Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It isn't his word!  Clearly here you've got the opinions of three scientists 

Science is not about 'opinion'. 

Here, this is for you -

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/logical-fallacies/confirmation-bias-logical-fallacies/

What next, Andrew Wakefield reviews the Pfizer vaccination? David Irving on anti semitism in the labour party? 

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

So we're supposed to live in fear for the rest of our lives? Okay. 

That really isn't what he said at all. You are completely misinterpreting what he said. Frankly if this whole thing means that people wash their hands after going to the toilet on a regular basis or if people and bosses can accept that people really shouldn't be coming to work with snot running out of their noses or that people who have a cough decide to wear a mask on the London underground then that won't be a bad thing will it?

Stop trying to sensationalise everything. He didn't say you need to live in fear for the rest of your life though you can if you want to. The rest of us can just get on with living.

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Science is not about 'opinion'. 

Here, this is for you -

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/logical-fallacies/confirmation-bias-logical-fallacies/

What next, Andrew Wakefield reviews the Pfizer vaccination? David Irving on anti semitism in the labour party? 

Confirmation bias has been rife in press conference after press conference ever since the summer.  Backed up with outrageous modelling. 

Today's parting shot being take the vaccine or else live under constant restrictions.  That's not the way to convey the message or bring people on board.  

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Regular hand washing and using masks when you’re ill is living in fear? It’s common practice in East Asia and has been for years. 

Take your silly hat off for a minute and think about what you’re being hysterical about mate.

When we start eating bats and pangolins, maybe we should start taking a leaf out of east Asia’s book on how to protect yourself from viruses that are bourne from unhygienic food consumption practices but until then, maybe it would be best not to allow anyone from that part of the world to be able to visit this country and let us get back to being able to be free not to wear masks.

37 minutes ago, reynard said:

That really isn't what he said at all. You are completely misinterpreting what he said. Frankly if this whole thing means that people wash their hands after going to the toilet on a regular basis or if people and bosses can accept that people really shouldn't be coming to work with snot running out of their noses or that people who have a cough decide to wear a mask on the London underground then that won't be a bad thing will it?

Stop trying to sensationalise everything. He didn't say you need to live in fear for the rest of your life though you can if you want to. The rest of us can just get on with living.

But Living aint half scary....innit..!!!

54 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Confirmation bias has been rife in press conference after press conference ever since the summer.  Backed up with outrageous modelling. 

As I said - known science is not about either that or the ridiculous video you posted. 

What 'outrageous modelling" are you referring to in particular? 

56 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Today's parting shot being take the vaccine or else live under constant restrictions.  That's not the way to convey the message or bring people on board.  

What?

55 minutes ago, BrokenRecord said:

Meanwhile in Taiwan they're living life pretty much as close to normal as they can, and the same in Korea. But hey, let's not listen to the silly Asians, we know better because we're British! Everyone in Asia is filthy and just eats anything they come across on the side of the road right? Hate to tell you mate but most of them have more respect for where they live and the people around them than the people of this shit hole island do. 

There's been so much casual stereotyping of East Asian folks in this thread - either what you've said or the "obedient automaton" stereotype.

Not only is it inaccurate, it's also unoriginal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Recently found out that my team at work (working from home since just before the first lockdown was announced) will be working from home permanently and our employer cut the lease on the offices we were working at. The service we provide hasn't been compromised in the slightest working remotely, in fact I'd say we're more efficient now, and pre-COVID none of us would have imagined that - very few staff were ever permitted to work from home and it'd only be under certain circumstances. The positives massively outweigh the negatives - it's an hour and a half not wasting time commuting, not having to pay for parking or roughly £7 of fuel every day, and obviously the environmental effect that has

Has anyone else been forced to work from home, and will continue to work from home even when coronavirus is no longer a factor?

Would be a real blow for me if I was in that position.

Ultimately we're all human beings and operate differently. I have been allowed to go into the office twice per week (except in national lockdowns) and coming out of this last lockdown, I found myself getting really dragged down in my work and my productivity plummeted. I had my first day back in the office today and went through my to do list like a hot knife through butter.

For me there's a sort of adrenaline that comes with being in the work place that I struggle to replicate at home.

Thankfully for me it seems the most likely scenario will be that I'll have the flexibility to work from home or come in to the office. Given the choice I think I'd probably do 3 or 4 days from the office, depending on how busy I was in a given week.

As with many things in life it's just great to have the option. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Van Tam pretty much said that at the end of his segment.  Have a listen.

There's a huge difference between actually saying it and pretty much saying it. 

But it's true. People either take this vaccine to beat the virus or cope with constant restrictions to manage the virus. 

8 hours ago, BrokenRecord said:

Meanwhile in Taiwan they're living life pretty much as close to normal as they can, and the same in Korea. But hey, let's not listen to the silly Asians, we know better because we're British! Everyone in Asia is filthy and just eats anything they come across on the side of the road right? Hate to tell you mate but most of them have more respect for where they live and the people around them than the people of this shit hole island do. 

They're not living a normal life though are they, they're all walking around wearing masks.

23 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

They're not living a normal life though are they, they're all walking around wearing masks.

Only if you define normal relative to the behaviour of people in WEIRD (Western, educated, industrialized, rich, and democratic) societies. 

9 hours ago, BrokenRecord said:

Shit hole island?  Jesus this is one of the best places on earth to live.  Idiot.

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

We are not a society of children, the realities of this opportunity should not be watered down with gentle tummy rubs for the vocal minority who feel their liberty is being impaired in some way, and it is not as if they do not have alternatives to taking the vaccine is it?

• Like 1

It seems to me the reason we have been able to approve this quickly is because the MRHA we have been working very closely with the vaccine developers and their test data through the trials, not waiting till the end and then starting to look at it.  A sensible approach which has paid off.  Maybe the other vaccine makers have been slower to share their data?  We bet on this horse early on and this has probably paid off in terms of access to triap data.

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Weve closed our borders... he aint getting in anytime soon ;)

It was a pure coincidence that we closed them for "Covid" at about the same time we realised @Jon the Hatwas trying to get in lol

Haha.  I have permanent residency so we can still come.  House sale is going through at the moment, but delaying the move until September next year so my daughter can finish the school year here.

And I have said before, we are moving because my wife wants to go home, and I am happy to go too.  Fortunately Australia is also one of the best places in the world to live :)

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 3