Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Brighton Pre-Match Thread

Kasper

Chilwell

Cags

Evans

Justin

Ndidi

Praet (if fit, if not then Hamza)

Maddison

Barnes 

Vardy

Perez

Torn between Gray/Barnes, would start Barnes as he's more consistent and if we need Gray we bring him on.

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our players are still some way of full match fitness. All of the games that have been televised so far have had that pre-season friendly feeling to them and although competitive it's not a surprise teams appear largely disjointed at the moment.

I'd still expect us to be quite rusty for this one. Hopefully our quality shines through to get us the points but based on what I saw against Watford I think it's going to take another 2-3 games just to get back to the same physical levels we had during our great run earlier in the season. Luckily this applies to all the other teams too and Brighton as opposed to Watford are a bit more of a footballing team, which might work to our favour.

There were periods against Watford where we dictated the play and got our passing game going, and I'd expect to see us be even better at that against Brighton. But the issue is converting that territorial advantage into dynamic quick attacking and because of a lack of match fitness we could still be lacking in that department. For me Harvey Barnes summed us up quite well, a player who earlier in the calendar year was truly electric couldn't get started!

That's why for me the first 3-4 games are very much a coin-toss. This is a truly unprecedented turn of events so there's no previous experience to base things on!

Regardless though, come on you Foxes!

Whilst it's semantic, I do think that labelling Watford as a non-footballing team is a bit harsh. Pearson has them pressing brilliantly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst it's semantic, I do think that labelling Watford as a non-footballing team is a bit harsh. Pearson has them pressing brilliantly.

Well I didn't say they are a non-footballing team, I just said Brighton pass it around a little more, which is true!

Watford have the ability to mix it up and get physical, a trait we ourselves had when Pearson was here. Nothing bad about that, he's utilising the team in the best way possible - look at how much better they are under him compared to the previous two managers they had this season. My point is Watford's style is good against a team that is tired / not up to match speed as they can win their 50/50's and use that to create opportunities. Whereas a team that relies on possession football and dynamic transitions in attack are going to take a few games to get going. If Brighton play an expansive style as they did at the game at the AMEX earlier in the season, it should suit us a little more.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Strongest team for league....complete reserve team for FA Cup.

Once we have secured CL spot we can concentrate on FA Cup

That would be ridiculous. Best chance of winning the FA cup we've had in a long time. 

Give both competitions the respect they deserve. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We have Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, Sheff Utd and Man Utd. We would be hard pushed to get much return on those games unless our performance levels return to the early season levels where we actually try to score a goal. Before lockdown with the exception of the Villa game we had been pretty dire since Christmas  and yesterday way looked to play the same pass it around between the centre backs and get 70% possession. Possession doesnt win games.

Lose to  Brighton,cos we are kind,and foxes prefer Chickens to seagulls....Then win the rest...where is the problem..!!

If seems we have lost our faith and the Breath of  fear,is becoming  more contagious than Corvid-19....

Plus... blue until I die ....also seems to be quarantined

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

That would be ridiculous. Best chance of winning the FA cup we've had in a long time. 

We're playing 8 PL games in like a month, it will be difficult to do so without risking serious injuries and both competitions

5 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

We're playing 8 PL games in like a month, it will be difficult to do so without risking serious injuries and both competitions

As are most of the sides competing for the fa cup and CL

And we have an 8 point start over 5th .....

we’ll play a ‘full strength side’ on Sunday .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get some of the negative vibes, Watford away was a real banana skin against a team fighting for there lives, I think it a decent point.

I just don't see any team in this strange end to season, stringing together 6 or so wins out of the last 8 games!  If we take 10 points from our remaining games some is going to have 6 or 7 games to pip us at the post. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Best chance to win the FA Cup?!? We don't have a big enough squad to cope with the fixture congestion.

I'd rather we jacked it off and concentrated on securing CL spot. 

Would you really want us to get to Wembley and a final with NO fans?

• Like 1

Regardless of the competition, you play your strongest team game in game out.

You start by dropping Albrighton and go from there.

It's going to take 3 or 4 games for everyone to get up and running so I only see us playing no more than just over half of these at full pelt anyway.  There's no need to "rest" players.  They've had a rest for 3 months already.

• Like 1

Tempted to bring Iheanacho in alongside Vardy. Brighton are quite a big side and Vardy on his own might struggle if they park the bus and play on the break.We have seen this so many times against struggling but physical sides.Gray deserves to start even though he can be inconsistent.Would like to see quicker movement more chances created and goals of course.Very tough run in to say the least so we need the confidence boost of a win.

• Like 1

We need to get players in the box. we have defenders playing the wings well but the wingers aren't getting into the box to feed off the crosses from the defenders.

I'd replace Albrighton and Barnes with Perez and Iheranacho and have Gray as my first potential forward sub. Iheanacho and Perez are both more likely to get into the box than either of the wingers who played against Watford. I'm happy with Praet or Tielemans to partner Maddison and I'm happy to keep N'Didi or play Hamza as the holding mid. We have a much stronger midfield than Brighton and their attack really isn't as good as Watford's, but they have some big defenders who could cause us similar problems to Watford if we allow them too.

Most of all I think BR has to insist on an attitude change. I was more disappointed with his tactical display than anyone in our team against Watford.

One change for me, Perez for Albrighton. Need someone who is likely to get in the box. I'd give Barnes and Tielemans another chance. I would be tempted to play Iheanacho and Vardy, with Maddison and Ndidi in midfield but it's about choosing the right hand to do it.

Teams like Brighton at home always make me nervous, they have been dreadful away from home too but that makes me even nervous. 

As always with games like this, score first and early and I think we'll win comfortably. Interesting to see how we play without the nervous home crowd which can be uncomfortable to play in. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't get some of the negative vibes, Watford away was a real banana skin against a team fighting for there lives, I think it a decent point.

I just don't see any team in this strange end to season, stringing together 6 or so wins out of the last 8 games!  If we take 10 points from our remaining games some is going to have 6 or 7 games to pip us at the post. 

A decent point yes, but I do get the concern of a number of posters who fear our grip on a CL spot could slip away. After the psychological blow of conceding a last minute equalizer against Watford and throwing away what would have been a priceless victory, the Brighton game becomes critically important. How important? If we fail to win it the gap to Wolves could and, given their next couple of fixtures against Bournemouth and Villa, probably will be down to 3 points or, if we lose to Brighton, 2 points by the time we play Everton. If this scenario plays out how would our path to the CL look then with a tough set of fixtures upcoming for a team that hasn't hit it's stride since Christmas and with a resurgent Man U coming up fast in our rear-view mirror? On the other hand, a win against Brighton and Wolves would be looking at an 11 point gap prior to playing their next two games.

I’d go for same team but Praet in for Tielemans and Gray in for Albrighton. I understand Gray may very well be shite again but he played so well when he came on yesterday I think he’s earned a chance and I’m a big believer in rewarding  good displays. We’ll see. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

This fast turn around football is great, but fear I'll be copy and pasting my previous posts before not long. 

If Perez isn't quite ready, then based upon his Watford game, I would give Gray a start over Albrighton (sorry Marc)....oh no...Admiral Akbar is turning in his grave, hang on a sec...is Admiral Akbar dead?...well either way, he's not happy with me suggesting Gray should start. 

I just have this daft suspicion that Demi might be able to finally deliver the goods...there, I've said it (again)

Well, there's no crowd, he's playing for a new contract with us or elsewhere, perhaps rediscovered his hunger from the lay off...I don't know what it could be, but he could, COULD just do it (again). 

I've written him off so many times (I'm a dreadful manager, that's why I work alone) but this is my last chance for him...I'm writing him on...Demi...DEMI...I'm looking at you...come on.  

I'd love to get Iheanacho on the pitch from the start as well...it just requires a lot of work and it hurts my head at how that looks. 

Other than that, same line-up we had against Watford and as many have said, manage the bleedeh game berrer, use the subs.

That said, perhaps Brendan is like me, I still don't how the new substitute system works.

From what I understand, you can only bring on Subs when there's an odd number on the clock and the Ref has received a written request from the Manager, correct?

• Haha 1