Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Despite a sharp increase worldwide in the rate of infections over the last couple of months, there seems to have been no corresponding increase so far in the death rate, even allowing for a lag. Some of this is probably explained by increased testing rates, but I do think that the medical profession have learned a great deal about this infection and are now better able to treat it.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

Welp. Sister-in-law's dad taken in over night with suspected rona. Dudes got more medical conditions than I can count. :(

And just read in the news cases in Victoria, kangeroo land are rising. Where my sister works as a nurse. 

What a great Monday. Pffft. :nigel:

Edited by Innovindil

25 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Welp. Sister-in-law's dad taken in over night with suspected rona. Dudes got more medical conditions than I can count. :(

And just read in the news cases in Victoria, kangeroo land are rising. Where my sister works as a nurse. 

It’s when I see personal messages like this that it really hits home the difficulties families are facing throughout the world.

I won’t be the only person to say “good luck” with the outcomes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Cases in Victoria are on the rise, but not on a level with England at present. We had 127 new cases today, which is out highest ever, but we are quickly closing down suburbs and estates where there are cases and trying to get on top of it.

Hope the father in law goes okay and next time your chatting to your sister tell her she’s amazing and we all really appreciate her work!

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Cases in Victoria are on the rise, but not on a level with England at present. We had 127 new cases today, which is out highest ever, but we are quickly closing down suburbs and estates where there are cases and trying to get on top of it.

Hope the father in law goes okay and next time your chatting to your sister tell her she’s amazing and we all really appreciate her work!

This has the potential to get quite serious. They’d probably be best to go to a Victoria wide lockdown straight away. Experience elsewhere shows that early action is key to retaining control. Waiting until it seems reasonable is too late.

Which state are you in?

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This has the potential to get quite serious. They’d probably be best to go to a Victoria wide lockdown straight away. Experience elsewhere shows that early action is key to retaining control. Waiting until it seems reasonable is too late.

Which state are you in?

I’m in Victoria, so it’s quite close to home. I imagine with the numbers today, a state wide lockdown will be in force in the next few days.

I think they are really trying to avoid that situation and locking down individual areas, but whilst people are still going to work, supermarkets etc then it will contributor spread in bigger numbers.

Edited by Aus Fox

16 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I think they are really trying to avoid that situation and licking down individual areas, but whilst people are still going to work, supermarkets etc then it will contributor spread in bigger numbers.

Think we've identified the reason for the spike in cases.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I’m in Victoria, so it’s quite close to home. I imagine with the numbers today, a state wide lockdown will be in force in the next few days.

I think they are really trying to avoid that situation and locking down individual areas, but whilst people are still going to work, supermarkets etc then it will contributor spread in bigger numbers.

Yes, I can see that they’d rather not lock down the whole state, but unfortunately if they delay community infection will probably spread outside the currently locked area before they realise. Hopefully it will stay contained, and there won’t be too much fatality. As I mentioned earlier, I think treatments have improved since earlier in the year and the case fatality rate doesn’t seem to be so bad now.

19 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Mr. Hancock is concerned about certain factory practices in the city.

Perhaps he has a point, as heard some bad stories about certain Leicester company's culture within its mass workplace environments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53297782

He may be concerned but his actions dont show that.  Only one factory potentially having action taken against out of 17 contacted, only 3 visits.

Also I see he continues to mislead with the triple case rate claim.

I contacted the bbc about this article last night, asking them to fact check minister statements.

Edited by Chrysalis

10 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

He may be concerned but his actions dont show that.  Only one factory potentially having action taken against out of 17 contacted, only 3 visits.

Also I see he continues to mislead with the triple case rate claim.

I contacted the bbc about this article last night, asking them to fact check minister statements.

Surely this is a local government issue? Not a big fan of the blame central government for everything, this just sounds like inept local government.

19 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Despite a sharp increase worldwide in the rate of infections over the last couple of months, there seems to have been no corresponding increase so far in the death rate, even allowing for a lag. Some of this is probably explained by increased testing rates, but I do think that the medical profession have learned a great deal about this infection and are now better able to treat it.

I reckon, the virus might have weakened to, were in March you might of been really ill, now it doesn’t seem as much lethal, 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Channel 4 did something on the dodgy factory practices in Leicester years ago didnt they? I dont think this is a stone that's only just been turned.

Channel 4, the Mercury and the FT have all investigated it in the last two or three years.

On 05/07/2020 at 20:50, Wymsey said:

Mr. Hancock is concerned about certain factory practices in the city.

Perhaps he has a point, as heard some bad stories about certain Leicester company's culture within its mass workplace environments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53297782

We had Sweat shops in the Late 60s-70s...What have our politicians,Local und National been doing.

How can they despise and abuse our workers,or Immigrants their own workers in a civilised,educated,slavery hating but habital country...

And prats say we Dont Need Unions,or works councils....

Owners should be Made to Walk naked,through the city,Local politicians who have turned a blind eye, put in stocks...

Businessmen....Don t make me laugh, also neither Germany nor France come out of this clean....

The next movement call....Workers-lives matter.!!!

2020. Are the fathoms of crassness..Not the year....Zero Hour contracts...Food banks.

FFS..and We in Western Europe havent learnt from the past...I am ashamed for my war years generation parents..!!

In a few years,there will be a film Remake of Oliver, With 202xs has the period setting....!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

To be fair the scam the factories have going is a good one . They will have one unit all accredited pay the staff above minimum wage top notch health and safety. 

Then say they get an order for 10,000 units, 2000 will be made in the "good" factory and they will then farm the 8000 units out to the sweat shops. So unless you have some monitoring their in comings and outgoings 24/7 it's pretty hard to get on top of .

9 minutes ago, los dedos said:

To be fair the scam the factories have going is a good one . They will have one unit all accredited pay the staff above minimum wage top notch health and safety. 

Then say they get an order for 10,000 units, 2000 will be made in the "good" factory and they will then farm the 8000 units out to the sweat shops. So unless you have some monitoring their in comings and outgoings 24/7 it's pretty hard to get on top of .

By the sounds of if they are also paying everyone in an apparently legitimate way, but under recording their hours by more than half to get the true pay.

8 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Fair point.

Sometimes  I think people underestimate how smart semi-legal economic enterprise can be in terms of staying just ahead of the law. Most often the people running the show are clued up and either keep their hands clean or are connected with the right people, or both.

Perhaps I've been watching too many eps of The Wire again recently but I can see pretty easily how easily it would fly in real life and it's hardly a stretch to think that the corruption is there in at least some ways.

10 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Hey if you accept the Trotters,Philosophy and Business has been taken over from the del-boys of this world....What you Don t see,you Don t know..!!

Or in reality... 3rd Party people-traders..!!

There were Govt organisations that controlled such standards,Another example Grenfell towers,loopholes because govt Department After department and  Safety standards have been closed out,over 50+ years....

The Next Major catastrophe awaiting UK,will be either an Outbreak of a disease,or Building Collapse in one of our Schools.....Nobody is listening..!!

UK has become an ASBO dump,with many in the corridor of Power or business....

10 hours ago, Innovindil said:

All the best to him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely this is a local government issue? Not a big fan of the blame central government for everything, this just sounds like inept local government.

The council are not blameless I agree.  But I was commenting on Hancock's statement about the government action.

If there was any news from the council I try to comment on it as well, but most is coming from government side.

The mayor seems to have gone quiet as when he did reply to my email, it was merely a response please direct further questions to the government, and he gave me the link to the government document.  It was a kind of a pass the buck thing, and since then his public statements have been almost nothing.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1