Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Hardly panic mode; they locked down for five days and contained it.

Doesn't really seem too big a price to pay to maintain 'normal' and save a few thousand lives along the way.

It is a bit, one case and an area goes into a 5 day lockdown, if that’s the policy, what happens if they gat 100 cases? 

Edited by yorkie1999

51 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is the sort of opinion that stopped governments around the world responding as efficiently as necessary, too many governments were concerned about upsetting the many voters who would view early lockdowns in response to small case-loads as unnecessary because they can't see the harm that would otherwise have been caused.  That's why Ardern in NZ is so lauded, she had the guts to make an unpopular 'over-reacting' decision and it paid of massively.  But now that we've had a full year to see the harm caused by not acting swiftly and decisively surely most people now understand that 'over-reacting' is actually being pragmatic and acting with foresight.  We shouldn't need to have this discussion anymore.

Apparently not :(

The whole point is to crush the virus completely as quickly as possible, and get back to normal - the old normal, albeit in a walled garden. It really does work, we’ve had it for 9 months or more. Probably not possible in the UK though unfortunately.

Yes, I know I should be watching the match, but I have to wait till tomorrow to watch a recording with my dad. The first 20 mins didn’t look promising though :(

5 hours ago, reynard said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/09/australians-stranded-overseas-say-slashing-arrival-caps-makes-returning-home-near-impossible

Not popular obviously but Australia has restricted the number returning and made them go into enforced quarantine for 14 days.

Yesterday not a single case in Australia and 30000 fans allowed at the Australian Open.

I understand what you are saying but things can and have been done elsewhere in the world.

Is it an island?

13 hours ago, Super_horns said:
It is the mild variant but should this worry us if we have had the AZ vaccine ?

I think it should worry everyone who wants to get back to normal unfortunately. There's no point beating around the bush, its terrible news just as things were looking more positive. 

20 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I think it should worry everyone who wants to get back to normal unfortunately. There's no point beating around the bush, its terrible news just as things were looking more positive. 

I mean it literally says in the article that it still works to stop severe disease and death.

I don't mind locking down to reduce strain on the NHS and to reduce deaths, but I'll be buggered if I'm doing it to stop people getting a little bit ill. 

I'd happily get slightly ill with it myself if it meant returning to normal (or close to).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I mean it literally says in the article that it still works to stop severe disease and death.

I don't mind locking down to reduce strain on the NHS and to reduce deaths, but I'll be buggered if I'm doing it to stop people getting a little bit ill. 

I'd happily get slightly ill with it myself if it meant returning to normal (or close to).

To say nothing of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines still doing the job effectively, too. Two out of three still works provided the logistics are sound.

Edit: But this does illustrate the importance of getting vaccinations rolling in as many places as possible as fast as possible. Time is an opponent precisely because the virus can get tricky like this.

Edited by leicsmac

11 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I think the issue is that the people in the sample were all young and healthy so although none of them were seriously ill, there is no proof or even suggestion that the actual vulnerable groups are protected from hospitalisation.

16 hours ago, Super_horns said:
It is the mild variant but should this worry us if we have had the AZ vaccine ?

Fortunately someone has got hold of some of the actual data,  specifically the confidence intervals.   The actual data says that the vaccine has,  with 95% probability,  somewhere between 60% better and 50% worse with the vaccine as opposed to without it. 

That's the equivalent of predicting a club's points total for the season as being between 30 and 96.  So wide as to be useless. The test was too small scale and too short duration to be useful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I think the issue is that the people in the sample were all young and healthy so although none of them were seriously ill, there is no proof or even suggestion that the actual vulnerable groups are protected from hospitalisation.

I reckon all vulnerable People like myself, would be Happy for all venues and events to Open their Doors to all under 40s.

Let them Mix & have a Jolly normal life...You see even though I am older und have less Time on this planet than the under 40s,

I still have patience and more than Happy  to wait another 4-seasons, a Complete year, then see if the under 40s Covid Death rate

und dangerous Level infection rate, with no after effects, hold to a very low acceptable level. No worse than flu or Pneumonia average outbreak.

Then see no ICU-patient & emergency-overflows.

I will be more than Happy to come out again into the Big wide world & spread my wings & Let my 

Wheelchair Wheels Roll free of all the cobwebs & dust & follow or even discover new trails...

Have some fun & Offer myself as Meals on wheels for the Wild game while doing adventure safaris...

However, if the impatient under 40s, even under 25s are stricken down by the covid-blight, I just might go on the warpath myself to aid NHS & Care services

& Quicken up the Euthanasie for all those arrogant impatient  immature ,narcistic under40s... Just so I can guarantee an hospital bed, for my future hip Operation or even a comfortable last Quiet Days on my death bed, and that my Relations & greatgrankids  can enjoy a damn good get together for my Funeral & wake.....

With tears in their Eyes saying ,Yes he was hard & a right barsteward but his heart & Soul were in the right place..!!

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:
For those wondering, the Isle of Man has followed an elimination strategy of the virus, led by strict management on the borders for the majority of 2020

Is the Isle of Man an island?

• Haha 4

On 07/02/2021 at 09:39, reynard said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/09/australians-stranded-overseas-say-slashing-arrival-caps-makes-returning-home-near-impossible

Not popular obviously but Australia has restricted the number returning and made them go into enforced quarantine for 14 days.

Yesterday not a single case in Australia and 30000 fans allowed at the Australian Open.

I understand what you are saying but things can and have been done elsewhere in the world.

It is seriously unpopular with Australian citizens struggling to get home I can tell you that.

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:
For those wondering, the Isle of Man has followed an elimination strategy of the virus, led by strict management on the borders for the majority of 2020

Meh. Sausage fest

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would have agreed with you a year ago, but it seems impossible to make a sensible point that most people are at low risk and should be getting on with life while we protect the vulnerable.  The fervour with which people are happy to **** over the whole country when we could protect the few is insane.

I Think you missed my dry wit and veiled sarcasm...;)