Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

41 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Starmer can afford to just sit and watch CoCo the Clown and his bunch of incompetent muppets implode. We have Brexit to come yet and the same Covid bunch have their greasy fingers into that as well.

3 and a half years probably benefits Labour. Starmer needs time to stamp his authority over the party and he imo will only get more popular over time as he comes across as squeaky clean, I don't think any of us realistically thought the polls would be this close at this stage into a new government.

• Like 2

Did the Brexit thread get locked? Was thinking the other day that rather than immediately trying to negotiate a deal with the US, agreeing a deal with Norway and Iceland would probably be a better idea. We’re obviously a larger economy, we’re Norway’s biggest export partner and Iceland’s 3rd and I’m not sure about Iceland but Norway is quite Anglophilic 

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Did the Brexit thread get locked? Was thinking the other day that rather than immediately trying to negotiate a deal with the US, agreeing a deal with Norway and Iceland would probably be a better idea. We’re obviously a larger economy, we’re Norway’s biggest export partner and Iceland’s 3rd and I’m not sure about Iceland but Norway is quite Anglophilic 

Nope, it’s still there but now in second page.

28 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Well, Norway gave us Roald Dahl and by and large they seem to be great people too so that's a good idea IMO. :D

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-norway-and-iceland-signtrade-continuity-agreement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/05/2020 at 01:03, Leicester_Loyal said:

I hardly think a week will make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

What countries? We're probably the last to open stuff up.

• Germany - Football has started again, all shops are open (some have been since April), schools open for some children
  • Italy - Bars and restaurants open, gyms and swimming pools open, hairdressers open
  • France - Bars and restaurants opening next week, schools open, beaches open
  • Belgium (the one we're closest compared to) - Shops open, schools open, hairdressers open
  • Netherlands - They'll be back to normal as of next week
  • Spain - Bars with terraces open, without opening 10th June along with restaurants, football starting in 11 days, no quarantine from 1st July, schools opened partially last week.

That’s a comparison at this point now. Take a look at Europe’s numbers of deaths and infections at the point of their lockdown relaxation. We are higher per 100k of population on all of the major European nations - FT did a well research article on it on Saturday. 

On 30/05/2020 at 06:10, Markyblue said:

Anyone who thinks these tiny steps forward are too early thats fair enough,  stay indoors,  dont meet any other households, keep your kids off school,  its really your decision nobody is forcing you to do anything. 

I will be doing - however it collectively doesn’t work like that, the majority of the nation needs to be sensible and seeing the pictures from yesterday at the likes of Durdle Door, that’s not happening. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

15 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Apart from the last question, i thought the daily briefing today was pretty good.

Mostly sensible questions ... reasonably well answered by the minister.  Very detailed answers by JVT.

JVT made the important point many times ... we must continue with social distancing, even though measures are being slowly relaxed.

JVT was a breath of fresh air on yesterday’s call. Seemed to do it with more a human touch / the constant highlighting by him to comply for example 

It was funny watching Raab on Marr earlier saying that we shouldn't look the other way to the CCP's actions in Hong Kong then 20 seconds later no commenting on the George Floyd protests (I know they're not strictly the same thing).

Just now, Lionator said:

It was funny watching Raab on Marr earlier saying that we shouldn't look the other way to the CCP's actions in Hong Kong then 20 seconds later no commenting on the George Floyd protests (I know they're not strictly the same thing).

Pathetic, wasn't it? No way he trots out that line if it had been said by Kim Jong-Un or the like...

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That’s a comparison at this point now. Take a look at Europe’s numbers of deaths and infections at the point of their lockdown relaxation. We are higher per 100k of population on all of the major European nations - FT did a well research article on it on Saturday. 

I will be doing - however it collectively doesn’t work like that, the majority of the nation needs to be sensible and seeing the pictures from yesterday at the likes of Durdle Door, that’s not happening. 

My post was absolutely with the right intentions and not having a go at anybody who wants to be ultra careful,  i believe if we are sensible and dont become over confident we can gradually get back to some form of normal,  there will always be idiots but i firmly believe the vast majority have invested too much effort over the last couple of months to throw it all away,  keep safe and good luck.

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

My post was absolutely with the right intentions and not having a go at anybody who wants to be ultra careful,  i believe if we are sensible and dont become over confident we can gradually get back to some form of normal,  there will always be idiots but i firmly believe the vast majority have invested too much effort over the last couple of months to throw it all away,  keep safe and good luck.

Not so sure. There was a massive party somewhere on my neighbourhood last night.  Non stop music and karaoke til 3:30am followed by what sounded like some pretty heated arguments as it ended and people left 

Guest Markyblue
Just now, pds said:

Not so sure. There was a massive party somewhere on my neighbourhood last night.  Non stop music and karaoke til 3:30am followed by what sounded like some pretty heated arguments as it ended and people left 

I dont doubt you for a minute but its a tiny percentage of 67 million people.......hopefully. 

2 hours ago, Markyblue said:

I dont doubt you for a minute but its a tiny percentage of 67 million people.......hopefully. 

Just found out the sister in law has taken her fence down and a lot of the family is going around for a big BBQ with her and all her neighbours later ffs. Their garden isn't big and only accessible via the house. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Markyblue said:

It wasn't a tiny percentage in my road last night. We had a volley ball net, table tennis, lawn bowls, size by side bar-b-q's and all sorts. They probably think that I'm a miserable git for not joining in. Same folk that were clapping the NHS on Thursday night. 

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

It wasn't a tiny percentage in my road last night. We had a volley ball net, table tennis, lawn bowls, size by side bar-b-q's and all sorts. They probably think that I'm a miserable git for not joining in. Same folk that were clapping the NHS on Thursday night. 

I've just driven through Swadlincote, Ashby, Ticknall and a few other villages. It's business as usual in these places. 

5 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Having seen pictures of parks in SW London from a friend yesterday and the state of some beaches, i think it's become a bit more than a small percentage sadly.

@Finnaldo summed it up pretty well earlier on; the fines etc were brought in place to enforce the rules, yet since the Cummings saga that enforcement has dropped due to a few things. In tandem with that, the British always seem to want to push boundaries a little, so with loosening of lockdown rules people are pushing them more and more.

6 hours ago, pds said:

We had the same next door to us yesterday - party from 4pm until the early hours. Nearly scrapping on the front at 8pm. They’ve had more people around in the last two weeks than they have in the last six months 

The way I view the UK’s society is like a classroom. Kids push the rules but then a teacher breaks the rules. So kids know they can push further subconsciously. The fear of the teacher is lost. Consequences gone 

We have had hundreds running around London and Manchester today for protests. Are people all out thick? Noble of them but for crying out loud 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Did anyone else see the Sky interview with Nicola Sturgeon? Her excuse for transferring elderly patients from hospitals to care homes until the middle of April, causing infection to spread to them and virtually doubling the death rate is that until then they didn’t know about asymptomatic transmission. Total bullshit!

This was posted on the 23rd January by a reasonably qualified observer that I’ve been following since the start. He mentions this characteristic twice, once at ~ 4:15, and again in summary around ~ 8:50. 

• Like 1