Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Brighton Pre-Match Thread

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Two changes: 

Praet for Maddison: I think we need to be rotating Tielemans/Praet/Maddison each game. Maddison to start Vs Chelsea in the cup.

Perez for Albrighton: Pretty obvious change.

Also I’d like us to utilise our subs better for this match, we have 5 for a reason! 

60 Mins: Mendy and Maddison. Against tired legs these two will help keep the ball moving in midfield and control the tempo.

70 mins: Kelechi and Gray. Lets hope Gray can put in another good performance. 

80-85mins: If we’re winning maybe we can bring on Morgan or Fuchs to help see out the game. 

Dropping Maddison is creative suicide - what we need is more creativity further up the pitch as Madders is playing as a deep playmaker. Playing Albrighton for his crossing ability is a waste of time if he's just gonna be crossing to Vardy who's in the middle of 3 defenders. 

Our other creative players (Youri is one of them) need to play and be able to get forward and utilised. 

We need movement and creativity - the players on yesterdays showing who have potential to just that are Chilwell, Madders, Gray, Youri, & Vardy. Which means to me adding against Brighton a Nacho and or a Perez for Barnes and Albrighton.

• Like 4

It is really, really important we win this. Getting into a losing slump won’t do us any favours at all. Sounds drastic but lose this and I think we will see a decline towards the end of the season. 

Go with the side that beat Villa 4-1 at their place, minus Riccy. Only 8 games to go. HAVE to pick up full points in at least four of them. 

31 minutes ago, Shane said:

Two changes: 

Praet for Maddison: I think we need to be rotating Tielemans/Praet/Maddison each game. Maddison to start Vs Chelsea in the cup.

Also I’d like us to utilise our subs better for this match, we have 5 for a reason! 

60 Mins: Mendy and Maddison. Against tired legs these two will help keep the ball moving in midfield and control the tempo.

80-85mins: If we’re winning maybe we can bring on Morgan or Fuchs to help see out the game. 

Dropping our most creative player? Ridiculous 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Haywood_6 said:

Why are we hard pushed to take points from those teams? We are above all of those teams in the league for a reason.

Yes, that reason is we had a long period during this season where we consistently spanked small fry and mid-table teams for fun. With Ndidi's injury we sort of lost our stride and have not regained it yet, and we're running out of time to do so, with Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves and Spurs having exceptionally easy run-ins.

• Like 1

Not gonna go in the 'must win' category just yet. 

Think back 4 will stay the same. 

Reckon we might see Hamza from the start. Barnes to keep his place despite being quiet yesterday. Maybe Perez in for Albrighton and Praet in for Youri. 

I can see us getting more success out of our normal formation than yesterday. Watford sat very deep probably hoping to catch us on the counter and they nearly did, but it was tough to break them down. Brighton don't usually play that way and look to get forward more often as opposed to contain pressure. 

17 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Why are we hard pushed to take points from those teams? We are above all of those teams in the league for a reason.

But look at our performances since Christmas. We lost against Burnley, Norwich and Southampton, looked far from convincing against Wigan,  Brentford and Birmingham.

We are in the position we are due to our exceptional pre Christmas form. Something changed at Christmas, I dont know what, (City and Liverpool battering? Ndidi injury) but we havent been the same side since.

We seem afraid to do all the things we were so good at early season. We now persist to pass it sideways between Chilwell, Caglar, Evan's and Justin and back for eternity, the opposition press and we lose it. No real clue how to get forward.

Edited by Foxin_Mad

This is our second easiest game left. Should really be picking up all three points, although Brighton under Potter are deceptively competitive imo.

Perez in for Albrighton would be my only change. Would be tempted to start Iheanacho as well, in case Vardy needs easing in to this brutal run of fixtures - the majority of the remaining games would be ones where I couldn't really see dropping Vardy to be a great idea.

I'd like to see Praet back in the side. Thought he was really starting to establish himself before the lockdown. Good linking player and was more influential than Tielemans before the shutdown.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Shane said:

Two changes: 

Barring injury I’d say Praet would start too but would replace Tielemans not Maddison ..   can’t see him being dropped at all.   Perez would also be a good starter in place of Albrighton ...  but based on yesterdays performance maybe Gray deserves a start and could replace Albrighton or the ineffective Barnes.   Rest of the team as was. 

With regard to the subs whilst people say if you’ve got 5 use them it’s not quite as simple as that ...   5 changes can really disrupt the dynamic of a team and could easily backfire ...  I’d stick to 3 or under unless there are some very tired legs,  several injuries, or, we are behind and playing shit and drastic action is required.

• Like 1

My worry is that we have slipped back into some old bad habits and haven’t got a lot of time to get out of them. Limited chances and Vardy and Barnes almost anonymous for example.  Spurs have benefitted most from the break with a revitalised team ...   Manu (despite their last performance) seem like they are improving and Pogba will make a difference ...   Wolves still look very good and are sneaking up quickly,  and I doubt Chelsea will have regressed.

Our players are still some way of full match fitness. All of the games that have been televised so far have had that pre-season friendly feeling to them and although competitive it's not a surprise teams appear largely disjointed at the moment.

I'd still expect us to be quite rusty for this one. Hopefully our quality shines through to get us the points but based on what I saw against Watford I think it's going to take another 2-3 games just to get back to the same physical levels we had during our great run earlier in the season. Luckily this applies to all the other teams too and Brighton as opposed to Watford are a bit more of a footballing team, which might work to our favour.

There were periods against Watford where we dictated the play and got our passing game going, and I'd expect to see us be even better at that against Brighton. But the issue is converting that territorial advantage into dynamic quick attacking and because of a lack of match fitness we could still be lacking in that department. For me Harvey Barnes summed us up quite well, a player who earlier in the calendar year was truly electric couldn't get started!

That's why for me the first 3-4 games are very much a coin-toss. This is a truly unprecedented turn of events so there's no previous experience to base things on!

Regardless though, come on you Foxes!

Gray deserves to start I think, probably for Barnes. 

I wouldn't mind trying to get Ihenacho in to have more of an attacking threat but not sure if Brighton is the right game as they could easily dominate midfield if we're not careful. Ndidi and Praet (if fit) are going to be massively important for this. 

I'm still left scratching my head when Albrighton and Chilwell try high crosses when

1: we have no height and usually only JV in the box

2: when it's food and drink for the defenders whether we have height or not anyway....

Albrighton needs to adapt if he's going to play to offer something else other than percentage crosses. 

Gray showed exactly what we needed by offering width but also playing to our strengths by playing low balls across the box and working openings by being more unpredictable. He also was on the left and right. 

I might want to see Gray for Barnes and Ihenacho for Albrighton and then let Brendan sort out some sort of system where Gray, Maddison, Vardy and Ihenacho can all offer a central and wide threat between the four of them. 

• Like 2