything shut down.The last one I watched he’d just bought a field and had ordered a load of solar panels😂Clever bloke but not good for keeping moral high.

• Haha 1

On 31/05/2020 at 11:23, pds said:

Not so sure. There was a massive party somewhere on my neighbourhood last night.  Non stop music and karaoke til 3:30am followed by what sounded like some pretty heated arguments as it ended and people left 

Another karaoke party going on somewhere nearby. Currently listening to a quite terrible rendition of Not Nineteen Forever by The Courteeners.

Edit - they've sang that song 3 times in a row now.

Edited by pds

Another notch against the government - will not release the report regards BAME persons and CV19 in fear it will raise racial tensions. So it’s delayed for the second time. 

Could just release it like and expect people to be adults. In the process saving lives. 

Alongside we are set to see remote voting disallowed today ensuring that all parliament votes must take place in the HoC. This could see a 1.3km line in and out of the building but it won’t happened because simply some MPs cant/won’t attend. 

Why is it with this government we have had the following:- 

- A SPAD who was found in a rare contempt of parliament 

- An unprecedented shutdown of parliament 

- Now an early enforced end to remote voting  in order to have a farcical vote/lobby system. 

There’s politics. Then there is ripping up the rules of parliament which have been there for hundreds of years. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Another notch against the government - will not release the report regards BAME persons and CV19 in fear it will raise racial tensions. 

Could just release it like and expect people to be adults. In the process saving lives 

I see little evidence of this capacity once people are given potential shocking or sensationalist news.

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I see little evidence of this capacity once people are given potential shocking or sensationalist news.

If it’s shocking news, it’s shocking news. That can’t be changed. Surely it’s in the interest of the nation that occurs as soon as possible to assist the public and medical staff. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If it’s shocking news, it’s shocking news. That can’t be changed. Surely it’s in the interest of the nation that occurs as soon as possible to assist the public and medical staff. 

But it's not necessarily shocking news; it's just as likely to be sensationalist headline clickbait.

For example, the original report that said black and ethnic minorities were 4 times likely to die of cornavirus.

When you factored in demographics and age, this then became 1.9 times.   Maths wasn't my best subject, but 4 isn't 1.9.

But this isn't the full story.  It's my understanding that even this 1.9 doesn't take into account occupation and economic activity ... which I would expect would reduce it down much lower.

I would expect you might find a similar ratio if you only considered low-income, inner-city, white men.   But that wouldn't really make news would it?

The point being ... I'm not sure most of us are very good at handling and interpreting sensationalist (bad) news.

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

But it's not necessarily shocking news; it's just as likely to be sensationalist headline clickbait.

For example, the original report that said black and ethnic minorities were 4 times likely to die of cornavirus.

When you factored in demographics and age, this then became 1.9 times.   Maths wasn't my best subject, but 4 isn't 1.9.

But this isn't the full story.  It's my understanding that even this 1.9 doesn't take into account occupation and economic activity ... which I would expect would reduce it down much lower.

I would expect you might find a similar ratio if you only considered low-income, inner-city, white men.   But that wouldn't really make news would it?

The point being ... I'm not sure most of us are very good at handling and interpreting sensationalist (bad) news.

My point is that the content is always going the same content if it's released today or if it's released in a week's time. If that's then sensationalist, then so it will be. That won't alter no matter when they release it. 

To deny the information to the public and medical staff seems again to be a measurement of someone's life over the potential political capital. In the process of denying the information to BAME persons, stoking up 'racial tensions' further.

If the report confirms that occupation and economic activity are the larger driving forces then that's what we can all collectively regardless race take from this and further safeguards people who work those occupations. 

Of all the people, it would be most useful to medical staff who could alter treatments in the information of that provided. 

Again I repeatedly ask myself why the government of this era/this cabinet so secretive? The umpteenth document/enquiry/report they don't want to release on time. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Another notch against the government - will not release the report regards BAME persons and CV19 in fear it will raise racial tensions. So it’s delayed for the second time. 

Could just release it like and expect people to be adults. In the process saving lives. 

Alongside we are set to see remote voting disallowed today ensuring that all parliament votes must take place in the HoC. This could see a 1.3km line in and out of the building but it won’t happened because simply some MPs cant/won’t attend. 

Why is it with this government we have had the following:- 

- A SPAD who was found in a rare contempt of parliament 

- An unprecedented shutdown of parliament 

- Now an early enforced end to remote voting  in order to have a farcical vote/lobby system. 

There’s politics. Then there is ripping up the rules of parliament which have been there for hundreds of years. 

They're not rules. They're precedents based on a constitution that doesn't exist and a system that is no longer trusted by those who operate it and have to live within it. Literally no other country operates in this weird semi-feudalistic way. Why would they want to?

• Like 1

Anyone watching this vote on whether to stop MPs voting remotely? Absolute shambles.

Rees-Mogg wasting time like this during a national crisis (and even more will be wasted if it goes through due to the time socially-distanced voting will take). For shame.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

On 01/06/2020 at 05:41, Gordon the Great said:

Are you claiming false witness in the Cummings case?

There was me thinking he'd admitted to driving up North and then later to the castle.

• Like 1

It's taken a while for Rees-Smug to resurface once again.

I've just had a look at that line.  Makes a queue at Alton Towers look insignificant.

I'm not surprised by his antics though tbh.  Perhaps they ought to provide him with a sun lounger so that he can sit back and wave people through as they reach the end of the line.

On 01/06/2020 at 08:46, StanSP said:

Whereas the other guy... 

Exactly. Cummings is the government's most prominent adviser and will have played a central role in its response to Covid-19. That's very different to those who didn't, regardless of whether we consider their infractions to be more serious or not. The issue isn't so much what the person did, it's who did it. When I catch A Level students smoking round the back of the gym I tell them off. If they caught me doing it - especially if I'd previously slapped them with a detention - I'd be in serious trouble. If the parents and governors were satisfied with an apology, I'd happily go begging.

Dye-in-the-wool opponents were outraged from the start by Cummings' actions, but if initial surveys of opinion were anything to go by, your average person wanted an acknowledgement of responsibility rather than blood. Opinions hardened when the government's reaction had that feeling of 'we do what we want, and pay the price for it when/if we want', and yet if they'd acknowledged that they needed to modify their behaviour this wouldn't have gained so much traction.

So the guy never needed nailing up. It was badly handled, and there was a degree of complacency that 'this will disappear'. And it will. The story will die down now. But if we hit troubled waters ahead, there's a good chance that it will also undermine future messages, and add to that growing assessment that - in one of its first major tests - the Johnson government simply wasn't up to scratch.

• Like 2

Slow hand clap for those 242. Do they not realise how this looks to the public, and indeed the rest of the world? The last thing we can afford right now is such an inefficient democratic system. They really don't fvcking care, do they?

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Are you claiming false witness in the Cummings case?

There was me thinking he'd admitted to driving up North and then later to the castle.

The Mirror reported that he had been back to Durham a seond time, which was based on someone making it up.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how many MPs went from London to their constituencies in March?

Just now, hackneyfox said:

You're saying that's as bad as DC's travels far and wide?

I'm saying there is a massive double standard going on becuase the media & the establishment don't like Cummings.  Even there you are using exxageration.  Far and wide?  Why?  He drove to Durham to be near family, then took a drive and a walk once they were all recovered.  Oh and picked up his wife and son from Hospital without leaving the car.  Woo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1