Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Having seen him in the kickboxing films, I’d be inclined to do exactly what I’m told.

At what age will you grow up?lol

Will give my two cents on the vaccine, I'm 50/50 on whether people should be excluded from stuff for not having taken it and I think it's only right that people are slightly wary about it. However, there's probably about the same chance of catching Coronavirus and being seriously harmed or killed from it than there is from having harm come to you due to the vaccine (for my age group anyway mid 20s), for older people they'll obviously stand better odds against the vaccine than they will Coronavirus. Due to my age I'll be one of the last one to get the vaccine (if at all), so it's not something I need to worry about at the minute.

On a slightly related note it's wonderful that we've now actually got multiple vaccines for this and a great show of what the scientific world can achieve when they put their minds to it. Hopefully in 6 months time we'll be back to living normally with only one or two restrictions still in place. I can't wait to just decide at the last minute if I want to go out for a meal or a few beers, or book a last minute holiday and fly off around the world. All of these things I've done for a long time and have taken for granted.

:englandsmile4wf::beer::banana:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Will give my two cents on the vaccine, I'm 50/50 on whether people should be excluded from stuff for not having taken it and I think it's only right that people are slightly wary about it. However, there's probably about the same chance of catching Coronavirus and being seriously harmed or killed from it than there is from having harm come to you due to the vaccine (for my age group anyway mid 20s), for older people they'll obviously stand better odds against the vaccine than they will Coronavirus. Due to my age I'll be one of the last one to get the vaccine (if at all), so it's not something I need to worry about at the minute.

On a slightly related note it's wonderful that we've now actually got multiple vaccines for this and a great show of what the scientific world can achieve when they put their minds to it. Hopefully in 6 months time we'll be back to living normally with only one or two restrictions still in place. I can't wait to just decide at the last minute if I want to go out for a meal or a few beers, or book a last minute holiday and fly off around the world. All of these things I've done for a long time and have taken for granted.

When they're adequately funded, you mean.

If money and political will was no object, science would make the world change this fast much more regularly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah, it sounds like I'm saying normally they aren't trying, but I meant when they're given free rein.

Much obliged for the clarification.

Now let's apply a similar approach to spaceflight and to addressing climate change (one way or another), please.

52 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Hopefully never.

I’m softening on the idea of taking the vaccine. There must be at least 40 million people in the queue before me and if their skin doesn’t go all green and bubbly by then I’ll shut up and take it.

21 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Hopefully never.

I’m softening on the idea of taking the vaccine. There must be at least 40 million people in the queue before me and if their skin doesn’t go all green and bubbly by then I’ll shut up and take it.

women who are pregnant and kids under the age of 16 won't take it so thats about 20+ million people ruled out

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

women who are pregnant and kids under the age of 16 won't take it so thats about 20+ million people ruled out

Very true, will fully expect to see pictures of @Strokes having been turned into raging covid Hulk in no time at all

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Much obliged for the clarification.

Now let's apply a similar approach to spaceflight and to addressing climate change (one way or another), please.

We can't address climate change, we can make for a cleaner environment, but we ain't going to stop the planet warming up because that's what it does, it either warms up or cools down, there isn't a point somewhere in the middle.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

We can't address climate change, we can make for a cleaner environment, but we ain't going to stop the planet warming up because that's what it does, it either warms up or cools down, there isn't a point somewhere in the middle.

We are not talking about natural climate changes, rather the rapid and exponential pace of anthropogenic climate change.

If you wish to dispute that, far from derailing this thread,  I'll willingly see you here... 

Come prepared. 

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Can’t work out if we rushed to give vaccine approval just so that we could trumpet being the first to roll it out or whether the likes of the EU and USA are just jealous that we beat them to it 

I'm worried it's the former.

5 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Can’t work out if we rushed to give vaccine approval just so that we could trumpet being the first to roll it out or whether the likes of the EU and USA are just jealous that we beat them to it 

How many governments do you think will not approve it?  If one government is a few days or weeks later than another, it's because they haven't ticked the boxes fast enough, not because they haven't done the tests.  I don't think governments are testing anything - they're just auditing the manufacturers' figures.

If our government was skimping tests it would be worrying .  If they're just auditing faster, I have no worries.

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

As Line-X said, we can address man-caused climate change, and we can also prepare for the consequences of a higher overall global temperature, which won't necessarily be pleasant.

Right now, we are doing neither at the level they need to be.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/03/exclusive-vaccine-wont-free-self-isolation-says-government/

'Coronavirus vaccine won't free you from self-isolation, says Government '

Fvck that, if the vaccine is freely available I'm not self isolating to protect those that choose not to receive the vaccine.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Fvck that, if the vaccine is freely available I'm not self isolating to protect those that choose not to receive the vaccine.

It rather depends on to what degree the vaccine protects against infection. At one extreme it may protect people from getting infected with the virus entirely, so vaccinated people would not become infectious. This is known as sterilising immunity, and is achieved, I believe by the measles vaccine.

At the other extreme the vaccine might prevent people from getting symptoms but not from getting infected and therefore potentially infectious. In this case vaccinated people could become asymptomatic spreaders.

Everything I’ve read suggests that they simply don’t know the answer at present. Quite possible that it’s somewhere in between. In other words vaccinated people will be protected from developing symptoms and will not be as infectious as they would otherwise have been.

This is very important because as the vaccine is rolled out, the large number of people who have not yet have received it would potentially be at risk from vaccinated people acting as asymptomatic spreaders. Until more is known, or everyone is vaccinated, I can see why they’d still want vaccinated people to follow the rules.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Anyone get the impression what Fauci was trying to say is America has so many Antivaxxer idiiots that if they passed the vaccine quickly they would never get the take up they need?  Scary how much it has taken hold over there.

He was saying that being seen as rushing it risks putting people off. I'm confident in the vaccines, I'm not so confident our government hasn't sped up the process for political reasons. 

3 hours ago, bovril said:

He was saying that being seen as rushing it risks putting people off. I'm confident in the vaccines, I'm not so confident our government hasn't sped up the process for political reasons. 

It would be a monumental own goal for any drug company to allow that to happen. Governments do not have more say on this than drug companies. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So we've ordered TV is vaccine from. America, what are America waiting for? Will they potentially change or alter the vaccine before they approve it? 

Maybe it's because they need much higher numbers.