Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 21/06/2020 at 11:36, st albans fox said:

What?????

That's the sort of thing we're looking at for how do you make it safe to open things," Hancock told Sky News' Sophy Ridge on Sunday.

"And things like wearing a face mask, which reduces the transmission clearly,

they spent months telling us the opposite ????

One thing upon which all the UK scientists, virologists et al from the outset agreed were of no value whatever and may even have been harmful .

Hancock has been pretty useless but the quality of the UK scientific advice has not been too stellar either 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53132225

That's all rather saddening, really.

This is absolutely terrible and very tragic in countries with such vast populations and huge disparity between the rich and the poor. The whole pandemic comes down to consequences though, making decisions to limit the impact to the economy by not having a lockdown or strict social distancing and there's a situation where the infection rates spiral out of control and the health services become overwhelmed and huge amounts of people get seriously ill and die. On the other end of the scale lockdown is implemented and the economy is eradicated where the knock on effect will be felt for years to come and the deaths and poorer quality of life will reach far more than those who'd have been seriously ill or impacted by coronavirus.

My father-in-law says we have sacrificed the future of the young to protect the elderly and vulnerable in a situation where there can't be a 100% happy ending and the way we have gone about it has neither been proactive or in favour of keeping the economy running to protect the country long term and I can't help but feel he is right when I think about it. It's a horrible situation for the world to be in, easy to criticize with hindsight but things definitely could have been done more swiftly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Lowest daily figure since the start...

I saw the graphic and saw 958 and was like what the actual fvck has happened here then?! 

Then realised I looked at the wrong column lol

• Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/coronavirus-outbreak-leicestershire-biscuit-factory-4246862

Coronavirus 'outbreak' at Leicestershire biscuit factory which supplies McVities

One employee said five people from one team had tested positive this week

Amy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter

18:08, 22 JUN 2020

Pladis, Canal Street, South Wigston

A coronavirus 'outbreak' is being investigated at a Leicestershire biscuit factory that supplies McVities, a worker has told LeicestershireLive.

The employee - who wanted to remain anonymous - said colleagues at the South Wigston Pladis factory were worried about going to work given the situation.

A spokesperson for Public Health England said: "Public Health England is aware of the cases of Covid-19 in staff members at the Pladis Factory in South Wigston and supporting the companies involved."

A spokesperson for the firm confirmed it had been in touch with local health authorities this week.

They said that safety measures are in place and self-isolating staff receive full pay.

He added: "Like many businesses, we have experienced a relatively small number of positive cases of Covid-19 among our colleagues," but said he could not confirm numbers.

"In addition to actively engaging with our local Public Health England representatives, we have implemented our own test and trace procedure if or when one of our colleagues test positive. We continue to tell our people to stay at home if they display any symptoms and we continue to pay full pay for those self-isolating, including those awaiting test results," he said.

The employeewho did not want to be named, said that they believe at least five staff from one team at the Pladis factory on Canal Street - which manufactures for McVities - who have tested positive for the virus this week.

Pladis supplies McVities

The employee said: “Most workers have no option but to risk going into work, also the factory employees are lot of BAME workers who are more at risk and many are from deprived areas.

“Shouldn’t the firm consider its workforce? It is putting it’s staff who are mainly women of ethnic backgrounds at risk.”

They added: “Workers are scared to take time off, management are company motivated, the factory has remained open throughout lockdown and they just keep going.

“The screens put in place to keep workers apart are actually a space constraint which could lead to injuries when trying to work”

The employee, who is part of the factory's 250 strong workforce, said they were prompted to get in touch with LeicestershireLive after reading about the local spike in cases, revealed by Health Secretary Matt Hancock at Thursday's daily briefing.

A spokesperson for Pladis said: “Nothing is more important than the health and safety of our people, and over the last few months we’ve followed all the official advice, stepped up our cleaning regime throughout our site and put in place comprehensive social distancing measures.

“We do not comment on individual cases. However, we can confirm that we are being open and transparent with our colleagues if and when a colleague reports a confirmed case of Covid-19.

“We have been in regular contact with the local health protection team this week, including today (Friday), and we are following all official guidelines.”

The spokesperson also listed social distancing measures undertaken at the site, which include screening, barriers, staggering start times to prevent crowds of workers arriving at the same time, staff don’t need to clock in and out to avoid congestion and hand sanitising stations have been significantly increased across the site.

He added: “Face coverings have been made available to all employees and visitors and we have also opened four pop-up canteens to ensure social distancing.

“ The site is closed at weekends, enabling a deep clean of the site and a all colleagues and visitors are instructed not to enter the site if they have any symptoms. Colleagues who are self-isolating receive full pay to ensure they feel no pressure to be at the site while unwell.”

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

South Korea reporting a second wave of infections. Doesn't bode well for our recent good news. 

They’ve had a total of 20k cases with 300 new cases in the last few days. Its being reported as a second wave, which it may well be but so far it seems to be a ripple. They seem to know what they’re doing over there too, so I wouldn’t expect too much to come of it. 

1 minute ago, Wet Trump said:

They’ve had a total of 20k cases with 300 new cases in the last few days. Its being reported as a second wave, which it may well be but so far it seems to be a ripple. They seem to know what they’re doing over there too, so I wouldn’t expect too much to come of it. 

Which makes it worrying for us because we've got no ****ing clue what we're doing hahaha. 

• Like 1

Have I missed something or are people now allowed in each other’s cars? Was out today and then went to Tesco on the way back, around 7:30 and I saw at least 4 cars full of teenagers. They were just acting like normal so all pissing about in the big car park. I was actually ****ing furious and wanted to knock them all out. Makes a mockery of the whole thing, also knowing they are all going back to their individual families.

1 minute ago, Wet Trump said:

I think it;s just because it's in Seoul. It's a really small outbreak at the moment. If you had they same numbers in a small town they'd just quarantine the town and no one would call it a second wave. Just a small, local outbreak.

It's much harder to shut down districts of Seoul though, people move in and out all the time and the amount who'd flee to friends and family outside the city if you only quarantined the biggest city/capital, so I guess they have no choice to go back into lock-down for a couple of weeks to get rid of it.

I guess it just shows where an outbreak happens will be as important as the number of people testing positive going forward,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/coronavirus-outbreak-leicestershire-biscuit-factory-4246862

Coronavirus 'outbreak' at Leicestershire biscuit factory which supplies McVities

One employee said five people from one team had tested positive this week

Amy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter

18:08, 22 JUN 2020

Pladis, Canal Street, South Wigston

A coronavirus 'outbreak' is being investigated at a Leicestershire biscuit factory that supplies McVities, a worker has told LeicestershireLive.

The employee - who wanted to remain anonymous - said colleagues at the South Wigston Pladis factory were worried about going to work given the situation.

A spokesperson for Public Health England said: "Public Health England is aware of the cases of Covid-19 in staff members at the Pladis Factory in South Wigston and supporting the companies involved."

A spokesperson for the firm confirmed it had been in touch with local health authorities this week.

They said that safety measures are in place and self-isolating staff receive full pay.

He added: "Like many businesses, we have experienced a relatively small number of positive cases of Covid-19 among our colleagues," but said he could not confirm numbers.

"In addition to actively engaging with our local Public Health England representatives, we have implemented our own test and trace procedure if or when one of our colleagues test positive. We continue to tell our people to stay at home if they display any symptoms and we continue to pay full pay for those self-isolating, including those awaiting test results," he said.

The employeewho did not want to be named, said that they believe at least five staff from one team at the Pladis factory on Canal Street - which manufactures for McVities - who have tested positive for the virus this week.

Pladis supplies McVities

The employee said: “Most workers have no option but to risk going into work, also the factory employees are lot of BAME workers who are more at risk and many are from deprived areas.

“Shouldn’t the firm consider its workforce? It is putting it’s staff who are mainly women of ethnic backgrounds at risk.”

They added: “Workers are scared to take time off, management are company motivated, the factory has remained open throughout lockdown and they just keep going.

“The screens put in place to keep workers apart are actually a space constraint which could lead to injuries when trying to work”

The employee, who is part of the factory's 250 strong workforce, said they were prompted to get in touch with LeicestershireLive after reading about the local spike in cases, revealed by Health Secretary Matt Hancock at Thursday's daily briefing.

A spokesperson for Pladis said: “Nothing is more important than the health and safety of our people, and over the last few months we’ve followed all the official advice, stepped up our cleaning regime throughout our site and put in place comprehensive social distancing measures.

“We do not comment on individual cases. However, we can confirm that we are being open and transparent with our colleagues if and when a colleague reports a confirmed case of Covid-19.

“We have been in regular contact with the local health protection team this week, including today (Friday), and we are following all official guidelines.”

The spokesperson also listed social distancing measures undertaken at the site, which include screening, barriers, staggering start times to prevent crowds of workers arriving at the same time, staff don’t need to clock in and out to avoid congestion and hand sanitising stations have been significantly increased across the site.

He added: “Face coverings have been made available to all employees and visitors and we have also opened four pop-up canteens to ensure social distancing.

“ The site is closed at weekends, enabling a deep clean of the site and a all colleagues and visitors are instructed not to enter the site if they have any symptoms. Colleagues who are self-isolating receive full pay to ensure they feel no pressure to be at the site while unwell.”

That’s not good, ive heard similar from one of my mums neighbours. So similar in fact I think I know who called the Mercury lol 

I lasted 2 minutes then gave up watching that vid. We're doing about 140k tests a day as it stands and we've completed more tests than anyone else in Europe.

It's been said a thousand times, if we stay like this much longer, businesses will fold, people will be laid off etc. I've got self employed mates who haven't been able to claim a penny from the Government, who haven't been paid for 3 months, how much longer do we expect them to live on their savings? They'll be on the streets by October if this carries on.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Big news that the number of new infections has dropped below 1000. Only 15 deaths too. Looks like these protests haven't really resulted in a spike (overall when you look at the whole country). Makes me think that we'll be back to normal (or the new normal) in a few weeks.

They were never going to because they were held outdoors and this simply does not spread outdoors unless you literally cough in somebody's face! 

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think it;s just because it's in Seoul. It's a really small outbreak at the moment. If you had they same numbers in a small town they'd just quarantine the town and no one would call it a second wave. Just a small, local outbreak.

It's much harder to shut down districts of Seoul though, people move in and out all the time and the amount who'd flee to friends and family outside the city if you only quarantined the biggest city/capital, so I guess they have no choice to go back into lock-down for a couple of weeks to get rid of it.

I guess it just shows where an outbreak happens will be as important as the number of people testing positive going forward,

The positive is that these 'outbreaks' are now being identified. These were happening at the start of the first wave and nobody was picking them up and that's how it got out of control.

18 minutes ago, Lionator said:

They were never going to because they were held outdoors and this simply does not spread outdoors unless you literally cough in somebody's face! 

The positive is that these 'outbreaks' are now being identified. These were happening at the start of the first wave and nobody was picking them up and that's how it got out of control.

I think a lot suspected that but we weren't 100% sure, so it's good news.

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a crazily difficult situation and one that could have been avoided had we locked down 2 weeks before and quarantined travel in my opinion.

Yeah I've never understood why we didn't quarantine when everyone else did, one mistake the Government definitely did make.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Big news that the number of new infections has dropped below 1000. Only 15 deaths too. Looks like these protests haven't really resulted in a spike (overall when you look at the whole country). Makes me think that we'll be back to normal (or the new normal) in a few weeks.

The problem with this virus from the start is that a huge amount of people (some quote 80%) catch it with little or no symptoms. Until it spreads wider and more susceptible people catch it, you won't see the consequences in the population.

This is why we are in a latency period. But the second wave is coming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think a lot suspected that but we weren't 100% sure, so it's good news.

Yeah I've never understood why we didn't quarantine when everyone else did, one mistake the Government definitely did make.

Because there was no appetite to quarantine or lockdown early. It was just flu remember...

Edited by simFox

7 minutes ago, simFox said:

The problem with this virus from the start is that a huge amount of people (some quote 80%) catch it with little or no symptoms. Until it spreads wider and more susceptible people catch it, you won't see the consequences in the population.

This is why we are in a latency period. But the second wave is coming. 

We haven't really seen any second waves in other countries that have opened up though, not saying you're wrong, but at the minute everything seems to be going ok, although this could be due to a number of factors like the weather etc.

5 minutes ago, simFox said:

Because there was no appetite to quarantine or lockdown early. It was just flu remember...

It wasn't just the flu in April though, when we were all told to stay indoors etc. We should have been quarantining people flying into the country from then.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

London very quiet on the covid front. :beer:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

South Korea reporting a second wave of infections. Doesn't bode well for our recent good news. 

4 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

To clarify all this...

Talk of a "second wave", while true, is rather overdramatised. It did all begin in early May with the whole Itaewon fiasco after it seemed things had really calmed down, but what it has been is a consistent stream of 40-60 cases per day (sometimes higher, sometimes lower, 17 yesterday) that have popped up in various areas and are being targetted as they arise. Considering it's a country of over 50 million people, the current methods seem to be at least reasonably effective in making sure this is much more of a bump than an actual wave. Of course, Seoul now being involved complicates matters, but it's easier to lock down specific districts of it than you might think given the organisation over here.

The bad news is that, yes, it's likely going to be around for quite some time so long as it is business as usual over here - unless there is a lot of luck involved or when the vaccine is rolled out.

NB. To break down the overall numbers, as of yesterday Korea has had 12,438 cases total, of which around 1,600 have come about since this "second wave" began. Incidentally, Korea never really had a full "lockdown" in the way other countries did - certain business and schools were shuttered, but outside of certain areas most people still have been able to come and go as they please for the entirety of this.

This is proof that you shouldn’t rely on science all of the time 

max is a nurse

Several months ago he lost his sense of taste and smell, however back then these were not seen as official symptoms of the virus.  
So because he didn't have a cough or temperature, he "followed the rules, went back to work and wasn't offered a test".
This meant the 27-year-old came into contact with up to 100 patients a week.

it was well documented that younger people especially were suffering with a loss of state and smell when exposed to the virus. But the science would want to make studies to prove this and several months later they had their evidence and it was added to symptoms. The politicians should have taken control of this and used common sense at the time!!!!!!!  Exactly what was there to lose???  At the very least, NHS frontline staff should have been told to isolate and get a test if they had this symptom.