Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I can't disagree with the examples you've used but what I would note is the difference between the Churchill simile and this Is during the Second world war, folk believed that their freedoms where being threatened and he protected those rights, it made them act differently. The roles reversed in BJ's case as he has had to make decisions that many feel has taken their freedoms away. 

I agree with you that in disaster, there is opportunity for political leaders but I feel in this case, there were no decisions that he could have made that everyone would have agreed with as the whole country now seems to be an expert on infectious diseases. 

With regards to you're last point  you can't be too decisive or bold as it comes across as uncaring. The best example is Nicola Sturgeon. She is the complete opposite to BoJo in that she seems to have been very decisive and sure of her self where he seems to give off the impression of incompetence yet, many have said she is cold and uncaring and acted too harshly.... 

She will lose a lot of votes over this, just like Johnson and I don't think we have a political leader who could have gained the public's confidence through this. 

But is what you say a true reflection?

My recollection is that initially Johnson had the weight of people onside, even if there were some rumblings that the lockdown came too late. It seems he even got a bounce in popularity from catching the virus himself judging by this article; 

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2020/10/what-happens-public-opinion-when-world-leader-gets-covid-19

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

But then there was the Cummings affair and a pleather of further tone deaf missteps and general disappearances that for many have made Johnson's position as Prime Minister untenable.

It's hard not to asses that throughout this he has showed little to no leadership qualities. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/29/boris-johnson-faces-tory-wrath-as-party-slumps-in-shock-poll

Boris Johnson is facing a showdown with furious Conservative MPs over his government’s chaotic handling of Covid-19, as a new poll shows the Tories have surrendered a massive lead over Labour in just five months.

Now whilst I might consider that had Comrade Corbyn miraculously swept to power last November, he wouldn't have been any better in this scenario, I can imagine that had someone like John Major, Tony Blair or god forbid - Maggie - been PM, there's no-way they would handled things this badly.  

And you cite Sturgeon - I believe her approval rating has soared on both sides of the border. 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18645237.nicola-sturgeons-approval-rating-soars-new-yougov-survey/

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18820331.nicola-sturgeon-now-popular-england-boris-johnson/

https://www.politico.eu/article/support-for-scotland-independence-uk-at-highest-ever-level-poll/

Support for Scottish independence is at the highest level ever recorded, according to a new poll.

The poll, by Ipsos MORI, found that 58 percent of people in Scotland who have made up their mind would vote Yes, with 42 percent saying they would vote No. That’s the highest level of support for Scottish independence that has ever been recorded.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Nicola_Sturgeon

Nicola Sturgeon is the most popular other UK public figure and the most famous. Nicola Sturgeon is described by fans as: Good speaker, A leader, In touch with ordinary people, Intelligent and Stands up for ordinary people.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

People shamelessly panic buying in Aldi. This country is full of cùnts.

I know Morrisons haven’t delivered any grapefruits for the last two weeks and i’m.......... a little upset, you could say livid even :P

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Because none of this was meant to be announced until tomorrow

I'm not buying that!

Johnson's administration have a long history of briefing moves to the press before they make them - and the level of detail the press had before the announcement suggests to me this wasn't a rouge leak, this was information planted into the hands of journalists with purpose.

He even did it with proroguing parliament.

However given the speakers rebuke of government behaviour of this level back in September - Boris needs to be seen to be 'furious' that his plans were leaked by some unknown awful, awful person, but I doubt the muted 'official inquiry' will ever find any culprit. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-new-gathering-rules-leaked-twitter-speaker-b420984.html

Hoyle, Sept 2020 - “It’s really not good enough for the government to make decisions of this kind in the way in which show insufficient regard for the importance of major policy announcements being made first to this House and members of this House wherever possible.  

“Can I say to him I’ve already sent a letter to the secretary of state. I think the total disregard for this chamber is not acceptable."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I hate how the focus now is political point scoring, rather than what's actually important 

Exactly this.

It's something i've said for a long time regarding Brexit and before, it's a major reason why i've lost interest and don't bother with politics anymore.

So, if a lockdown was needed or going to be needed Starmer it should have been done a couple of weeks ago when half term was approaching, the schools would be shut and you could perhaps tag a week on before or after if really needed both. However I don't agree with Starmer they if it's a choice between closing schools now or having a longer lockdown then it should be a long lockdown - he can **** off.

Now is that allowed? Because it seems to me dependant on who you 'support' or your political stance you're not allowed to agree and disagree with certain politicians or parties, like someone else said football fans get took the piss out of for the 'us' and 'them' mentatlity, when its probably worse when it comes to which political party you support or oppose it really does amuse me (And wind me up at the same time).

Now when lockdown was rumoured on Friday/Yesterday I became pissed off and i'm still fed up simply by the word 'lockdown'. However, it isn't a lockdown is it? What's really going to change? Wishy washy guidance again, all it seems to me is non-essential shops will close, rightly or wrong gyms will close (Of which i've not been going to the gym anyway because I didn't feel it was right to go back - but that's a personal decision), pubs and restaurants, apart from that I don't really see much change or what this 'lockdown' will do, i'll still be going to work with 50 - 80 other people, my routine won't really change and I dare say others who are taking some responsibility and applying the rules won't really be too much effected but that's exactly my point - this 'lockdown' isn't a lockdown. We either do this or don't, all or nothing.

Why Universities are still open is beyond me. Students won't change their ways and whilst i've said the guidance or rules (Or enforcement of the rules) is poor its about time people take responsibility for themselves, the amount of people i've heard say 'Why aren't they doing this', 'If they're not doing this, why should I' and it gives them an excuse not to do something.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

I would say the reason universities are still open are so there isn't a mass movement of people moving back across the country over the next few days. They'll want them to go back over Christmas if cases are down enough and then keep them closed after Christmas.

If you look at the gov.uk rules, it even specifically mentions students are not to go back home:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

There are further restrictions in place:

• If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas. We will publish further guidance on the end of term.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But is what you say a true reflection?

My recollection is that initially Johnson had the weight of people onside, even if there were some rumblings that the lockdown came too late. It seems he even got a bounce in popularity from catching the virus himself judging by this article; 

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2020/10/what-happens-public-opinion-when-world-leader-gets-covid-19

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

But then there was the Cummings affair and a pleather of further tone deaf missteps and general disappearances that for many have made Johnson's position as Prime Minister untenable.

It's hard not to asses that throughout this he has showed little to no leadership qualities. 

Now whilst I might consider that had Comrade Corbyn miraculously swept to power last November, he wouldn't have been any better in this scenario, I can imagine that had someone like John Major, Tony Blair or god forbid - Maggie - been PM, there's no-way they would handled things this badly.  

And you cite Sturgeon - I believe her approval rating has soared on both sides of the border. 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18645237.nicola-sturgeons-approval-rating-soars-new-yougov-survey/

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18820331.nicola-sturgeon-now-popular-england-boris-johnson/

Fair enough mate. You've supported everything you've said with cold hard evidence. Nothing I can say to that. 

I speak to quite a few local business owners in the small town I'm from and shes lost the support of most of them but that would have happened regardless of who was in power but I do appreciate that makes up a tiny percent of the population.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guvnor said:

If I could guarantee that would be my only symptom I would welcome it, our dogs farts are fcuking wicked.

That is actually how we thought my smell might be gone! Our dog farted, everyone thought it was rank and I couldn’t smell it at all lol

Edited by moore_94
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

People shamelessly panic buying in Aldi. This country is full of cùnts.

Agree with this.

However when the BBC are providing a platform for people to say we're going to be using ice rinks as morgues first thing on a Sunday morning without rebuke, I am not surprised.

The media are to blame for this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Agree with this.

However when the BBC are providing a platform for people to say we're going to be using ice rinks as morgues first thing on a Sunday morning without rebuke, I am not surprised.

The media are to blame for this.

To a point you might be right but that doesn’t absolve people of personal responsibility. They’re still Cùnts.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I would say the reason universities are still open are so there isn't a mass movement of people moving back across the country over the next few days. They'll want them to go back over Christmas if cases are down enough and then keep them closed after Christmas.

If you look at the gov.uk rules, it even specifically mentions students are not to go back home:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

There are further restrictions in place:

• If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas. We will publish further guidance on the end of term.

It's better now that they don't move but anyone could see it would cause a huge increase in cases, especially in areas that had been relatively unscathed.

Like with the schools, the Government seemed bewildered that opening things up and having lots of people congregate would mean the virus spreads- see Hancock's idiotic comments about the demand for tests not being expected.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

It's better now that they don't move but anyone could see it would cause a huge increase in cases, especially in areas that had been relatively unscathed.

Like with the schools, the Government seemed bewildered that opening things up and having lots of people congregate would mean the virus spreads- see Hancock's idiotic comments about the demand for tests not being expected.

Oh I agree with you. Think opening universities and schools has been the biggest issue as to why this virus has gotten out of control again.

Here in Portsmouth we have more cases than a lot of tier 2 places, but were never put into tier 2 according to the local paper, because 70%+ people testing positive were people under 30 and the majority of positive cases in the city are from people living in student halls.

Not blaming the students, just saying it's natural when you get people from all round the world all moving into one building together that diseases are going to spread like wildfire.

But I would hazard a guess that closing universities now could end up being very messy with people moving all round the country back to their families and with international students, some of whom would not be allowed to travel home if their own countries are in lockdown as well. In that sense I think there is a good arguement for universities staying open for the time being, else it could cause more chaos. Though if cases do reduce, it might be sensible to send people home in the Christmas holidays after a negative test and then tell them to take the Spring term online from home. Hopefully they'll be in a position to come back permanently after the Easter break. 

16 minutes ago, Rain King said:

My oldest son was sent home to isolate for 14 days on Thursday as a classmate has Corona. I do find it weird that my youngest is still going in.

Also find it weird that only his class is sent home despite all 3 classes of that year mixing in the playground and assembly.

Almost like the government don't know what they're doing. Strange. 

6 hours ago, Buce said:

Your callous disregard for sixty thousand 'grannies' (your figures) aside, the over-eighties are not exclusive in their vulnerability. I don't have the figures to hand, but during the first lockdown the 'vulnerable' group was somewhere in the millions (including quite a few of non-advanced years on here). Are they all expendable too?

How completely can you miss the point?  To you, it is obviously worthwhile that 3 million people should spend the rest of their lives under life imprisonment with fow if any visiting rights, if that helps save up to 60,000 lives.  But by the same token, aren't you showing callous disregard for the 3 million?  

If the government put it the other way round, and said that they have a policy that involves locking up 300,000 people until they die and we will not let them see their family even on their deathbed - wouldn't that be considered callos too?

The point is, it is no use government having a policy that no-one will die because it is outside their power.  It is also pointless the government having a policy that coronavirus deaths will be reduced as low as possible because the practical results of that policy will be that more people will die of other things.  The reason I am particularly concerned about old people is that they are the ones most likely to suffer from dementia.  It's blase to say that the 60,000 lives are all that matters and the 800,000 dementia sufferers can just get worse and worse, because they after all are still breathing and the dead are not; but there is more to life than to keep breathing.

The same applies to other vulnerable people.  It's just harder to pout a figure on the numbers, and of course the younger you are, the more likely to have close relatives still living.

Email from sons school late last night. Case identified so isolate until they can check more on contacts. My lad and 2 mates dropped out of playing football today because of this. Have since heard 2 others who decided to play. So again the biggest problem is selfishness 

I've accepted Christmas will be different and I'm pretty sure most people have too. So all this saving Christmas is nonsense. I am hopeful that at best we will be allowed of mix minimum households, or have gatherings no more than 10, and I will be happy enough with that. Pubs won't be open this year, so no Christmas Eve, boxing day or new year's normality (I'm more gutted about this than any big family gathering :ph34r:)

It's weird isn't it, every year we see adverts this time of year about elderly loneliness but this year it's going to be actively encouraged :(

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've accepted Christmas will be different and I'm pretty sure most people have too. So all this saving Christmas is nonsense. I am hopeful that at best we will be allowed of mix minimum households, or have gatherings no more than 10, and I will be happy enough with that. Pubs won't be open this year, so no Christmas Eve, boxing day or new year's normality (I'm more gutted about this than any big family gathering :ph34r:)

It's weird isn't it, every year we see adverts this time of year about elderly loneliness but this year it's going to be actively encouraged :(

Every Christmas Eve the same 100 or so lads go to the same pub where I am, it'll be weird as **** staying in this year. Saying that, booking the pub and having to sit down on Christmas Even would probably feel even weirder.