Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

With brexit likely to be done by January to the satisfaction of most leavers, Nigel needs something to stay relevant and continue to deliver his lifestyle ...

Didn't realise Biden is so anti Bozo and the fairytale that is Brexit...

Come on Joe!!!!

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I used to think that Farage was a quite intelligent operator who understood people very well, and knew what buttons to press. Or a Russian agent. Now I genuinely think he's just a bit thick. 

So one of the people I usually watch on YouTube has been mia for a few weeks so thought I'd check his twitter, turns out he got the rona, which is bad enough, but he actually managed to track down pretty much exactly where he got it. Local boozer, owner tested positive and instead of isolating he decided to keep the boozer open and on top of that actually carry on working and greeting customers. 

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

So one of the people I usually watch on YouTube has been mia for a few weeks so thought I'd check his twitter, turns out he got the rona, which is bad enough, but he actually managed to track down pretty much exactly where he got it. Local boozer, owner tested positive and instead of isolating he decided to keep the boozer open and on top of that actually carry on working and greeting customers. 

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

And I thought students coming to class with the knowledge of a positive test would be the stupidest thing like this I heard..

Farage’s idea of safety would probably to bilk the HMS victory, remove a select group of close friends to a remote island whilst bellowing “Rule Britannia” and kick the indigenous peoples off, all whilst wearing a “I ❤️ British empire” t-shirt. 

13 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

people shouldn't need the government to tell them if they can have Christmas with there family or not, we are not children and its not a bio hazard so bollox to them

This is why rates are not dropping. We do need support in this as we are no where near as disciplined as many other nations. Isn’t Rona a virus? Therefore it is biological and it’s certainly somewhat of a hazard! I mean I know friends who have lost people ... it may be worth trying to show a little respect for it and for those who have suffered a loss

Edited by casablancas

10 hours ago, bovril said:

I used to think that Farage was a quite intelligent operator who understood people very well, and knew what buttons to press. Or a Russian agent. Now I genuinely think he's just a bit thick. 

He's always been about exploiting the right wing conspiracy nuts who get their endorphins from thinking they understand something everyone else doesn't.  It's just unfortunate that for brexit that was basically half the adult population 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Farage’s idea of safety would probably to bilk the HMS victory, remove a select group of close friends to a remote island whilst bellowing “Rule Britannia” and kick the indigenous peoples off, all whilst wearing a “I ❤️ British empire” t-shirt. 

You joke but look at America.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I've been working in a secondary school for the past 6/7 weeks - first time I've ever really done it (I know - what a time to start!) and you absolutely wouldn't believe some of the nonsense. It might as well be normal. Here's some of what I've seen:

- kid had a test over the weekend, parents didn't inform us until the Tuesday morning that he'd tested positive, by which point he's had 6 classes

- different kid tests positive so they send half his class home - but not any in his brother's class or those that get the bus with him
- rule is you wear masks between classes and all stay behind a line in the classroom. That's literally unenforceable when you've got hundreds of teenagers all clumping together and then the really excited ones who literally cannot control themselves
- staff and teacher's rooms where there's barely enough space for 4 out of 5 staff in normal times so any semblance of social distancing goes out the window. Not even any effort from management to sort that. 

I'd say, on an average week, we're now seeing at least 2-3 teachers self isolating, as well as one or two support staff. There's also about 40-50 kids isolating across school every week. Saw a chart that showed year 9 (I think) down to 80% attendance. 

How would I solve it?

Shut the schools for 2 weeks (or even just one)
Use that time to introduce a rota system of blended learning, which priority for years 7 and 11
Aim to get kids in for 3 days over a week, with home-based projects to do on the other two days. EG - Year 7/11 do Mon, Tues, Weds, Year 10 do Tues, Weds, Thurs and year 8/9 do Thurs, Fri 

Couple that with reduced exams next year or courseworks, coupled with predicted grades and prioritise getting exams all done in June

Work with employers to highlight where there may be gaps in knowledge/ skills over the next 5 years so training can be prepared

Bulk create school meals that can be taken home and heated for those on Free School Meals

Pros 

• Really clamping down on contact and making it easier to manage groups
  • Safer for staff (who are the backbone and appear to be the ones bearing the brunt of it)
  • Still gives those most in need a focus - school leavers
  • Provides parents with opportunities to still go out and work

Cons

• Not a full school system
  • Chance of out of school engagement with work will only hit about 10-30% (around the average I'm seeing)
  • Still leaves parents having to work out childcare
  • Poorest kids may struggle to engage with school if it's on Teams/ Google Classroom, etc

I would also only do this until Easter at the absolute latest, but ideally just through January or Feb half term. This is not a solution for a year but just to see us through winter and, hopefully, should allow other businesses to stay open. Schools, as evidence is showing us, are where a lot of the issues have come from and hard choices have to be made. 

That's just my thoughts based on working in education and I know not all schools will be like the one I've seen but, talking to people with kids, it doesn't sound like it's that different anywhere else. 

Schools are being kept open entirely to avoid a need for any childcare arrangements, such that the rest of the country can work.

If you feel like you're the guys bearing the brunt who've been thrown in to the fire, to enable the economy to stumble (the fall is to come!) then that's because its exactly what has happened.

Your constructive and common sense points are admirably made, but your role here is to soak it up. Please feel free to play the martyr about it; you probably won't even be playing to be honest. 

Out of interest, what sort of engagement have you (or your colleagues) had with your Unions? I do wonder if they are not listened to whether they might as well just strike.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bovril said:

In the weirdest way possible, I kind of respect him. If I had the platform he has to consistently grift money from dimwits, I think I would.

Edited by FerrisBueller
Typo

56 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Schools are being kept open entirely to avoid a need for any childcare arrangements, such that the rest of the country can work.

If you feel like you're the guys bearing the brunt who've been thrown in to the fire, to enable the economy to stumble (the fall is to come!) then that's because its exactly what has happened.

Your constructive and common sense points are admirably made, but your role here is to soak it up. Please feel free to play the martyr about it; you probably won't even be playing to be honest. 

Out of interest, what sort of engagement have you (or your colleagues) had with your Unions? I do wonder if they are not listened to whether they might as well just strike.

There's also a school of thought that education is important.  Certainly when a child wants time off for a holiday, every day of education is said to be vital.

It's a while since I was at school, so maybe things have changed.  If schooling is done at home, online, is it as easy for a teacher to ensure that the whole class is paying attention and working quietly?  Are all children sufficiently motivated to keep working when they don't have to?

I dare say the big question is, how important a job is teaching?  Obviously they aren't key workers like NHS or deliverymen or supermarket staff, but the trade union leaders appear to rank them as no more important than hairdressers and beauty parlours, fro example.  Are they really so dispensable?  I'd have thought they ought to be high on the list of vital workers.  No?

29 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

In the weirdest way possible, I kind of respect him. If I had the platform he has to consistently grift money from dimwits, I think I would.

Proper off topic, but I broadly agree. The likes of Farage, Robinson et al are almost geniuses in cornering the "dimwits" market. Shout, scream, appeal for support via financial means. Never need to pay for your legal support, never need to earn an honest living. The irony is that these people pray on others calling them out to be "sheep" (a la the virus etc.) Yet they can't see that they're actually sheep being used as cash cows to fund their hero's lifestyle.

• Like 2

I definitely support the motion of keeping schools and universities open. It is not ideal when trying to impose a lockdown but we have got to decide that is important and what is not. Education is very important, and I think we need to try and keep them going best we can. Parents should be allowed to withdraw their children if they feel necessary but stopping the education in it's tracks long term could have a hugely devastating impact on their futures. This virus will eventually pass, and we need to try our best to not allow the students futures to pass with it. 

On the back of the education thing, my OH had a situation where a kid went for a test and subsequently tested positive, but still went to an extra-curricular event whilst waiting for the result. It meant she had to isolate for two weeks, and I hit the fvcking roof. The lack of responsibility from a 15-YO, the utter disregard for any decent parenting skills from the mum and dad who thought it was acceptable to still send him. Outrageous.

I've heard of another school who can't afford the hand sanitizer so they're now diluting what they have left. Again, not indicative of all places, but it's by no means easy for anyone.

If schools did shut, many places would be far better prepared for virtual learning than they were in March. Indeed, from what I've picked up, ways of learning, homework have been forever changed by this virus... for the better. It's no substitute for the real classroom setting, but don't let anyone tell you that the closure of schools and colleges means dossing on XBox for everyone. And for those who do dos on their Xbox, that comes back to the responsibility of the parents.

There are kids and young people desperate to learn and do their work, open or closed. Schools are better prepared for any closure than before. The teachers seem to be being used as glorified babysitters, and yet I still do sort of understand why they, along with unis, have been kept open.

25 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Proper off topic, but I broadly agree. The likes of Farage, Robinson et al are almost geniuses in cornering the "dimwits" market. Shout, scream, appeal for support via financial means. Never need to pay for your legal support, never need to earn an honest living. The irony is that these people pray on others calling them out to be "sheep" (a la the virus etc.) Yet they can't see that they're actually sheep being used as cash cows to fund their hero's lifestyle.

The Most Interesting Man In The World Meme - Imgflip

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

On the back of the education thing, my OH had a situation where a kid went for a test and subsequently tested positive, but still went to an extra-curricular event whilst waiting for the result. It meant she had to isolate for two weeks, and I hit the fvcking roof. The lack of responsibility from a 15-YO, the utter disregard for any decent parenting skills from the mum and dad who thought it was acceptable to still send him. Outrageous.

I've heard of another school who can't afford the hand sanitizer so they're now diluting what they have left. Again, not indicative of all places, but it's by no means easy for anyone.

If schools did shut, many places would be far better prepared for virtual learning than they were in March. Indeed, from what I've picked up, ways of learning, homework have been forever changed by this virus... for the better. It's no substitute for the real classroom setting, but don't let anyone tell you that the closure of schools and colleges means dossing on XBox for everyone. And for those who do dos on their Xbox, that comes back to the responsibility of the parents.

There are kids and young people desperate to learn and do their work, open or closed. Schools are better prepared for any closure than before. The teachers seem to be being used as glorified babysitters, and yet I still do sort of understand why they, along with unis, have been kept open.

Problem is that the best way of controlling 10 million school children is to do it in a 99% controlled environment. If we shut the schools down, how many of those pupils will be left unsupervised and how many situations would go unnoticed or ignored, the very fact that you found out about those examples means that it is in the public domain which is what you need in order to control something and i'm sorry to say, but teachers have been glorified babysitters for many years.   

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Do you count as a genius if you can only fool the stupid? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

There's also a school of thought that education is important.  Certainly when a child wants time off for a holiday, every day of education is said to be vital.

It's a while since I was at school, so maybe things have changed.  If schooling is done at home, online, is it as easy for a teacher to ensure that the whole class is paying attention and working quietly?  Are all children sufficiently motivated to keep working when they don't have to?

I dare say the big question is, how important a job is teaching?  Obviously they aren't key workers like NHS or deliverymen or supermarket staff, but the trade union leaders appear to rank them as no more important than hairdressers and beauty parlours, fro example.  Are they really so dispensable?  I'd have thought they ought to be high on the list of vital workers.  No?

How important do you think teachers are?