Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Maybe ours was particularly wasteful, but I think there'd be plenty of others like it and some probably even worse

Your average house also won't have 2 lifts running all day every day, power assisted doors, automatic doors, emergency lighting throughout the building. We also previously had 2 extra computers permanently left on for use as our database server and file-sharing, and we've worked out systems that bypasses the need for those so that's more energy saved.

In an average day at home, I've got the computer on, a lamp (if it's dark like now) and I'll boil the kettle twice. Might stick the heating on for an hour or so now it's getting cold, but any other power (WiFi router, fridge) would have been on if I was at work anyway

I suppose I'm thinking of my office and extending it across all businesses; when I think about it, I dare say its atypical.  Lifts?  Power assisted doors?  Emergency lighting?  It's like living in the 21st century!  None of that at our place!  :colder:

4 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Recently found out that my team at work (working from home since just before the first lockdown was announced) will be working from home permanently and our employer cut the lease on the offices we were working at. The service we provide hasn't been compromised in the slightest working remotely, in fact I'd say we're more efficient now, and pre-COVID none of us would have imagined that - very few staff were ever permitted to work from home and it'd only be under certain circumstances. The positives massively outweigh the negatives - it's an hour and a half not wasting time commuting, not having to pay for parking or roughly £7 of fuel every day, and obviously the environmental effect that has

Has anyone else been forced to work from home, and will continue to work from home even when coronavirus is no longer a factor?

I suspect the same will happen with my work as this has been the rumour pre Covid anyway.

Anyone had any negative impacts? I’ve got back problems because I’m constantly in the same position all day.

31 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I suspect the same will happen with my work as this has been the rumour pre Covid anyway.

Anyone had any negative impacts? I’ve got back problems because I’m constantly in the same position all day.

I think your workplace is supposed to supply you with equipment that supports your posture, so if you're having problems get in touch with HR and they should help you source a better chair (and desk if necessary)

Otherwise getting out of your seat every hour for a few minutes should help

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I suppose I'm thinking of my office and extending it across all businesses; when I think about it, I dare say its atypical.  Lifts?  Power assisted doors?  Emergency lighting?  It's like living in the 21st century!  None of that at our place!  :colder:

Yeah I visited Burnley about 3 years ago, I think electricity was quite a new idea then lol 

• Haha 3

On the working from home thing my motivation has hit an all time low, I need to be back in the office and around people. I need the routine of getting my arse out of bed and into work in the morning. I consider myself a bit of an introvert but this has been too much even for me.

49 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I think your workplace is supposed to supply you with equipment that supports your posture, so if you're having problems get in touch with HR and they should help you source a better chair (and desk if necessary)

Otherwise getting out of your seat every hour for a few minutes should help

Yeah I’ve now got a back support but like you say, I need to get up once an hour and properly stretch off till it calms down a bit.

Doesnt help when I sometimes have 3 hours straight of meetings, although they have sent out guidance which says not to do that 

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I’ve now got a back support but like you say, I need to get up once an hour and properly stretch off till it calms down a bit.

Doesnt help when I sometimes have 3 hours straight of meetings, although they have sent out guidance which says not to do that 

Make all your meetings 45 minutes.  You get just as much done.

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“We have been able to authorise the supply of this vaccine using provisions under European law which exist until 1 January."

“Our speed, or our progress, has been totally dependent on the availability of data in our rolling review and the rigorous assessment and independent advice we have received."

“So I hope that clarifies the point about the European relationship.”

Great that we have a vaccine that can be deployed ASAP, bad that it's already been turned into a political instrument. In fact the way the Government is trying to pat themselves on the back for a vaccine developed in Germany leaves a bad taste.

Anyway the sooner we can beat this virus and get back to arguing about playing 3 at the back at home to Fulham, the better!

Its ridiculous and pointless isnt it? Theres not even a need to point score, people are happy its been approved so why cant he just celebrate that fact rather than (incorrectly) saying its due to Brexit?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“We have been able to authorise the supply of this vaccine using provisions under European law which exist until 1 January."

“Our speed, or our progress, has been totally dependent on the availability of data in our rolling review and the rigorous assessment and independent advice we have received."

“So I hope that clarifies the point about the European relationship.”

Great that we have a vaccine that can be deployed ASAP, bad that it's already been turned into a political instrument. In fact the way the Government is trying to pat themselves on the back for a vaccine developed in Germany leaves a bad taste.

Anyway the sooner we can beat this virus and get back to arguing about playing 3 at the back at home to Fulham, the better!

And there's me thinking point scoring wasn't allowed! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Its ridiculous and pointless isnt it? Theres not even a need to point score, people are happy its been approved so why cant he just celebrate that fact rather than (incorrectly) saying its due to Brexit?

Hmmm & i wonder how it would have panned out if it was actually 'held up' because we had left the EU, i think we would probably be hearing sound of kerching kerching kerching as the points racked up

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Get that vaccine rolled out and quickly please.

Butlins 80s weekend in September 2021 and I'd like to be able to give some late 40s/early 50s MILF exactly what she desires.

Loads of grandchildren, a tattoo, and a fake tan? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Make all your meetings 45 minutes.  You get just as much done.

That’s an excellent suggestion, I’d make them all 0 if it was up to me but I rarely book them in.

The ones I have are usually 30 mins Max unless it’s something non work related.

48 minutes ago, Line-X said:

giphy.gif

I'm sure at least one of us is spectacularly missing the point here.  When I said we've had electricity since 1996, I was actually making a joke.  Did you not think it was funny?  Did you think it was simple statement of fact?  Or did you fail to see it was a joke at all, thus making a fine "whoosh"?  :dunno: